1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter Spinoff Movie - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Celestin, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Personally, that would kind of bore me, largely because Voldemort is simply a pretty one-dimensional bad guy. Even the Backstory that we know about him isn't all that encouraging. He was a monstrous bully at the Orphanage, he pretty quickly joins the Blood Purity camp (even though he knows he's Halfblood, his Magical half is pathetic, and he probably was bullied by some Slytherins for being a "mudblood" early on).

I could see that happen (hell, that's probably the only way they could actually succeed in making this a trilogy), but I would still rather see a movie solely focused on Grindelwald and/or Dumbledore.

2. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'll throw my lot in with the Grindelwald crowd.

3. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    JUST SAYING

I hope they go with someone who has never been involved with the Harry Potter movies because, let's face it, this movie will be entirely different than what we've come to know -- in a good way, or a bad way, it's too early to tell.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I wish Guillermo del Toro would direct the film. He got offered before to direct Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince, but couldn't accept either offer as he was working on the Hellboy films.

6. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Quentin Tarantino maybe? xD

7. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I wish del Toro would do the whole series. He did Pan's Labyrinth right? Seems like he would have a perfect grasp of that subtle, slightly grim magic that we saw in the third movie.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  8. Riley

Riley Alchemist DLP Supporter

[​IMG]

9. afrojack

afrojack Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

lulz, I actually didn't mean to. But now I see it.

Seriously, though. Down for a darker rendition of the movies.

10. Budding_Owl

Budding_Owl Second Year

If there is one thing that Rowling can write well on, it is magical creatures. Plus, the trilogies would be much better than the HP ones because the viewer has zero expectations about the plot or the characters and so won't be disappointed.

The play may prove interesting though, hopefully someone will upload it on Youtube.

On the other hand, I think the Creevey books will be lousy. We have already read about the muggleborn experience with Harry, and we also know what happens to the character. I don't know what more can she write about him, though the magical brother maybe a new angle. :/

11. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    PROTIP: Check the date that article was posted.

12. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

Rowling posted a riddle/anagram on her Twitter account, something in relation to a new book perhaps here
    A bunch of people are working it out to contain at least some of the words "Newton Artemis Fido Scamander New York", but a redditor worked this out: "Harry returns! Won't say any details now. A week off. No comment." Seems pretty accurate to me on a cursory check. Is she doing an HP sequel?

13. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

A new book would be nice. Won't happen.

14. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hoped for: a new book.

Likely: Fantastic Beasts has a "frame story" set in the present and featuring Harry.

Still, JKR's previous tweet about working on a novel makes the "hope" possible, if unlikely.

Edit: Wait, no, it's been ruled out:

http://www.mtv.com/news/1955409/harry-returns-says-j-k-rowling/

Frame story it is.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  15. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Relayed from iRC discussion on this:

<Jorm`> I still don't understand why authors just don't write a few "What If?"-styled stories, that shed more background/world-building; even if, say, Harry and Hermione went romantic in the tent, if it's revealed that Narcissa likes muggle romance novels, then that detail would apply to the main canon series of events, too.
    <Jorm`> She'd make a killing if she did that.

Like looking into different windows of the same house, this could be used to expand the world quite a bit.

Another example: Mr. Weasley was killed in the DoM snake attack; we're introduced to his relatives at the funeral. Though the continuity would be different, the relatives would still have existed in the main series of canon events, unseen/not-mentioned.

16. Wtfitskenny

Wtfitskenny Second Year

I'm so hoping for a book about the Marauders school years.
    Not 7 books of course, but their 7 years split between 2 OOTP sized books would be cool.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Admittedly, I would read that, but I wish she wouldn't have written the epilogue and could have picked up a few years after Hogwarts. She just shouldn't have closed things off so tightly (and ridiculously, with that seventeen years later heart-warming bullshit ending). Ultimately, Rowling will end up wanting to fix the flaws in Harry Potter's universe but have her hands tied by her "happy ending".

18. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

TBH this sounds boring to me. I'd still read it, of course, but I'd be just as happy with a shorter, single book that hits the highlights.

I guess the first war against Voldemort would be ongoing at this time, so that's potentially interesting, but I don't think we have much indication that the Marauders were involved in it (at all). So it would probably focus on the Marauders just going to school, James trying to date Lily, them bullying Snape, treating Peter like a second-class friend, Lupin being emo, etc.

I'd much rather have a story about a younger Dumbledore, or the war against Grindelwald, or the adventures of some other character like Newt Scamander.

But then I've never been much interested in the Marauders. Sirius is potentially interesting given his family and how he broke away from them, so his potential knowledge of and struggle with Dark Arts /could/ be played well, but apart from that... yeah, not much interest from me.

But that's a personal preference. Loads of people like the Marauders.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

I was wondering if Harry Potter as the main character should be retired. I mean, how much earth shattering stuff can happen to one guy that is trying to live a normal 9-5 life? Maybe a story about a grandson of his would be cool.

20. AlbusPHolmes

AlbusPHolmes The Alchemist

This! So much. I think I'd lose my mind with excitement if she did this.