1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Is it weird that after I read 'because reasons' I started internally hearing the rest of the post as if read by the CinemaSins narrator (don't know his name).

EDIT: My new peeve - dumb cunts cunts writing reviews.

Yes, the story is a repost. If you want to ask if it's the story from a few months before, you could do it in a PM instead of a review, but whatever.

But when you ask if it's a repost and then reveal future plot element in the review, I take issue with that. If you did it deliberately, it makes you a cunt. If you did it without really thinking, it makes you a dumb cunt. There really is no reason to spoil the whole thing for people who are reading it for the first time, aside from being a dick.

But when you do the above in a guest review, making it impossible for me to respond and ask you nicely to not do that again, you make me want to cut you. You dumb cunt.

/rant

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  2. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

People who take every single canon line from a character and exploit the fuck out of it. This is primarily so the author can "justify" Dumbledore being a manipulative bastard, or Ron being a jerk.
    Pisses me off.

3. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Harry insulting purebloods and their "incest", ignoring the fact that his father, best friend, godfather as well as remus, tonks, the weasly family, Albus Dumbledore, Neville and Luna are all purebloods

4. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

Dumbledore, Lupin and Tonks are, canonically, half-bloods. But still, your point is well made.

I get a bit annoyed when I see the author wank over the scientific method. I love science as much as the next guy, but it has nothing to do with magic pretty much by definition. Generally it's used as a power-up in place of the old reliable book-of-super-secret-knowledge found in the Black Library.

5. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

Yeah, I'm not quite sure where people get the idea, that insulting other people based on their genetics isn't problematic.
    Get's even worse (and maybe racist), when you consider that cousin-marriage is quite common in some countries.

6. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Well, many authors think, the customs of their tribe and island are the natural laws. :mad:

7. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Despite me agreeing with the original peeve, I feel like I must add that, genetically speaking, having kids with your cousin or any other family is a bad idea. That's simply a scientific fact. It's also not racist to point out this fact, but it is wrong to insult someone based on the circumstances of their birth.

8. golan

Cousin marriage is a relatively minor risk. Having kids with closer relatives is a much higher risk.

9. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Depends on how close that cousin is. I think it's something like third cousins are okayish, but better they be fifth or more. Don't exactly remember.

10. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I believe the risks are also lowered significantly if you've got a more diverse background. Like, two siblings that are mixed race having a child are less likely to have those risks occur than two siblings from a tribe of people that have only been breeding with each other for many generations.

Could be wrong, someone more knowledgeable than I confirm.

11. golan

Sounds about right, IIRC.

12. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To be honest, all those 'authors' bashing purebloods for interbreeding are in the right, even if they don't realize it. 'Interbreeding is bad' (at least magically speaking) is canon.

We all know what Gaunts were like. Fucking siblings to keep the blood pure and the last generation's female was practically a squib.

Mix in some fresh, muggle blood, bam! Fucking Voldemort.

13. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Anecdotal evidence at best. You can't base your argument on one case. Correlation also does not imply causation.
    Regarding the whole cousin thing, I actually only meant first cousins. Anything further and the risk is negligible.(less than 1%)

14. esran

esran Professor

Also canonically, interbreeding as bad as with the Gaunts was not common, even amongst purebloods. The authors bashing purebloods for interbreeding are in the wrong, because the purebloods they bash for it don't actually canonically interbreed to a dangerous extent.

15. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Plus it took the gaunts centuries of marrying brother and sister, fisrt cousin to first cousin before they became what they were, so wizards every now and then marring a cousin or two doesn't seem that bad

16. Ayreon

Ayreon Unspeakable DLP Supporter

This isn't about how healthy cousin-marriage over multiple generations is.
    The problem here is insulting other people for things out of their control.
    Of course genetic diversity is healthier, especially over the long run.
    But you don't just insult people based on the choices of their parents and grandparents!

17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Trying to quantify magic or subject it to a scientific method. Magic motherfuckers, do you know it?

Asking the readers to write your story. One thing is to gather opinions and suggestions, other is whoring your story or simply take what they say and shove it there. No self-respecting writer or a decently talented one too, keeps asking what he should with his/her story.

18. Ghosthree3

People feel the need to explain everything even when it's quite literally not meant to be explained. It's magic.

19. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've no problem with people trying to study it. It's part of human nature to want answers.

20. Ghosthree3

It is, it's just that it's not really appropriate in a story about magic. Some explanations and such can be fun, but when they try too hard and parallel it to science it's pretty awful.

Not open for further replies.