1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That's because racism and the gap between the rich and the poor don't exist in the muggle world.

I honestly think the muggle world should be almost entirely ignored in fics.

2. kpjam

kpjam First Year

I think that's part of it. I also think it in part to show how awesome a family with Hermione will be especially in comparison to the Weasleys.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That is pretty funny. I don't mind fics where it actually makes sense, and the physical work isn't cheated, nor is it time-turner related.

In my fic, I specifically had Harry start out by rebuilding a rock wall, not even thinking about building up his body, then sent him to Durmstrang (long story) on invitation where he began training with future Aurors who all went to the school, and it was part of their training. All in all, it was still about 10 months, seven of which was dedicated training.

Even with that, I cheated a bit by depending on (1) genetics—explaining that his father had a major growth spurt/filling out around the same age, and (2) Depending on magic to give just a little boost to the natural body's changes (just like Harry's hair regrowing after they cut it when he was a child).

Anything shorter than that really is unworkable (I mean a large, overall shift in the body structure, including a true change in strength, rather than just larger muscles with little strength.).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Is your fic the one with Fleur and copious amounts of angst between her and Harry? I think I remember reading something like that, in the first chapter or so, a lot of people died.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yeah.

At least Harry doesn't cut himself, though. So there's that. ;)

6. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

In a setting where a potion can regrow all the fucking bones in your arm overnight, that nutrient portion is not a stretch.

Cheesy as hell, yes, but not a stretch at all :)

7. Ghosthree3

It's not that it's a stretch that makes it stupid to me. It's that if they existed EVERYONE would take them, everyone would look like a greek god. Either they truly don't care about their looks (possible for magical people who knows) or it hasn't been invented.

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Exactly. It's just like how some fics have Harry using magic no one ever thought of before, or using already existing spells in a way that others completely overlooked for unspecified reasons. None of it becomes relevant unless it's to boost Harry in some way.

9. Ghosthree3

I think Harry using magic others haven't thought of CAN be pulled off if you world build properly. You have to make magical people either incompetent, lazy, or stupid by default to make it work.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify a way to make Harry better than average. Because nothing bores and annoys me more than an incompetent or average Harry.

EDIT: Rather, "Harry using magic in a WAY others haven't thought of". No matter how stupid, I'm pretty sure someone new to the wizarding world can't figure out a form of magic no one else (or very few) have found.

Innovative methods of using it is plausible though.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2014
  10. kpjam

kpjam First Year

I agree that Harry become the next Albus or Voldermort can be fun and interesting. But the nutrient potions is just being silly. If I wanted a martial arts story, I'd read Naruto not HP. HP is about magic, not how appealing Harry's muscles can be.

11. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

I've never actually seen a story where nutrient potions were used to turn Harry into a greek god. I've only seen them used to correct the effects of malnutrition and a really shitty diet, both of which are believable in Harry's case.

If the potions turn you into Captain America, then yeah, everybody would be guzzling the things :)

12. Ghosthree3

I've seen both. I feel it's far too easy for the author to go "well he was scrawny...after this he should probably look something like Hercules". Either they want us to believe this is how Harry actually would have looked if he hadn't been 'abused' or they are telling us that the nutrient potions are that awesome.

Like I said though, I've seen both, I've seen a few where he just grows a few inches and abandons skeletor mode.

13. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

These are the only ones I've seen so far. Maybe I'm unconsciously editing the bad shit out.

14. Ghosthree3

Well this frankly covers almost all the stories written at FF.Net, but stories based on unbelievably stupid concepts. You just know the whole thing's going to be garbage if the summary isn't believable.

Why am I posting this? Because I just read this when I opened the HP sections (no filters) and got angry,

This doesn't make any sense, so everything is the same until he sees the mirror then for some reason he sees a girl he happened to see for about five seconds several months ago as one of his deepest desires? When he's 11 and probably still hates icky girls? Which even if he didn't still makes no sense.

...So...angry. I don't know how people even think they have the right to write something that stupid.

This is the get mad thread right?

15. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    Could be worse. I've seen it where he sees Snape and Lily in the mirror.

16. Ghosthree3

I hate to say this...but that's not as bad. She was his child hood friend (only?), I believe that 100 times over before I believe the above.

EDIT: Oops, misread the post as Snape finding the mirror. The reality is much...much worse.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  17. mknote

mknote 1/3 of the Note Bros. DLP Supporter

Because Harry totally knew that in his first year...

18. bbodysplash

bbodysplash Third Year

Reading that, I gasped out loud in horror.

19. Ghosthree3

What does that have to do with Harry...? I assumed he meant a Marauder era story where Snape finds the mirror.

20. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Obviously Pers was referring to Harry finding the mirror and discovering Snape was actually his father.

Not open for further replies.