1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Any interesting examples G3?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
  2. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Honestly none that I can remember off the top of my head. If I remember any I'll post them. Most of them are something along the lines of,

"Well this story looks pretty good...Chapter 10, "Harry stroked Draco's long cock lovingly", WHY, WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM".

Or just any pairing I really dislike coming out of nowhere.

3. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

Thank goodness for that.

That fracas didn't look good on Kinsfire, and it certainly didn't look good on DLP.

Shit-throwing contests, by their very nature, stink... and no one comes away clean.

4. Ghosthree3

I have yet another peeve.

Fanon law saying Luna is anything more than she really is.

A lot of fanfiction portrays her as unusual and insane because she's actually a seer. Oh and by the way, all her magical creatures actually exist.

Instead of actually recognising that she may just be a damaged girl who retreats to a world with magical creatures as a compensation mechanism for her messed up home life and father.

It's become SO common that people actually recognise it as canon now. I'm not saying she CAN'T be these things, in individual stories where it's introduced and used in a useful way, I just have a problem with it being accepted as true for no reason other than to say, "No, this fan favourite couldn't possibly be abnormal, she's just too special to be understood. But I understand, she's something more!".

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Damn, peeves are one thing, but so many hatreds that it drives you repeatedly post throughout the day . . . There's medication for that.

6. Ghosthree3

Yes, I do tend to obsessively hate things. Not in a good way.

However I'll say that in this case it's more of an unbottling (is that a word) of years of accumulated tastes.

There are so many, many more, that I can not think of right now. That's probably a GOOD thing.

The first post I made wasn't so much a list of peeves (until the very end) though, it was my thoughts on what other people had already mentioned.

7. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

...there's a good way to obsessively hate things?

8. Ghosthree3

I guess if it drove you to fix real problems it could be. Fiction, not so much.

9. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

I just discovered one of my old pet peeves relating to the mass effect fandom, badly written alternative first contact stories. In those we often have Super! Humanity, Mustace twirling! Turians, and an all around incompetent Citadel Council. I'm tired of it, those well used tropes makes it almost impossible to find good alternative first contact stories.

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Only ME fanfic that managed to keep my attention long-term was that crossover with Deus Ex Human Revolution (and elements from a shitload of other universes), but after a while even that got too convoluted for me to keep up with.

In a way that ties into my pet peeve for huge info dumps, whether they're all in one paragraph or one chapter.

11. One-Eyed Othinus

One-Eyed Othinus Third Year

My country isn't a country; it is winter.
    There's actually a name for it, Humanity Fuck Yeah!

12. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    Not exactly 'Alternate First Contact', but Avatar of Victory by James Golen is pretty good. It's a crossover fusion between Mass Effect and A:TLA and updates regularly.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    A peeve that's kind of broader in scope than just fanfic.

Author writes a book series, creates fictional history for the created world.

Book series comes to an end, it's successful, fans want more.

Author decides to write a book about a big event from the past that was mentioned as a part of the fictional history he/she created. See every First Contact War fanfic ever, rumors about GRRM writing a book on the Targaryen conquest of Westeros. Where's the hook if we already know what happened?

14. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

This is the real problem with Marauder fics.

Well, one of them.

15. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    My guess is that the hook is in the supposed emotional investment in the characters.

I've noticed a few authors doing that now. Series such as: The Lorien (sp) Legacies (I am number four); Percy Jackson; Divergent; etc. I'm like you, though. I can't get myself to pick up the books because they're not part of the central story line.

16. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

Then there is Star Wars prequel trigology. Tough for the life of me I can't tell which side of the argument it falls to.

17. Ghosthree3

Those movies sucked anyway, no need to bother.

18. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

It's the journey, not the destination, that's important. Take a hypothetical Aegon's Conquest story. We know very little about the events, almost nothing in fact. We know nothing about the characters that would be involved.

For the the strength of a work of fiction is in the characterization and the imagery, the story is nice, but it is never my central concern so that as the characters and the story match up harmoniously.

This is why I can reread good novels many many times; a story becomes boring and known after the first read, while multifaceted characters, complex interactions and intelligent use of language and humour stay fresh for much longer.

But that may be just me.

19. DC

DC Groundskeeper

One pet peeve I had in canon, not fan fiction, was the use of the term 'blown up' in PoA.

I don't know if it's because English isn't my first language, but I'd always imagine an explosion when I read those words. She could've used inflated, instead I keep imagining little Marge-bits spattered over the kitchen when I revisit the beginning of PoA.

20. Ghosthree3

I can definitely see where you're coming from. English IS my first language and that is where I would first go to as well. The only reason I know what JK actually means is that she clearly did not die. Something along the lines of "I inflated Marge", or "Marge began to inflate", would be much clearer.

Perhaps in England the use of the words "blown up", or "blew up", more commonly refers to inflation though. I'm not really sure because Australian English, while originating from the UK, is heavily influenced by the US. Except for the spelling lol.

Not open for further replies.