1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Witch Hunts - why did they happen as they did in Harry Potter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Starfox5, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Longest to master an incredibly difficult well above NEWT level ability. This doesn't imply a lack of competence. Give me your canon evidence for him having more help from the others, please.

2. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

In GoF he doesn't put up smuggle repelling wards to keep frank Bryce away when Hermione does while camping-DH

3. Zennith

High Score:
    That's... not even slightly a good example. Mostly because why would they care if muggles found them? Muggles, such as Frank, pose quite literally no threat.

4. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Well because if Dumbledore suspects Voldemort of moving and a muggle dies of no visible cause near his muggle parents mansion, well Dumbledore would put that all together

5. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

I think it's hard to tell if Pettigrew was competent or not. I mean we don't really see many incompetent wizards do we? Neville was incompetent for some time, but only because he had the wrong wand and no self confidence. So do we know of any incompetent wizards we could compare Pettigrew to?

Personally I always thought Pettigrew would not be able to match the likes of Sirius Black, Minerva McGonagall etc in a one on one duel. He always weaseled his way out of difficult situations. In a fight against muggles he would probably win, as long as nobody took his wand.

That mob situations could have been dangerous for wizards if they were alone and couldn't apparate. Even the blasting curse Pettigrew used to kill 12 muggles has the obvious limitation that it leaves his back uncovered.

@ A.K.$J6-J5
    By that definition Voldemort would be a incompetent wizard too, after all he too didn't cast the muggle repelling charm. Maybe they didn't think anybody would find them in an abandoned old house, maybe it was an oversight on their part, but it doesn't say anything about their magical capabilities.

6. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves High Inquisitor

That's... precisely what did happen, actually. Still, Voldemort was just as much to blame as Pettigrew.

7. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

He was a homunculus and could barely cast the cruciatus

8. blizzarrrd

blizzarrrd Fourth Year

Well he could cast the killing curse on Frank Bryce.

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    And on Cedric Diggory. Perhaps I've been underestimating Peter.

10. Zennith

High Score:
    I love how you make these assertions with absolutely no basis in fact.

11. Knoq

Knoq Temporarily Banhammered

He actually fucking succeeded at that for the most part? Even when the Twins had the map, he still managed to stay safe and secure. Oh and he succeeded at brewing what must have been a ghastly complex potion to be ready for Voldemort, and most likely made the Homunculus that Voldemort inhabited until his revival. Even with Voldemort's instructions, that still took a decent amount of "Not being Neville Longbottom".

12. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

What potion?
    He helped invent the map, he knows how not get seen

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Bone of the father, flesh of the servant, blood of the enemy. We know nothing about the base of the potion beyond those three elements, but I'd like to thing it was something more complex than "get huge cauldron -> add water -> add bone, flesh and blood -> add Voldemort."

Hm, how competent of him.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  14. esran

esran Professor

Also if Pettigrew was incompetent that would be stupid. His entire character is to show that cowardous can make people turn evil. He was good in school, had lots of friends who were excellent people, and still went to the dark lord out of fear. By making him incompetent you ruin the theme.

15. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

He almost got found out because he was stupid enough to go out without a disguise

16. Zennith

High Score:
    Again, you say things with no tether to reality to support this bizarrely strongly held opinion you've got that isn't rooted in fact.

Sorry, the evidence is pretty clear here. When you start adding it up, you get a wizard who was able to fool and hide from even Dumbledore. I'd say, again, pretty damn competent.

17. pidl

pidl Groundskeeper

That part is canon though. Although the chances of having someone recognise him in Albania were pretty low.

18. esran

esran Professor

I thought we were talking about magical skill, not general skill.
    And I maintain that Pettigrew was skilled magically, but too much of a coward to do anything but run and hide. When he is actually forced into a confrontation he is quite skilled.

19. Zennith

High Score:
    Right. I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm saying it isn't a good argument against him being skilled.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I wouldn't call Pettigrew a coward per se. We saw him cut off his own hand with very little hesitation, and that's not the act of a coward.

Rather, I think he has a kind of moral cowardice. He's plenty brave when it furthers his self-interest. It's sacrificial bravery he lacks.