1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

"A Song of Ice and Fire" stories

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by purple, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Yeah, I can dig that. Robb needs a little bit of shine since he's been away from Jon for so long. Him and Theon are already pretty close as a result, and Jon's been steadily getting away.

2. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

I'm sure nothing bad will happen because of that. :rolleyes:

Though, your Jon is a big hit with Sansa, Arya and Bran. That has to count for something. He's the William Weasley of Starks. Cool, older brother, badass swordsman and the go to guy, travels a lot, has adventures. When he's older he'll bring a super babelicious woman and introduce her to the family. Taena has my vote8).

Check your PM.

3. Hashasheen

You mean Taena Merryweather? Pretty sure she's already married. In fact, her son was born this year in-game.

4. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

The joys of widowhood, man. Jon can introduce her to it. :)
    Okay, enough derailment.

5. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Please, let us not tread into the Myrish swamp's waters at all, when there's far more age appropriate pairings possible. Hell, even Mya Stone is better suited, and likelier, than Taena Merryweather.

Also, Jon really ought to be uncomfortable around the man who just stood and listened while his mother was raped, doing nothing, for the sake of some 'honor' or 'duty'. Clearly, he's a true knight of Westeros, and Jon ought to start raping some to match other boys his age.

6. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Dude, if you mention the swamp one more time... a certain mast will be raised. You have been warned.

But Odran, Jon Stormcrown is pragmatic. Pragmatic, I tell you. He's so pragmatic, that Arthur will become his mentor now. Why would Jon Stormcorwn care his mother was raped? He's pragmatic. P-R-A-G-M-A-T-I-C! Get it?

BTW:
    So Soars... has updated.

7. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

I thought pairing Mya with Jon was what Robert had in mind, though she is a bit older.

8. Hashasheen

Well, there is the uncomfortable reality that if he hadn't allowed it to happen or aided it, Jon wouldn't have been born. And given that this Jon isn't given to self-pity or whining, I can understand the argument seeing him make a partial compromise with that in mind.

9. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Okay the newest Lyanna chapter isn't all that bad. A bit rushed at parts(Manderlys) but overall not bad. And we had minimal exposure to Catelyn - always a plus. The authr felt generous in this one and let her talk Benjen out of joining NW, for now.

Edit:
    And you know what, Hash? I would totally be alright with that reasoning, your Jon has Pragmatic and Ready to compromise in his CS, but... but this is his mother we are talking about and he's just so blase about it all. It grates.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  10. Hashasheen

Well, he never actually knew her or met her. Interestingly, Jon's had at least three father figures in the game thus far (Ned, Brynden, Dovahkiin), but really no mother figures of any kind. Catelyn didn't like him and packed him off to the Vale. His meetings with Madam Meserole and Septa Alanna were too brief. No women of a maternal age in the Eyrie or Runestone, etc...

All he knows about his actual mother comes from songs or other people who knew her, most especially for Ned, who we can see in canon not to be especially glowing in his praise besides saying she was strong-willed, more than Robert thought she was and was wild with wolf's blood.

11. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

There's a very weak point to that reasoning I am about to exploit here. It all amounts to one sentence: Jon didn't know his mother.
    Are we to also deduce that when he meets a raped woman he'll just shrug and go on? He doesn't know her. He can't relate to her. Empathy fail. To reiterate, people he doesn't know/meet, aren't real(just stories or random strangers) so they don't rate much in the way of emotion-linked response.
    This whole conversation Arthur/Jon can be summed in:
    Arthur: Your mother was raped. We prevented her from leaving. Then we tied her down so she wouldn't abort you. My best friend, who also happens to be your father, turned out to be a monster and as mad as the rest of his blood. He just hid it better.
    Jon: *shrugs* It isn't like I knew them.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  12. Hashasheen

Pretty much their argument, coupled with "Well, we'll make use of him now and kill him later."

Mind if I send you the scene to look over?

13. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Going through it.

14. Hashasheen

15. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

The zing and confusion at losing True Knight Trait... no seriously, how could it happen? It is not like they shook hands with a kidnapper, rape-enabler --- oh wait. :facepalm

16. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

They seem happy about losing it though.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Right, I got a sudden inch for a Bolton/Stark centric fic (not a pairing, just the combo of those two families), where they're actually sincere allies, if not friends, and they go on merry adventures to flay down south. Anyone know about a fic like that?

18. guy26412

guy26412 Squib

Hasn't Jon already done that in story though with Wulf and his clan? Shouldn't he have lost the trait then? This Jon has already shown a propensity for giving people a second chance, I don't see why giving one to Arthur Dayne is any different.

19. Hashasheen

He should have lost it then yes (as I noted in the succeeding thread), but the difference there was that there were children, women and babes who were innocent within Wulf's tribe whereas Dayne was a singular being whose crimes were being thrown directly into Jon's face by his very nature. Recall the chat with Ned prior to his bout with Turner, where Jon sidesteps Ned's very good points in favor of his perception of 'civilians' within the tribe. :sherlock:

20. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

Born To Glory p.99