1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dark Souls II

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Fishy Justice, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh joy.

/sarcasm

2. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, 24.99€ for season pass, I guess? >_>

3. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm sure that's a decent chunk of content. The first game's DLC was pretty big, and DaS2 itself is pretty huge (and complete, even.)

I don't get the cynicism here.

4. Clerith

High Score:
    Trailer and guidebook showed some stuff that wasn't in the game... but was shown in the dlc video. From also had a "we ship complete games, no dlc promises" stance before.

Episodic dlc pretty much screams cash grab.

5. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

On one hand, the DLC content for DS1 was probably the best content in the whole game, and definitely had the best boss fights. On the other hand, the PvE content for DS2 was pretty shit outside a couple of really awesome areas like No Man's Wharf. Not really that excited, but I'll probably end up buying it almost immediately anyway.

6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Eh, I'd say the PvE content varied in quality. It was occasionally pretty cool, occasionally pretty shitty, mostly just okay. Which is mostly different from DaS1 because that game was a bit more varied in content (more really good content, but also more complete trash too.)

Also: until we find out how much content is actually in this thing, it's too soon to call it a cash grab, come on now.

7. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

Proper response to this DLC, once again by my hero.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKtwpicH4Jo

This game, is not loved. DS1 was loved, this is just disappointing failure.

8. Solomon

Solomon Heir

There are plenty of people who actually think this is the best in the franchise. I am not one of those people, because yet again they've failed to capture the magic that is Demon's Souls.

This is probably about as good as DaS1 though. Maybe a little better, DaS1 had some real shitshow areas.

9. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

I think when I reminisce about Dark Souls I tend to forget about Anor Londo and the post-Lord Vessel areas, it's kind of bizarre how much worse they are than what came before. I think the only area I like after placing the Lord Vessel is New Londo, which you can technically do before, I just don't like fighting 4Kids that early.

I started replaying Demon's Souls again - need to make a new character for DS2 PvP and can't be assed yet - and I had forgotten how amazing the level design is. For some reason I only remembered Latria as being all that special, but I think world 4 was even better, and so far pretty much everything else has been fantastic too, the only level I didn't love was 2-1, but 2-2 was great with an amazing boss. The combat is definitely a lot more awkward than the later two games, and grass is a much worse healing system than Estus, but I think it might be my favourite of the series.

10. Clerith

High Score:
    I think this is the worst of the Souls series, but still the best game to come out in a while, and I've already put 210 hours in and I'm still interested, so =p

DS2 really lacks that atmosphere and ...uniqueness about it. Like that one reviewer said - in case of boss fights, they tried to make them hard instead of interesting, and so we get a plain boss + a handful of adds.

11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Dark Souls 1's atmosphere wasn't great either. Anor Londo, Ash Lake, and the Kiln of the First Flame were both great in the atmosphere department, but everywhere else was kinda lacking.

I guess New Londo Ruins have half-decent atmosphere too? Maybe? I dunno. Atmospherically DaS1 isn't much better than DaS2.

12. Clerith

High Score:
    Today, I felt like I found the true spirit of Fashion Souls within me that also satisfied my inner killer.

Faraam set. Saint's Hood. Chaos Blade. Blossom Kite Shield on my back. Dragon Chime at the ready.

Sunlight Blade. Great Magic Barrier. Sacred Oath. Sunlight Spear. 50 Attunement to free all ring slots for Third Dragon Ring, Chloranthy Ring +2, Clear Bluestone Ring +2, Lingering Dragoncrest Ring +1 (where are you +2?).

I look the best I ever have, and had 95% win rate today on the bridge. And for the first time, I had people add me after a couple of fights, and ask for more duels.

13. Solomon

Solomon Heir

14. Clerith

High Score:
    Of course it's lightning infused. As is the Chime. Who the hell do you think I am?

And the wiki is correct, sadly. That ring is going to take a long, long time to get.

15. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Good, good. Yeah, having a relatively dedicated PvP build will utterly annihilate most people.

Just went ahead and updated my build a little bit. Basically just swapped out some armor for fashion souls reasons and upgraded some rings.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  16. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

That build is pretty much exactly the same is mine lol. Better optimized though, some good stuff in there. Also this build works great for PvE because you can take off the buffs and put in like 40 Great Lightning Spears.

17. Clerith

High Score:
    Aye, away with the Sacred Oath, in with the spears. And with that monster attunement + hood, you have more like 52 spears. If that's not enough, GMB is kinda worthless in most PvE too.

When I change into PvE mode, for weapons, I hate the life drain of Chaos Blade, so I use a Claymore. I also get a real shield, like King's Shield since Defender is so ugly, lol. You can also sub the buff ring with Life Protection or whatever you want.

18. Clerith

High Score:
    Double post, but ah wells.

So, the new DLC rings. The one that makes you stronger the less equip burden you have? I'm really hoping that it's meant for fast dex types to fight against havelbots and such. Doing <100 damage to havel + gmb + numbness, they're immune to backstabs in one way or another, and often using weapons that are impossible or hard to parry. What's a dex guy to do?

On another note, I've updated my build a bit. Changed the gloves to Looking Glass - 3x better stats, more poise, looks almost identical, fitting the set very well. Also got 60 attunement and changed Sunlight Spear to Forbidden Sun - almost as good damage, and much faster casting, faster traveling, easier to hit, wider aoe.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

The first DLC is out and it's extremely good. I don't care for the final boss, but the first boss and the optional one are both pretty cool.
    Having Jester Thomas invade you is an amazing dick move, and he even uses gestures.

The final boss is basically Kalameet, but squirrelly and with corrosive flesh; you're going to want to wear a bracing knuckle ring or keep a repair powder on your hotbar if you want to kill him without your weapon shattering. He shoots fireballs that are also toxic, which is fun. :(

I like most of the new equipment I've seen so far, but I think the armor set's probably a bit too good. It's not exactly the Havel set or anything, but it has extremely high defenses for its weight.

20. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

How would you say it compares to Artorias of the Abyss DLC? That shit was awesome. The levels were very well designed, the bosses were fun as fuck, and the relevant lore was great. Definitely worth the $10.