1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Five Guys Shit Storm...

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Cruentus, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

2. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Who the fuck are these people and why do you think anyone should care?

3. Cruentus

I dunno, but apparently it's got a lot of people mad, I'm wondering if anybody else knows more, or if it's real or fake or...

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

5. Cruentus

Which is how I stumbled on it, apparently it's what people are calling it, I think. I just wanna know if there's any truth to it, or if someone is just bitching about bullshit.

6. Cteatus

Cteatus Seventh Year

Why not both?

I mean its not like journalism hasn't taken a massive decline into shit across all media formats in the past couple of years.

That said, his tone when it came to attitudes that people say are pervasive in gaming came across as overly hostile. If the allegations are true, then there is a certain level of corruption in gaming journalism. That corruption doesn't also change the fact that there is a certain level of sexism in gaming as well.

I suppose we'll see how much truth there is in these claims in the next couple of days. But even if it is true, this guy isn't directing vitriol against journalism institutions, so much as the over-arching ideology. Which doesn't really track for me, since he's not trying to expose corruption so much as further his own ideological viewpoint, and so he has his own agenda in making this video.

Ultimately, I'm not any more motivated to investigate these claims than I was before I watched his video. But then I'm generally a lazy bastard when it comes to these things.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

No idea who any of these people are, but I found the video interesting enough to keep on in the background while I prepped some food. Whether it's true or not it did make me think a bit about these things, though I wasn't at all surprised to hear any of it.

Granted it's only halfway done, but if I don't comment now I'll forget to later.

I'm not sure that talking about it and posting the video to youtube is going to do anything though, even if it is true. From what I've heard so far it sounds like she slept around a lot with people in the business, then pretended to get harassed RL in order to draw attention to her game and get it through Steam. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone, and some random dude no one has heard of talking about other people most haven't heard of isn't going to stop that sort of thing from happening.

Edit: I got bored before it finished.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

A literal who allegedly fucked like five other literal who's and one of them got butt mad and decided to make a blog and kotaku supposedly has a hand in this.

Who actually cares again?

9. Cruentus

Apparently a lot of people? It was drawing enough attention I was wondering if it was true, so my own curiosity is why I posted it.

10. Pieman

Pieman Seventh Year

I think the important thing about the story is the fact that basically all the major video game news sites are horridly corrupt and not that ho's be ho'ing, but we all probably knew that.

11. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Enough said. She's an attention whore, and an actual whore.

12. Otters

Otters Groundskeeper ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is just another of a billion examples of why this whole "internet social justice" crowd is utterly amoral and hypocritical. They condemn the morality of others as an excuse to feel superior, but do not adhere to that morality themselves.

I don't give a shit about who sleeps with who. I don't give a shit if she sleeps around to benefit her career. Maybe it's not a nice thing to do, but in a day and age where networking is everything, I can understand how powerful a tool it can be.

The issue here is the other stuff, like that women-in-gaming project she attacked. For those of you unwilling to watch the video:

- there was a competition where women would submit ideas for video games. The five best would have concept art made for them and put online, then opened to a vote. The internet would pick a winner, which would be made into an actual game.

- Zoe Quinn came along and claimed it was 'oppressive' and making women work for free. These women were only submitting the initial idea, not making the game, and would be paid royalties for the idea. She publicly attacked the person behind the project, aimed her fanbase of social justice warriors at them, and arranged for a media blackout on the project.

This was a good idea. Just in general, and for women in gaming. It provided a way for women without the technical know-how to get their idea published, removing the barriers of money, experience, and exposure.

Quinn and her legion of social justice warriors attacked this because they felt like it. The 'justice' in social justice tells you everything. These people don't support women, or homosexuals, or the transgender. They just want an excuse to attack people and feel good about it.

Trolls have been around for as long as the internet, and we've all experienced some trolling, whether good-natured fun or outright malice. Social justice warriors act in the exact same way, but claim it's moral, righteous behaviour.

They're basically the Westboro Baptist Church of Tumblr.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Pushing aside the whole drama about her being a cheating slut, most people have a problem with it because she slept with the guy who was writing up stuff online, reviews I think, for her game, and her boss, which obviously influenced how the guy wrote it up in the first place.

I think I remember hearing about this beached whale a while back when she was stirring up a false-alarm shitstorm about WizardChan, how they harrased her for posting about her game on their site, which they later proved to be untrue, but by that point none of the SJWs gave a shit, since they ran out of steam and fucks to give. How convenient.

tl;dr fat slob fucked, behind her boyfriend's back, with people that had a certain degree of influence over how well her game, Depression Quest, was received by the online media.

14. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

From what I understand, this kind of racket is exactly what she yearns for. I mean, I certainly had never heard about "Depression Quest" and Zoe before.

15. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Do you feel any more inclined to buy it? I don't.

16. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

After reading everything said in this thread, I can safely say, I still don't care.

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

tl;dr Zoe Quinn: Slept with Kotaku writers to get them to write articles bumping her game through Steam Greenlight [it's apparently only loosely called a game in the first place], had a boyfriend at the time. Slept with a couple other writers, manufactured a fight with one of the chans to get her game a lot of promotion from 'outrage' over a "female game developer" being attacked by the chauvinist internet yadda yadda.

She started to do some work with a charity and apparently aggressively destroyed it and took a huge public personal stab at the guy organizing it, but he's still trying to move ahead with the charity.

Basically picked a fight with 4chan, manipulated SJW/Tumblr crowd to defend her, and literally slept with the internet gaming press to also defend her and shill for her game, all while being in a relationship.

As of today /r/gaming is also by her request completely shutting down discussion of it [deleting all comments/submissions], but /r/videos has allowed it.

18. ElDee

ElDee Unspeakable

So... a woman has cheated on a man, games journalists are acting unprofessionally, an indie developer has engineered a shitstorm on the internet to generate publicity for their new game and Tumblr's ridiculous Social Justice Warriors have gone to war over something completely trivial rather than actually put any effort into fighting a real social injustice.

None of these things have ever happened before and I am honestly shocked that they are happening now.

Also I'm being sarcastic.

19. Solomon

Solomon Heir

She slept with 4 other indie developers (one of whom was her boss) and a writer for Rock Paper Shotgun. The RPS guy wrote an article promoting Steam Greenlight games including hers (and should probably get disciplined for it, if not fired outright.)

Her sleeping with other games writers was pure speculation on the point of the video maker.

Honestly all this bullshit really tells us is that A) Quinn and her ex are both awful people, and that B) that writer should probably get fired.

E: At least I think it was RPS. Either way, it definitely wasn't Kotaku.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  20. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Oh thank god I finally learned what SJW stands for.

At least something positive has come out of this mess.