1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot Bunny Threa(t/d) IV

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Sep 1, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think having Mia be just a regular, nice person would be a good idea. Then she dies a horrible, brutal death saving Harry from something, leading to catalyst etc.

2. Mutton

Mutton Order Member

Come on, don't fridge the poor girl; that's just lazy writing. Why not have her being the regular, nice person a plot point? Something went wrong with the selection criteria, and maybe if the system is glitched, they can use that to find a way out

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, that's fine too. And fridging? Well, yeah, technically... but in writing, as in all things, I'm a consequentialist. If I expect writing something to produce a desired reaction from my readers, then I'm going to write it. I don't particularly care if it's a trope or not. To be honest, it's kinda hard (read: impossible) to write anything that doesn't have any tropes, and "fridging" hardly seems like it's at the top of the list of "lazy writing techniques", so whatever.

4. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

Everyone forgot about Helen of Troy, the veela? I can see some good interactions for her.

5. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

We should probably create a group for this to avoid cluttering up the thread.

6. Daidalos

Daidalos Fourth Year

Considering the egos on display, I wouldn't be surprised if some (many?) of the "villains" on the list were angry with the games' organizers as well. I can't imagine "god-kings" being pleased about being snatched from their glorious kingdoms to compete in some silly tournament. So, perhaps the heroes might find some very dangerous allies where they'd least expect them, if they should go the route of overthrowing the organizers.

Of course, the problem of treachery would remain; there could be one or more would-be defectors in the group, just waiting for the opportunity to be the last champion standing. Actually, I can imagine Canon!Snape counselling Canon!Harry to do just this, as it's the only way he can conceive of Harry to persevere in the face of that formidable an opposition. Or maybe he'd wait with that counsel for an opportune moment, since he wouldn't trust Harry's guile (or Occlumency) to be up to the task of concealing any deceitful intentions.

7. Henry Persico

Henry Persico Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Loved the idea, but you're focusing on some characters while leaving a lot of them behind. Think about it: you can't apparate in the arena but you have a LV who can fly (something the others can't do) and can use magic without aid of a wand. D'you think that's tough? He's not insane. Maybe he doesn't win, but he sure as hell survives until the end.

8. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

This is more a question than a plotbunny: How would one integrate HP with WOD in an interesting way? Like, how does one write Harry as a vampire? And what clan would suit a story like that best? Tremere is the most obvious and interesting, especially since Tremere was out to get immortality like Voldemort -- and had a much more interesting (and successful?) plan.

Actually, a general question would be... how the fuck do you write vampires so you don't immediately turn off your readers? Not making Harry one from the very beginning is the most logical, and preventing pointless brooding is paramount, but then...

And how do you resolve Hogwarts vs the rest of the magical soceity in WOD?

Would a crossover like this be any good to read? I've been thinking a lot about it... It doesn't help WOD's lore is so convoluted and vast and I barely know two tenths of it. And it doesn't seem to lend itself to Hogwarts as a setting, it'd be better suited for a meandering or city-working Harry.

9. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I've gotten this strange Plot Bunny when playing Doom 3 yesterday:

In this AU, Harry would play Doom 3 during summer before his third year. It would scare him greatly, but he wouldn't think about it that much while at Hogwarts, due to the threat of Sirius Black.

A part where Harry arrives to Hogwarts would be the same as in canon. Divergence would come during Lupin's DADA lesson, where Lupin would explain that Boggarts can actually be dangerous. They feed on person's fears and gain power through it, but they can be rather easily disposed of when there are more people at once that can cast Riddikulus charm.

Then, Lupin would actually let Harry face the Boggart, who would transform into Dr. Betruger. Boggart in this form would be able to scare off not only Harry, but some of Harry's classmates too. A Boggart would get more power because of it and eventually he would be able to summon imps and transform people into zombies.

