1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Hindi, man. Try it. Kicks English in the ass.

/drunk

2. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Ich auch :D

German officialese is much worse.

Russian is worse. Believe me, I know it. It's my mother tongue.

3. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I assumed as much. Russians seem to think life is only worth living if they make it as hard as possible. Portuguese is firmily on the medium-easy languages, english and spanish at the easy. Others, don't know.

4. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

Portuguese-Canadian, can confirm portuguese is pretty easy to learn, even to a tounge tied idiot like myself.

My brother, who's turning into quite the polyglot, tell's me Korean was suprisingly easy to learn, but then he's a gifted little shit.

5. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

To get things back on topic, I just tried reading Time Turned Back and holy shit is that fic horrible. I barely made it past the first chapter but here are some time travel pet peeves of mine:
    Evil!Marauders. Yeah, they might be jerks at times, especially concerning Snape, but they're good at heart. Making them out like they're the ultimate school bullies and that they routinely endanger the health of people is ridiculous. (The fic even has a self absorbed and uncaring Lily, which is utter nonsense.)
    Harry being unfazed by travelling back in time several decades. It's all cool man. I'm just never going to see my friends and everybody I know again, but I'm not even going to acknowledge that because it's hard for the author to write about. That being said, I do hate it when they spend 50k words on angsting about getting back etc. so I might be hard to please.
    Snape's a bastard. He was a bastard to Harry and he was a bastard when he went to school. Don't sugarcoat it and don't make him friendly. It's unnatural.
    Harry changing his first name to something else. Why is that necessary?! Sure, change your surname but unless you have a damn good reason you should keep your first name because, oh I don't know, you might get confused when people start calling you Gabriel.(gag)
    Adding recent events to the universe. It's set in 1991-7 you imbeciles! Don't make references to your favourite show or fandom unless they belong to the time period. Even then, you better have a damn good reason for Harry to be aware of any popular culture since I doubt he got to see a lot of TV, read comics or play video games.

6. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

Inserting Snape into fanfics for no reason whatsoever. I'm working on a common cliche parody. If nothing else this should be fun.

7. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd like to see a cliché slash parody with Snape, Malfoy and Voldemort in it.

8. prtclehysics

prtclehysics Third Year

I don't write slash sorry. I refuse to need brain bleach for my own work.

9. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Hogwarts is somehow alive and can take the form of a beautiful woman (who usually sleeps with Harry).

10. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Or at the very least becomes a substitute for his mother.

Oh and the RoR conveniently providing a copy of some book that's otherwise hard or near impossible to reach is just a minor pet peeve. I've read, in one fic or another, how Harry used the RoR to circumvent needing a pass for the Restricted Section, and the books, or copies of them, just appeared in the room itself. At the time, I thought it neat. Then I started encountering it in more and more fics.

11. Download

High Score:
    Slash parody.

12. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I've never come across her sleeping with Harry.

This is all too common. Too many damn variants of "Hogwarts taking the form of a human, and bitch-slapping Dumbledore back to the stone age" 'cause reasons.

13. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

It was pretty funny the first time around. But that's probably the reason why it became a cliche.

I'm actually not against a sentient Hogwarts in itself. The idea that a castle, where witches and wizards have passed through for over thousand years, reaches some kind of awareness is neat, if overdone. It's just the part where the author tries to make it a person that bugs me.

Mhh. Now that I think about it, I can't remember ever reading about a male Hogwarts. The Sorting Hat as a 'male' spokesperson, but never the castle itself as male.

14. Download

High Score:
    But that would be icky when Harry has sex with Hogwarts!

15. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

"Icky"? Well, that's a matter of taste.

16. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

You know, Harry carving a hole into Hogwarts' walls and sticking his dick into it sounds like an interesting oneshot. I have to ruminate about that.

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It's a thousand year old castle, saturated on a daily basis with god knows how much magic. I think it can form its own holes whenever and wherever it pleases.

Did you really think that all of those were actually just doors? Hah!

18. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Gives the word 'trapdoor' a whole new meaning.

19. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I am sad now. =(

Also drunk.

20. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The power be knows not ending up being HarryP getting a Demonreach like symbiotic connection with Hogwarts sounds like a pretty awesome idea imo.

Would give a whole new reason for V to hate Harry, especially if him trying and failing was the actual reason why he didn't get the DADA position, culminating in him being cast out.

Not open for further replies.