1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not disagreeing, but it's worth noting that the Judicial Committee of the Queen's Privy Council remained the final court of appeal in Singapore until the changes made in 1989-1994, and in Hong Kong until 1997. Even now after independence/handover to China that common law heritage is felt via the system of precedent, though said precedent is persuasive rather than binding.

2. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I know I am a little late to this party but this bit jumped out at me so I thought I'd put my two cents in. Just before the Yule Ball, Fleur tried to ask Cedric and it was stated that she was using her Veela powers(no dancing involved), and Ron who was passing through got a full blast of it causing him to ask her then and there itself when he had no intention of doing so. Now unless you are attributing that completely to Ron's idiocy, I'd say its canon, even if it is not called allure.

3. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Here's the passage in question:

I'm not sure we can treat Harry as an expert witness in the ins and outs of Veela abilities. That, combined with the fact that he's trying to comfort Ron, doesn't really make his opinion here carry a ton of weight.

With what we see earlier, the idea of "allure" - as in, attraction, isn't really what's happening. It's more about being compelled to do or say something bold and/or impressive:

It might be splitting hairs, but the fanon idea of "allure" tends to have it be like a "pull" - magical attraction, enhanced beauty, noticing the girl in question above all others, feeling drawn to her.

Whereas in canon what's happening is described way more like a watered-down version of the Imperius Curse:

4. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I think that the "veela allure" is just this urge to impress them. It doesn't seem like the Imperius Curse, for I'm sure that no veela would want people to act the way they do.

I think that this allure just lowers your inhibitions (like alcohol, say), and increases the activity of the parts of your brain hardwired to convince girls to get into your bed. So you try to impress them in outrageous ways without thinking too much about what you're saying.

The pull, thing, though, is pure bullshit. We never saw that in canon, to the best of my knowledge.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Though I agree completely with your definitions, I think your terms are inverted. The drive to impress them is just a part of their magic. "Allure" is the pull thing (and fanon), where they get control over someone with it.

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Well, I named it their allure for want of a better word. I know Rowling didn't coin it herself, but it's too good a term to toss out. ;)

7. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

I am not defending what the fanon does with it which is downright retarded at times. I am just saying this ability 'allure' or 'charm' or whatever you want to call it is an ability they have some control over and is used by them to get their way.

8. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

China, North Korea, Russia, any Arab country, Iran, most African countries, most former Soviet republics in the Caucasus, Ukraine ain't too peachy, too, South America neither.

9. golan

Azkaban is still worse by very, very far.

10. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

I think that's a matter of opinion. But that's not what this thread is about. Let's keep it HP? :)

11. golan

'k. Another pet peeve: An evil-detector (in many cases Dumbledoof's Hogwarts Frying Chicken a.k.a. Fawkes) or an anti-evil spell (in lotsa cases to shoehorn Harry into a relationship with a character, that'd normally gleefully murder him... After hours of torture. Often into a slash or non-slash relationship with Voldemort (non-slash when either Voldemort or Harry are female) or with Bellatrix or Narcissa. Or both at the same time). Or portraying either Bellatrix or Narcissa as poor victims of Voldemort resp. Lucius without a damn good explanation.

12. golan

Soul bonds. Veela life mates. Werewolf life mates. Any goddamn kind of "life mates".

13. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Does this include Sirius and Lupin as heterosexual life partners? :p

14. golan

Nope, not at all.

15. esran

esran Professor

Sirius: "A spy in the order of the phoenix? Probably Lupin... yeah definately Lupin"
    Lupin: "Sirius, a murderer? Eh, I can believe it. He did try to use me as a murder weapon against Snape that one time."
    Heterosexual life partners... right...

16. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

That's a totally accurate portrayal of their overall relationship and their reactions at the time. /s

17. golan

Would dropping the "heterosexual" help? :3

18. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

I was being facetious, but this is much amuse all the same.

Pet Peeve: Minority Hogwarts pupils being homeschooled in uber-mystical exotic magicks*, and their oh-so zen mentors.

I don't have a problem with it on principle, but in the examples I've seen it's either used in a token fashion to show that non-Western wizarding communities are far more corrupt (not that they can't be, but the wizarding US in particular are always sunshine and eagles), or in a token fashion to help Harry on his noble quest. HP and the Fifth Element springs to mind on both.

* Yes, with a k.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  19. Reptile3607

Reptile3607 Third Year

When authors try to explain every little canon mystery. The main one is how Dumbledore can tell whose outside his door. For some reason its always annoyed me. I honestly prefer not knowing- it makes it so much more fun when that little thing remains a mystery.
    Plus, I see this even in some of my favourite fanfics.

20. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Soul bonds can be done well, it's just that most people don't do them well and drag in all that 'first kiss bonds' bullshite. I'll point you to the RWBY fic Soulbound as an example (It's the only one I can think of off the top of my head - I'm not sure I've ever actually seen a HP fic where it's done well).

---------- Post automerged at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

Worse is werewolf life mates where they can smell who's their mate.

Not open for further replies.