1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Cyclops, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

And the fact that Avalon is kinda, yeh know... a scabbard... for... like... a sword.

Not like it's also the most well known sword (or more likely weapon) in the history of mankind.

Just taking the piss. You made some good points though, the best fanfiction for this generally comes from alternate hero summons.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  2. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd be willing to put money on Shirou summoning Morgana le Fey over Arturia if both the Saber and Caster classes were open. Morgana, after all, was the last one to handle the scabbard. I'd also argue that the scabbard would have faded into memory if she hadn't stolen it. Not a lot of money, but some.

EDIT: Shit, I'd have put a hundo on Kiritsugu pulling Morgana out of the Throne if Caster hadn't already been summoned accidentally. Saber and Kiritsugu's personalities couldn't have been more at odds.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  3. coleam

coleam Death Eater

You're right - I forgot about that. From the wiki:

Makes me wonder what requirements you have to fulfill in order to be deemed worthy though. Reason to seek it would be a Wish, as Orm pointed out, but what denotes worthiness? Again, I submit Caster's master from F/Z, who definitely had a (sick and twisted) Wish, but would hardly be considered worthy of participating if the Grail is just considering power levels.

4. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Close, but not quite.

Saber, in Fate memories, sacrificed 1 village to save more plenty of times. That's why she was hated and eventually betrayed by those she protected because of her beliefs and what she's done.

In the same way, Kiritsugu was like that. Path of the Shura. He sacrificed few to save the many. Now if we were talking about Shirou, then they are the polar opposites of each other in actuality. No matter how similar they are in wanting to protect, ultimately, Shirou's distortion shines out in wanting to protect EVERYBODY. At the very least, Saber has a sense of self-preservation while Shirou's just... being Shirou.

I'm really excited on how they'll portray Shirou in this arc since this is his story.

--------------------------

As for the summoning, I'm still standing by the "first-come, first serve" basis of selection. As Fate/Zero has shown us, it doesn't even matter if you're a magus or not. As long as you know how to summon, the Grail will select you to be a master to fulfill the requirements of the Grail War.

P.S. IMHO, the Grail would have prevented anybody from summoning Saber as their Servant because of Saber's special case. Her wish was to be summoned every Grail War so she can fulfill her wish to redo everything. As she's not a real Heroic Spirit yet, she cannot manifest anything else other than what she is at that time of her death... That is, a Saber, a swordswoman.

tl;dr:
    Because of Avalon in Shirou, he's fated to be paired up with Saber!!!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2014
  5. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Path of Shura? Wtf are you talking about :|

6. DEADSIRNAIT

DEADSIRNAIT Second Year

Except Saber wasn't actually summoned there? That circle wasn't actually a summoning circle, but a circle that Kiritsugu used to help Iri when she was getting weaker and weaker due to the Servants dying and "filling her" as she was the minor Grail.

Another nope. Saber class requirement is first and foremost being a hero with a great legend, like a really really reeeeeeaaaaally well known and undeniably popular legend that nearly the whole world knows or even just have an inkling about. Also a requirement is having great base stats sans the base Servant container stats that the grail gives them.

Archer has really shit stats and would have been even shittier had it not been for the Archer container and Rin's competence as a Magus, and he has no legend, in this world, or in his world. He's a
    Counter Guardian but that doesn't make him actually a Hero, just a being that shares the same space in after-existence as the heroes in the Throne of Heroes because Alaya can call upon him easier there. Basically he has lodging there because of his job but he doesn't actually belong there.

Still, this is the Nasuverse and there are nearly endless possibilities because of the Second Magic, which is a canon thing that makes all the endings, including Bad Ends and likewise ends, canon.

7. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Idk how you call it but it's some sort of Star Trek theme. Sacrifice the few to save the many. That sort of nonsense. Or the Mind of Steel ending for Heaven's Feel arc.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  8. Samuel Black

Samuel Black Chief Warlock

Did you pull that stupid shit from that awful In Flight fic?

9. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

That's not a theme invented by Star Trek. It's called Utilitarianism, a school of thought where you put value on possible courses of action and decide which is better for maximum profit regardless of human life. So, if you have can save a group of ten by sacrificing one, you'll do it if you adhere to this philosophy.

10. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Yeah, for a moment there, I really thought it was an actual, real principle that was called like that.

Oh well, it's the idea that matters.

11. andy50

andy50 Groundskeeper

I've been getting into Fate and Tsukhime in the past few months, and I have a question. Does the author still write for the universe. I try to see what are the recent releases, and they seem to be nonexistent.

12. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

If you count horrible spinoffs to generate money, yes. If not, no.

13. Tasoli

Tasoli Minister of Magic

They are not spinoffs as you put it, they are different routes of VN that differs from eachother. There are 3 of them first was the Fate route.

Latest one is for example Fate Stay/Night Unlimited Bladeworks. It is 2nd route of the game turned to show and it is awesome. Also there will be a movie of the 3rd route Heavens Feel soon I think.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

SmileoftheKill was talking about the actual spin offs, not just the routes, coming in the form of other anime, manga and video games - Fate Hollow Ataraxia, Fate Apocrypha, Fate Kaleid Prisma Ilya, Carnival Phantasm, Fate Extra, Fate Prototype, Fate Unlimited Codes, Fate Tiger Colosseum. There's more for Tsukihime too, like Melty Blood.

The majority of them seem to be more and more fan servicey and shit. As mentioned earlier in this thread, some of the games just seem to be an excuse to make female gender bent versions of figures from history and put them in the most revealing attire as possible.

Carnival Phantasm is a Tsukihime/FSN parody, and kinda fun, taking the form of various skits about the characters in the game. Fate Kaleid Prisma Ilya was actually better than it deserved to be (a magical girl spin offs filled with Ilya fanservice, but spectacular fight scenes and enough storyline to keep you interested). Haven't bothered trying the rest and have no real want to.

I would recommend watching the Kara no Kyoukai movies if you want something else from the Type MOON universe and haven't seen them. It was Nasu's first set of works, taking the form of light novels. It's technically in an alternate universe mainly due to some plot holes that appear otherwise, but might as well be the same for all intents and purposes. First movie is a bit slow, but the rest are fantastic. The movie adaptions were also top notch ufotable productions. They're probably the darkest out of all of the Type Moon franchise too.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  15. BioPlague

BioPlague The Senate DLP Supporter

"Damn I think things are about to get violent."
    <3

16. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

GARcher time.

17. A Lightning

A Lightning Seventh Year

That was suitably epic. Great animation by Ufotable.

18. joshuafaramir

joshuafaramir Banned

Man, the budget for this anime must be immense. Anyway, Shirou/Saber/Rin Ship. Vote for Good End.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You know, I don't think I've ever had hope and expectation for a show turn into reality as well as this Anime has.

Pretty much everything about it is perfectly done.

20. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

They messed up the quote by Archer. It should have been "Drown in your ideals" instead of what he said.