1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I like to think Luna says most of that stuff for the hell of it. She doesn't really believe most of those creatures exist (besides the crumpled-horned snorlack, of course), she isn't a seer, and she isn't emotionally scarred from her mother's death. She just thinks it's fun to say random things or wear radishes for earrings.

Personally, I consider Harry/Hermione in all incarnations to be one of my bigger Pet Peeves. Even when it's well written, I still cringe at the very idea of the two of them together. And thanks to reading too many bad versions of the Ship, I've come to associate it with everything wrong with Fanon, from Ron-Bashing to Hermione-Jesus to Harry getting cool stuff because 'Magic said so' or something.

2. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Honestly, I'm pretty ambiguous when it comes to H/Hr, mainly because I think that while the pairing has been done to death, it's not the pairing specifically that's the problem in most of the fics you mention. The pairing is usually combined with a formula best observed in Robst's work. A generic fanfic with just the right amount of bashing, magical cores, muggle science and the H/Hr pairing to lure the most amount of people to read absolute tosh.

EDIT: Oh, and let's not forget about Light Magic™ that's always a fan favourite. It also perfectly illustrates the lack of nuance and depth when it comes to right/wrong so people that read don't have to think too much about it themselves.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  3. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Now itching to see a one shot where dark wizards using light magic (healing spells, etc) actually become good people again...

Lucius wanted to use the Cruciatus curse. He even said the incantation. But everytime he tried, he broke down sobbing, thinking of how horrible he had been to his son.

Voldemort spoke. "You've been using light spells again, Lucius. If you keep practicing Envervate you will become one of them! Do you want to be a light wizard, just like the Order of the Phoenix? People have wound up in St. Mungo's for less!"

"I'm sorry, Master," Lucius said, ashamed of himself. Narcissa sniffled softly from one corner, cradling Draco in her arms. "I... never knew light magic could be so..."

Bellatrix smiled tearily as Voldemort forgave Lucius. He did not offer him a hug, but it looked as though he was strongly considering it. "It is my fault," the dark wizard said, removing his half-moon glasses to wipe his eyes, looking every bit of his seventy-five years. "I should have never expected so much from you so soon..."

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  4. Jpzh2d

Jpzh2d Disappeared

For some reason this had me laughing much more than I should have, it was probably the fact the I can actually see how this would make a really good crack fic.

5. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I second the notion. Someone must make a Crack Fic out of this.

6. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I third it.

Robst is pretty awful. I had some hopes for his latest fic as at first it didn't seem to follow his usual plot, but that fell flat.

7. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    To all of you who hate Neville graduating from ugly duckling to chick magnet.

[​IMG]

8. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

One pet peeve of mine is when authors have Hermione get upset with Ron about something, and preface it with her saying, "Honestly, Ronald!" - or something to that effect. And then they kind of pat themselves on the back for getting Hermione's character right, despite the fact that she never, not once, to the best of my recollection, called Ron by his full name in canon.

There's nothing wrong with having her call him by his full name, but using it as a kind of touchstone for "writing Hermione well" bugs the hell out of me.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Easy. The actor was grown for the role so as to fit it perfectly at all points in time.

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The real wizard in those pics is his dentist.

11. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

(Money + Fame)^2 = Good looks. Just look at Christiano Rinaldo before he had cash.

On topic: Stories with a lot of Hermione. Can't stand her. Haven't read a single h/he story. Ever.

12. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I think Hermione is all right as long as she's not paired up with Harry. The only H/Hr story I ever enjoyed was Unsung Hero, and that was wayyyy back in the day when the HP fanfiction world was younger, and here there be monsters was a very apt way to tentatively describe any story you were about to open.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

I think I read somewhere online that they had him wearing a fat suit for the films at first, in addition to greasing up his hair, giving him fake teeth and they put some kind of plastic behind ears to make them look floppy. So his transformation wasn't all that much of a turn around.

14. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I actually got into FF because of H/Hr. I've since discovered that pretty much every fic that ever uses the pairing is awful, but I don't think that's because of the pairing, more because of the people that pairing attracted to write it among other things. I still think the pairing is the best canon pairing we could have asked for, but it's too late for that to really happen to FF with all the cliches it now has attached to it.

15. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Well, I'm not really sure about it being the best canon pairing we could have asked for. I would have loved for him to have canonically ended up with Cho, for instance. Or Luna. I felt that JKR managed to convey more attraction towards Luna than towards anyone else. That moment at the end of OoTP, when they meet and she talks to him about Sirius's death, for instance. It felt much more natural than anything she showed between either Harry and Hermione or Harry and Ginny. And then came the sixth book, where all he could think about was about some beast in his chest.

And to stay kinda on topic, a pet peeve of mine is when people dismiss Cho as a bully in a story. It's not as common as the veela coven thing or Luna Flakes, but I've read a summary dismissal of Cho as a bully often enough for me to go "Oh Gawd, not again!" Also, tying into this peeve is another, when authors make her a really bad seeker all of a sudden. She canonically is a good seeker, hence the spot on the Ravenclaw team. Both these things tie into an overarching theme of the perversion of Cho's character, which I neither understand, nor like in fanfic.

16. Download

High Score:
    I think the Cho bully thing is because they assume that given how long bullying Luna has gone on there must be a prefect involved, and the fact that Cho is one of the only (partially) fleshed out Ravenclaws and only known Ravenclaw prefect.

---------- Post automerged at 20:30 ---------- Previous post was at 20:30 ----------

I think someone who cries that much wouldn't have time to steal Luna's things.

17. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Cho doesn't cry that much unless something serious happens (the Shiny Vampire Dies).

18. Download

High Score:
    And Luna's bullying persisted through Harry's fifth year... After Mr Sparkle bit the dust.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Clearly, Cho had some free time on her hands then.

20. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Is it just my (faulty?) perception, or does Cedric get most of the hate, cause his character was played by the guy who played Cullen in Twilight?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 997D using Tapatalk

Not open for further replies.