1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witchhunt Game 4: Signups

Discussion in 'Graveyard' started by Prophylaxis, May 25, 2014.

1. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

These are the signups for the base set of Witchhunt, version 11.1.

I will just blatantly rip off ChocoPi's ruleset - tell me if anything is unclear and I'll try to clarify.

Overview

Witchhunt is a game in which two factions each seek to control their town by killing off the other: The Villagers and the Witches. There are fewer members of the Witch team, but their identities are secret. Whichever team successfully kills all of their opponents wins.

The game continuously marches through a daily cycle split into two phases: day and night. The length of each game’s cycle can vary; a real life game might take 10 minutes for each day and night, while a forum game might take a full week. Each phase has an announced deadline, at which point the game automatically transitions to the next phase.

During night, players may not make public discussion and any actions taken are private from other living players. Each night, the Coven of Witches selects a target to kill. Additionally, the Coven may chat privately at this time.

This kill is announced at the start of the next day. During day, living players may make open discussion and decide on a target of their own to lynch. Any living player may vote for any other living player, and a true majority (more than half) is required to lynch.

During this discussion, it may prove important to conceal information or lie. There is no restriction to what players can say or claim! Lies are normally weapons of the Witch team, but anyone can say anything in pursuit of their team’s victory.

Note that unlike some other games, there is no "card flip" (announcement of the player's identity) on death! Which team they were working for remains a mystery!

There will be a brief "pre-game" phase. During this time, players have received their assignments and are invited to post personal introductions, but may not vote. Also during this time private chats are active, and Witch team members may trade characters. Day 1 then begins immediately.

The game ends when one side has completely eliminated the other, or when this is inevitable. (For example, Witches typically win when at least half the remaining players are Witches, because it is then impossible for Villagers to out-vote and lynch them.)

Witches win all ties or stalemates.

Player Assignments (Character and Type)

Each player is given two assignments: a unique character, and a non-unique team type.

Unique characters provide every player with a special, unique ability of some sort. These abilities may be offensive or defensive, mechanical or informational. Powers granted by your character only apply while you are alive.

Team type is separate from character, and determines what team the player is on. There are only two teams.

Village Player Types:

Village Peasant (9) - This is the most common player type. Villagers are simply trying to hunt down the Witches and use their character to help the Village do so.

Village Clergy (2) - The most powerful characters are considered “holy” and have gold cards. These characters are reserved for the Village Clergy, and cannot be any other player type.
    (Being a Village Clergy have no other unique function besides getting a reserved character.)

Witch Player Types:

Witch (4) - Witches start in the Coven. They know each other from the start of the game, and vote as a group in the Witch Coven each night to kill a target.

Remember: Holy characters aside, any characters can be any player type - Villager or Witch!

Important Information

The Characters

Villager Clergy get one of these two characters:

All other types of players in this game get one of the following characters:

Character Keywords

Last Stand

The last member of the Witch team (with no extra lives) may kill two different targets each night.

Dead Players

Dead players may no longer communicate or vote with living players. They also may no longer utilize their character abilities. Dead players may communicate with each other freely, and may watch the game unfold.

It is important to remind dead players that they may not communicate with living players in any meaningful way!

However, dead players are NOT eliminated from the game! Instead they continue to serve their side as an Angel or Demon.

Angels and Demons

All dead Villagers are Angels and all dead Witches are Demons.

Each night, the Angels may vote to protect a target from a single kill. Not only would the protected target survive a kill, but it is publicly announced that they survived. This information means that the Angel's protection has the potential to be a devastating double-blow to the Witches.

However, before the Angels make their decision each night, the Demons may vote to "Curse" a single target and prevent them from being protected by the Angels that night! (Demons must complete their vote halfway through any given night. The Angels are told who they are unable to protect that night.)

Angels and Demons vote by simple plurality, so dead players who do not wish to continue participating can do so with minimal consequence. Since Angels and Demons see all events that take place in the game and may discuss the game freely with each other, they can continue to have a massive impact on the game’s ultimate outcome!

Special Dead Player Cards

Some dead players are given special cards to further influence the game. Dead players may pass these cards to other dead members of their team if they would like.

Angels:
    Demons:
    Q&A

How does protection work exactly?
    Things that give protection are worded 'protected from a kill', meaning they protect from a single kill that night. Protection does stack, so if you have two sources of protection (say you are the Recluse and Angels target you), you can survive two kills in the same night.

How were PMs handled?
    Role assignment PMs and QTs were generated and sent in the order of signup.

How are night actions resolved?
    Gravedigger and Bomber's Bomb replacement (if needed) happens immediately.
    Demons curse votes and any special cards are due halfway through night.
    Everything else, including Angels, is due at the end of night.

Explain how Witches can trade characters?
    During pregame, the moderator may let Witches may trade characters among themselves if they feel it would mitigate "meta"-based trends. This is a privilege, not a right. Witches will only be allowed to trade both characters with another Witch--they may not actively optimize characters into new combinations.

Is killing two people with Last Stand optional? Is it announced?
    Yes, you can kill only one person; the town is not told when there is only one Witch left.

Is the deal random?
    Yes, completely.

Rules
    (inspired by Xylthixlm, stolen from Ged!)

[1] I will enforce the rules strictly, because I'm evil like that.

[2] Your vote must be in bold and not be in spoiler tags or in the middle of a huge wall of text. You don't need to unvote before voting.

