1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Firefly OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by enembee, Apr 20, 2014.

1. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Dungoofed. Please send rolls to campaign DLP_Firefly, not DLP_FireFly

Character Sheets

William Davis
    Samuel Bose
    Nicholas King
    Jolene "Jo" Ang
    Gareth Clark
    Chang Stevens
    Morris "Momo" Phan
    Captain Long Sinh

The Manifest Destiny

Useful Links

Invisible Castle
    Invisible Castle - Campaign Link

Scenes and Pacing

When there's multiple scenes running, I'll introduce them with a distinct colour. If you can keep the title of the scene in the same colour in each of your posts, we'll be able to keep track of who is where.

After posting try to wait for either 24 hours or until everyone else in the scene has had a chance to post, before shooting off another of yours. (PS. I'm included in 'everyone else')

I'll try to bookend each round of character's posts with a description of how their actions affect the world around them.

Posts should be progressive and push the action forward (doing rather than talking). Conversations shouldn't be allowed to linger. The values of the show should be upheld. (i.e. snappy dialogue and quick progression.)

I'll frame scenes hard, coming in on the salient points and dropping out when they're done. Between scenes, use the OOC thread to discuss or PM to tell me what your character would do next. I'll try to frame the next scenes to suit.

PbP Format

• Prose should ideally be past/present tense, third/first person.
    • Speech in quotation marks. Thoughts in italics.
    • Link your roll to the relevant prose. Example.
    • Include the Scene title and colour at the top of your post.
    • Length of at least a couple of sentences.
    • I encourage you to add fluff/colour. Is there a pool table in the bar? If you say so. Are the balls holograms? If you want them to be. Be inventive, stay reasonable.
    • One roll per post, except in really unusual circumstances. Rolls should be the sort of thing that change the direction of a scene, so try to keep them toward the end of your post. I think the only regular exception to this might be Notice rolls.
    • On Invisible Castle, there's a notes section with the roll. Use it. Tell me what dice you're using and why.

Preamble to First Episode

Hola, all. I'm going to open with two concurrent scenes. One aboard The Manifest Destiny and one in a small saloon where the Goldmund-Teller lot are trying to take in a bounty. I'm presuming that the crew will be aboard and the GTs are in the bar, but feel free to correct me. Perhaps you've decided to take some shore leave in town while the boat is docked, or maybe you're back on the ship a mite under the weather. Keep me guessin'.

Just for the record: anything that comes up mid-play that needs a decision, I'll come up with what seems like a fair solution to me on the spot and then bring it here for a discussion between all of us for future reference. That'll allow us to keep running with the game as swiftly as possible while giving us a chance to come to an accord.

If there's anything you guys want to quibble in this post, go for it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  2. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Quick questions about the more technical aspect of the PbP:
    -When we roll the dice, we have to enter the Campaign Name and it shall add it to the campaign page?
    -Can you add a link to the image of the ships/ship's character sheet also to the first post please? It's going to be easier to find it :)
    -You put "Momo" twice!

-What do you mean mid-play decision?

Now as for the actual scene/setting:
    -Does the crew actually know what the Goldmund-Teller mission objective is?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  3. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    He likely means when certain rules come into question, because there's always a bit of wiggle room for interpretation. It happens, but the end decision is always in the GM's hands.

Also, YAY!

4. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Oh I didn't understand it like that! Of course it's the GM's decision in that case.

INDEED!

Also Aekiel, you forgot to put the scene (in color) at the top of your post in the IC thread.

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nice catch, fixed.

6. enembee

High Score:
    This, mostly. But there's also bound to be some rules that don't quite translate to the PbP format.

Yes, put DLP_Firefly in the campaign field to add it to the campaign page.
    Will do.
    Nice catch

And it's entirely up to the Goldmund-Teller lot what they've told you. It'd make sense to me that they'd give you certain details, if not the whole story, but I'll throw that open to Aek and co to decide.

EDIT: Just for the record, I'm going to give a little bit longer in the initial stages for people to post. Partially because it's Easter Sunday and also to give people a chance to get into the swing of it.

7. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Appreciate this. I'll be active after this first day, but between family coming in and my girlfriend catching the flu with only me to take care of her, I may be stretched thin. I'll definitely post as soon as I get a minute, though.

8. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like I said in the other thread, I've never played a PnP RPG online before, so this is something that'll take some getting used to. Plus I'm new to this system, and with those combined I'm bound to fuck up somewhere. Just a forewarning.

9. enembee

High Score:
    No worries, we're all new to the system and I've never GM'd anything PbP before. Prepare for some noob errors.

For the record, if you wanted an additional D8 for your 'Fed' or 'Reader' distinction in the IC thread, I wouldn't be adverse to you rolling. Fed better suits the narrative you've established, but you could tweak it to utilise your 'Reader' die.

10. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

I suppose the problem I'm having is that I'm not really sure how IC it is for my character to be the one interacting with client that's all fanciful and well-to-do like this one.

I'll try to have something up soon though.

11. enembee

High Score:
    So tell me what else you're doing if you're not interacting with him. I set the scenes up as a guide mostly, trying to pull you into the action. If you think you'd be at the bar, or off doing something else on the ship, feel free.

12. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Hope that was okay. I'd actually written up two scenes. The first one was where I was performing some routine repairs and then hoping I didn't run into someone asking me to do something.

But I felt it didn't actually move anything forward, so I went with this one.

13. enembee

High Score:
    It's great, don't sweat it too much. For the record, at this stage, anything that establishes your character is moving things forward, but your post moves the plot forward nicely.

Just as an FYI to all, I'm going to give things another 24 hours from now to come in and then kick things off in earnest.

Also, just to point out, Aviary rolled a jinx. So expect your first complication to arise ;)

14. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Rolled a d12 and a d8, and got 6. Jesus, I hope it's not going to be one of those games :facepalm

Anyways, two quick questions. One, does that seem like a fair post, or did I get wordy/ruin what Sam had going? It seemed like I'd do the talking of the two of us, but I wanted what he already had to stand with what I was saying. I'm not sure how well I succeeded in balancing those, though.

Also, I wanted to ask about adding my invalid distinction to that notice roll. I could justify it with as a cripple I need to get a good read on folks so stuff doesn't unexpectedly leave me in a compromising position, but if that's a stretch to you guys then I understand. What do you think?

15. enembee

High Score:
    The post seems good to me.

I'd say you don't really have a distinction that could lend you a D8, but any of them could probably give you a D4 and a PP, if that's how you'd want to roll. Y'know, spending hours working or flying doesn't leave much time for interacting with and studying people. Or that everyone's demeanor changes when they're dealing with a cripple, making it hard to get a read on them.

Essentially, I'm more than likely to accept a D4 from anything that fits the narrative. Things are much more fun when they don't go to plan :D

16. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Okay, so I did what you mentioned and replaced my Notice skill with a d4 from Ship's Pilot (rusty at reading people from staying in the cockpit, etc.). If I understand correctly, that should just replace my normal d8 for Notice, so just ignore it. That's how I tallied it, anyways.

If that's wrong (or if you have a problem with me rearranging things now, for that matter), let me know and I'll fix it however I need to. Sorry, I'd check myself against the rulebook, but I'm on my phone this morning. Regardless, I'll be more cognizant of opportunities to use the "Roll a d4" triggers now; I wanted to see one in action before I tried, but I think I have a feel for them now.

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Did my first post woot! Rolled Operate with spec and used a D4 for distinction so I add a PP to my character sheet. Hope that's how it works?

EDIT: Considering your post just following mine, I should've used a D8 for my distinction then? I'll remove the plot point from my sheet. Do you want me to reroll?

18. enembee

High Score:
    You keep your D8, you just add the D4 to the pool. I'll stick here what I said to Riley via PM about distinctions:

19. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Okay, awesome. One last question: am I remembering correctly that you can use any two dice from your dice pool, and then there's a 1PP charge for every dice that follows? Just curious, I don't think I'll burn a PP on a 3.

20. enembee

High Score:
    Precisely this.

Just FTR, I didn't realise Invisible Castles distinguished by captialisation. We've ended up with two campaigns DLP_FireFly and DLP_Firefly.

DLP_Firefly (no second capital 'F') has the most rolls and that's the one I've been rolling to, if we could try to use that one from now on, that'd be awesome.