It would be interesting to watch how students and professors would fare against Betruger and his minions. I have yet to see Hogwarts castle as an outpost of hell too :p.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You'd have to jumble about the timeline then, seeing as Harry Potter is at Hogwarts in the '90s, and Doom 3 came out in '04.

11. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I know. It's just not well thought out plot bunny. It's not supposed to make much sense. Let's just say that it came our earlier or something.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  12. South of Hell

South of Hell Third Year

Playing Doom, let alone Solitare on a Windows 3.11? What a riot.

13. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Thinking of making a Harry Bellatrix story where she survived the final battle and Harry tasks himself with taking her down and killing/arresting her as an auror. Not going to be romantic, but rather a revenge story for Sirius etc;

But trying to create a realistic scenario where Harry lets go of everything around him and essentially becomes consumed with finding her isn't coming to me... Was thinking that she chose to torture Mrs Weasley ala Longbottoms

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Have you read "Only Enemies"? It's a fairly decent Harry & Bellatrix fic that's got them pegged as enemies, without romance and redemption bullshit. Abandoned though, so be warned.

15. Andrela

Mind Purists

This divergence happens in the times of the Hogwarts Founders and has consequences reaching modern times.

Instead of Salazar Slytherin, it is Rowena Ravenclaw who is driven out of Hogwarts after fighting with the other founders. Rowena believed that those with superior intellect should have a right to eradicate those less bright than them. She did not care if someone was muggleborn or pureblood, as long as they were intelligent enough.

Quite naturally, other founders did not like the idea of executing not only muggles, but wizards as well. Rowena was forcibly removed from the school and left to create her own cult, in which knowledge was celebrated, while ignorance was a capital offense.

As Rowena's dangerous views spread through Britain and eventually the rest of the world, we fast forward to the modern times that is the early 1980s.

British Wizarding society is very different from the one we saw in canon. Blood purity is almost non-existent (except in a few very rare cases), it was instead replaced by intelligence supremacy.

Lady Cognitia, sometimes called You-Know-Who, is waging a war against the British Ministry of Magic. Her loyal soldiers, the Mind Purists are on a quest to murder those suspected of not being smart enough.

Albus Dumbledore and his former apprentice Tom Riddle are leading two resistance groups against the Wise Lady. Albus leads the Order of the Phoenix, while Tom leads a loyal group of followers called the Basilisk Society.

Fortunately for Lady Cognitia, Albus and Tom do not always agree with each other’s methods. While Dumbledore prefers diplomacy and defense, Riddle often resorts to violence and darker solutions.

At Hogwarts, being sorted into Ravenclaw can be a sign of two things: either a higher status among students, due to obvious knowledge and intelligence, or it can also mean arrogance, feeling of superiority and a tendency to become cold and unfeeling.

16. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That's utterly stupid seeing as it's even more arbitrary than blood purity.

I bet Rowena Ravenclaw was just a nightmarish know-it-all that sobbed in her Founder's quarters whenever Godric pinched her arse and Salazar put snakes in her bed.

17. Andrela

Bigotry being stupid? Who knew!

Come one, of course it is stupid. However, you'll find that bigots often find a lot of arguments for their cause, no matter if wrong or right.

For example, Mind Purists could argue that stupid people are harmful to society by not being competent enough. They could argue that the less intelligent are parasites and should be eradicated from the gene pool to improve the species.

They'd be wrong, but they could argue that.

Do not underestimate the willingness of people to bitterly defend their views, especially if those people want someone dead.

18. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

Except you know, intelligence is a horribly vague term. Who decides who's intelligent and who's not?

The extreme cases are obvious of course, but what's the cut-off? What determines if one is 'intelligent' enough?

19. Andrela

Why are you asking me these questions? I'm not supportive of this philosophy.

That's like asking FanFiction writers or J.K. Rowling for justifications of blood purity, there is none.

20. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

I didn't ask for justification, I asked for a method of classification.

The blood purity might not make sense, but there's a definite classification as to who's pureblooded and who's not. Something which is rather impossible to do with intelligence.

Not open for further replies.