[3] If my vote count doesn't seem to reflect your vote, just revote.

[4] Lynching requires a simple majority. You may vote no lynch, which also requires a simple majority. You can post during twilight.

[5] Once your death scene has been posted, you're dead. Dead people don't make forum posts. If you make a post after you are dead, I will hunt you down. For the record, I actually have a text file on my computer of all the people who've broken this rule in the past. I may or may not have plans for it. Also, don't post during night (take care by refreshing the page).

[6] Post at least once every 24 hours, preferably much more. If you don't, I'll hunt you down. And prod you. After that you’ll be given at most another 12 hours or so before you are either replaced or modkilled. If you're going to be without computer access for more than 48 hours, let me know ahead of time either in the thread or by QuickTopic. Remember, people: if we work together we can have a replacement free game, but that can only happen with your help.

[7] No funny stuff like invisible text, tiny text, cryptography, or acronym claims. In addition, don't use personal codes/references no one will understand other that the recipient.

[8] Don't edit posts.

[9] Don't quote PMs or QuickTopics. In addition, PM formatting conversation is strictly prohibited. Don't quote messages from the mods or timestamps, either.

[10] You may not talk outside of the thread to anyone about anything that goes on in this game, except in observer/angel/demon/dead/ etc chat. Period. Whether you're dead, or they're dead, whether they're in the game or not. The only exception is if your role specifically allows it.

[11] Have fun and be nice to the other players and me, even if we don't deserve it.

I reserve the right to modkill any player who breaks any rule [6] or higher. This applies especially to [11], but also note it’s application to [6]. I do not like making people replace into my games. I do not like spending time looking for replacements. I do not like slowing down the game while we go through this whole song and dance of looking for a replacement. Modkills circumvent all these things.

Voting and Deadlines

During the day, living players may post in this thread and vote to lynch a target. (Please make your votes bold.) You may change votes at any time during the day.

At the end of the day's deadline, if a player has a majority of votes, that player is lynched. If no player has a majority, or a majority of players vote to no lynch, the decision defers to the Judge. The Judge's identity remains private, and the result is announced. If the Judge is dead or otherwise wishes, no one is lynched.

If a player gets a supermajority of votes (a predetermined highly excessive number), the day will end early, regardless of the time remaining in day.

The number of votes that constitute a majority and supermajority will be clearly posted at the start of each day.

Queued Actions

Players may have to be away from a computer when they would desire to make critical game decisions or posts. Players can work with the moderator in advance to easily address these circumstances.

If you are AFK and want to queue an action related to your role, post it in your QT. (In <b>bold</b>, using HTML tags) You cannot queue votes except in extraordinary cases.

You can queue posts for group QTs, if they are explicitly specified. The moderator will copy and paste the queued post to the group QT at the start of night.

Deadlines

Deadlines will be 72 hours for day, 24 hours for night.

In addition, due to the stress and panic of other deadline systems I have come across, I will be rolling my own personal deadline system, adapted for DLP.

There are up to three public deadline extensions available. These extensions may be requested by the players at any time in the thread, and may be granted at my sole discretion. Don't be mad if I say no.
    The options are as follows:

- Once a particular extension is used, it cannot be used again that same game.
    - Any number of extensions can be used in the same game Day.
    - If the players do not specify which extension they wish to use (or if there is no consensus on which one to use), I will pick the remaining option highest up on the list.
    - Extensions are appended to the deadline time. There's no need to strategically time when the request is made.
    - At least two players must request an extension for it to be considered.

Signups

2. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

In and ready to role witch again.

3. blab

blab Second Year

I am in to dominate.

4. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

I want to play in this.

5. Vaimes

Vaimes Fifth Year

/bounces in

6. Vira

Vira Third Year ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, fine.

/in.

7. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Proper forum witch hunt? Aww yesss /sign

8. Rubicon

Rubicon High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

In

/10chars

9. ika

ika Temporarily Banhammered

meh /i guess...

10. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Hot damn 4 witches? I didn't realize there was so many scum!

11. ika

15 players, 4 scums makes sense in aspect of ballence

12. Citrus

Citrus First Year

It does, I just haven't played a game with more than 3 scum in awhile

13. Bill Door

Bill Door The Chosen One DLP Supporter

When is this going to start? If this starts after the 29th I'm in, if not put me down to replace.

14. ika

-.-

FM 21 citrus? or have you forgotten about that already?

15. Titus

Titus Squib

/in as of June first

if game starts before that

/replace

16. Citrus

Citrus First Year

That was a long time ago for me, considering when I was last alive :p. Something like over a month ago

17. ika

offical death time of greenland:

April 13th, 2014, 03:04 PM

18. Citrus

Citrus First Year

Month and a half, there you go :p

19. MathBlade

MathBlade First Year

/obs or co-mod assistance

I am heading to my sister's in California til the 5th (She found out...Much as you were awesome to try to hide it ya'll. Thanks for being good townies DLP! Real life shot the surprise in the butt. I'm lynching its{real life's} butt because I've been working on surprising her for months :( But anywho back on point....) This game will probably start before then so doubtful I'll have much time to do anything then.

However if you are running short on players and it's stopping everyone else from playing I'll /in.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  20. Prophylaxis

Prophylaxis Squib

I will start the game as soon as we hit 15, and Lexicat has decided that she isn't hosting hers.