1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Firefly OOC Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by enembee, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Edited my post. I rerolled my dice (with a D8 instead of a D4) and ended with a lower score >.< Remove my PP from my character sheet and used the right campaign name.

2. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Did you re-roll them because of the campaign goof or for some other reason? Either way, keep the PP and the original roll— provided we all continue rolling on the correct one from now on, that'll be fine.

3. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

I re-roll because I didn't use the right dice mostly and use my trigger inappropriately. My result went from 12 to 10 so it's not so big of a deal (I hope :p), but I'll change it back alright.

4. enembee

High Score:
    Oh right, I see what you mean. Sorry to keep flip-flopping but I'll actually take your second roll and run with that. Leave the PP on your sheet as you've taken a jinx anyway.

5. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

All right! Haha. No problem.

6. enembee

High Score:
    Just to clarify from the other thread:

The Saloon is suffering from a complication Mighty Rowdy Locals (D6).

The Manifest Destiny is suffering from a complication Unreasonable Customer Demand (D6).

William is suffering from a complication Unknown Trojan (D6).

Gareth and Will take Plot Points from their jinxes becoming complications and Gareth takes a Big Damn Hero ( D8 ) for succeeding by more than 5.

There's also an Opportunity from one of my rolls that originally falls to Gareth, but will open up for anyone else to jump on if passes on it.

Does this make sense to everyone? Have I missed anything? Feel free to call me out on shit.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  7. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Accidentally rolled for DLP_FireFly. Won't do that in the future.

As to my post. I basically wanted to test Wolfe's knowledge about engineering. And I want to do it in such a way that makes me come across as only slightly a dick. Not a full blown asshole.

I hope I rolled that right.

8. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Re-rolled one of my dice because Distinctions are d8 rather than d6. Ended up exactly the same though, so not particularly useful.

9. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, just so I get this straight, I can spend the Plot Point I just earned to make that Mighty Rowdy Locals d6 complication a d4 instead? Sounds like a good idea, since I've still got another one to use. What would I have to write for that though?

10. enembee

High Score:
    Exactly, though once you step it back to a D4 it's removed from play. You could justify this in any way you like, browbeating the locals into being more compliant, for instance, or you could just say that's what you want to do, and I could justify it through the fluff.

11. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

So, I played the Trojan. Trying to trace it back but also to destroy it if it becomes violent. So do you want me to do a 2nd roll for Recovery or the roll I already did will cover both aspect of my action?

12. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I have a question too; given this new info from Will, can Nick do another notice check for further information? Or have I gotten all I can/that ship has sailed?

13. Red Aviary

High Score:
    When you say "in any way you like," does this include maybe showing off these psychic powers a bit? Like psychically suggesting multiple saloon patrons to calm down a little? I'd like to use them in some way, and it's a way to do this without attracting attention, which would be ideal. I'm just not sure if that falls under the purview of Reader abilities. The name itself seems to suggest mind-reading and clairvoyance, and that's pretty much what River had in the show as well. I could see pushing the boundaries of an ability like that as being a slippery slope too.

14. enembee

High Score:
    That ship has sailed until circumstances have significantly changed. The way that I GM is with skill checks as a test of skill rather than fortune. For instance, rolling to pick a lock, if you fail it's not that the circumstances were against you or anything, but that you've no experience with that sort of locking mechanism, or not enough manual dexterity, or whatever.

You've gleaned as much information from him as your eyes/head are currently capable of. Perhaps if you were to stare at him in minute detail you might make other observations, but that would be obvious to him.

I feel this'll have to be a separate roll. Roll this time to trace it back, roll another time to recover it. Purely on the basis that they're governed by two different sets of dice rules.

This isn't a straight up no, but not this time. If you want to, over the course of the season explore your 'reader' distinction and then perhaps buy another distinction such as 'writer' then I'd be happy to go with that. But readers are unusual enough without adding new powers to it in the first episode.

That said, there's no reason you couldn't showcase your reader powers, perhaps in a more subtle way than just overwriting their current emotions. Mind games are always fun, no matter the occasion ;)

Does that make sense/seem fair?

15. Red Aviary

High Score:
    Totally. Just thought I'd ask anyway. I'll have something up soon.

16. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Okay, fair enough; that seems like a logical system. I was just curious. Sorry I'm asking a question (or two) a post so far; I'll get a feel for it before long!

17. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

Alright. So this roll is to trace it back. And if I happen to need to recover from the complication, I'll just roll another in the next post!

18. enembee

High Score:
    First things first, Chang and Jo take PP for me using their jinxes to create The Gorram Law [D8]. Jo can take a second, for actually making me laugh the first time I read that line about the pigs.

In addition, I made kind of a dick move to Chang, in that I let you succeed but not precisely get what you want. This is mostly because of what I was discussing above— that I don't want to see people just spam the same checks against someone time and time again.

If you want to coordinate lending each other die, I'm more than happy with that. (Page 242 of the rulebook.) But if you're all running the same check against him, law of averages says that it'll pay out in your favour, which isn't necessarily the logical way of looking at things and I'll just take whoever rolled first.

I hope this is a reasonable justification.

That's fine, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I'd rather have questions asked than folks feel lost.

19. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

What would be a suitably irritating nickname I'd give to you. I was thinking Silver Spoon, but it seems cliche.

Also what is with this Barnabus guy. Advanced engineering knowledge and he worked for a Pharma company AND a PR campaign.

Also he's able to casually remember stuff from college courses, what, 20? 30 years go?

My senses are tingling. I'm not sure which ones yet.

20. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

I have a suspicion, but I don't want to jump the gun on it. If I'm right, this is going to be quite the episode. :D