1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I think it's not really a lot of hate, tbh. Thinking about it, I've never really seen Cedric bashing.

As an aside, can you please turn off that Tapatalk signature? It appears everywhere and is quite jarring. Especially seeing half of it is in all caps.

2. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

I don't think so? I don't think I've read many fics that have bashed him at all. In fact I'd say more often than not they make him out to be a super nice guy.

3. Halt

Halt 1/3 of the Note Bros. Moderator

Golan, I wouldn't call it hate, per se. It's just an easy way to mock him though I've never actually read a story - any story actually - where Cedric was bashed/hated or in general portrayed as a bad guy.

4. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think I read a story once where Cedric was grooming Cho to be a sex slave which is why she was crying so much because she lost her 'master'.

5. Ghosthree3

Ghosthree3 Unspeakable DLP Supporter

That's actually a pretty interesting twist.

6. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

That sounds twisted... And I want to read it. Do you know the title and author? Could you post it, please?

7. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Seconded.

/10char

8. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

I third this.

9. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Fourthed.

Download plez, stop holding out on us

10. Download

High Score:
    I was sleeping.

Let me have a look. I have no clue what it was called so I may have no luck.

---------- Post automerged at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 ----------

I may have found it. Be warned, it's a really awful Peggy Sue harem smut fic.

http://www.hpfanficarchive.com/stories/viewstory.php?sid=945

The Cho slave grooming thing is in chapter 4

11. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

The extreme abuse a lot of fanfic writers heap on apostrophes. Seriously, what's an apostrophe ever done to you that you'd treat it that badly? Or homophones in general, really. Anything that would sound the same if you read it out loud, but is an egregious error of writing.

"The Potter's are a wealthy family."

"Don't worry, Ron, the Ministry has it's hands full right now."

It's like taking the time to create a beautiful sculpture, and then taking a picture of it with a shitty cell phone camera and putting that up on display. Why, oh why would you take the time to think of a good story idea, spend hours writing it, and not pay attention to the most basic, fundamental aspects of presentation?

Is it just me? I find it incredibly disruptive as a reader. Homophone conflation is like a fly buzzing around - it's not going to ruin my day, but it's going to make whatever I'm reading a little less enjoyable. And it's an incredibly easy fix. It's not something you need actual talent or skill for, like having an ear for good dialogue, or something you need to spend a huge amount of time on, like a tight, cohesive plot. It's something anyone who reads should pick up basically by osmosis. And if you're writing, how are you not reading?

I'm probably sounding like a curmudgeon, I know. :) It's just near-incomprehensible to me that someone could write this way, making the effort to do one thing and not the other. To me, it's the equivalent of making homemade cinnamon rolls from scratch, spending hours on them, and then topping them off with your local grocery store's shittiest generic cream cheese frosting.

12. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

13. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Oh my god.

This is the fifth sentence.

No. No. No.

14. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

I don't know if this has been said but, a pet peeve of mine is clicking on the author profile to learn a bit about their fics and it's loaded with pro gay and religious crap that they say: "Post this on your profile".
    I like to think I'm not prejudiced but come on. I want to learn about their writing not their politics of life.

15. Download

High Score:
    I really hate it when you find their profile page has 50k words on it. You just have to wonder how they can write that.

16. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

Yeah, that fic is pretty awful.

But I still read it all.

17. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

@ Newcomb: I can understand the frustration with homonyms and apostrophs, but I think/hope that they're mostly made by people who don't speak English as a first language.

It's easy to remember the difference between its/it's once you looked it up and practiced it, but as the apostroph is usually used for the possessive, it's not a stretch to use it for 'it', too, if you don't know any better.

Best way to help that is to inform the author of his/her mistake via pm. Maybe they'll learn. If not, they're lazy as shit and you've got every right to complain.

18. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've a friend who is a professional linguist and according to her there's never been a point in the history of the English language that the average person "got it" in terms of apostrophe use. If anything, we're (by and large) better than we were a century ago.

What you see in fanfiction is the average person publishing their writing without professional editing to fix their apostrophes.* Apostrophes aren't intrinsically hard (they're the very first thing covered in Strunk & White and the discussion takes all of a couple pages), but they are commonly messed up. And they pretty much always have been.

* Note the use of the singular 'their,' which is grammatically acceptable in this usage.

19. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

As a non-native speaker, your language and grammar is riddled with inconsistencies, which makes it hard for people to learn the "rules" that are more like guidelines with large amounts of exceptions anyway. I had trouble with it's/its for the longest time because logically, it should be "it's house" like you would say "Dean's house."
    Native speakers don't have this excuse of course and I honestly think it's disgraceful and pathetic what some people chose to call writing, especially when it's a literary work and not just a comment on youtube/facebook.

20. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every language is full of arbitrary exceptions etc. People always feel that their native language is the exception because it all feels natural to them, but irregularity is an almost inevitable result of common use. It's no coincidence that the most irregular parts of a language tend to be the most commonly used parts.

Not open for further replies.