1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pet Peeves v.8

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Dark Syaoran, Oct 20, 2013.

Not open for further replies.
  1. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Never seen this. Think I saw the horcrux destroyed this way, though.

Harry and Voldemort have a freaky connection created by reflected killing curse. That may very well bypass any normal defenses. Fuck occlumency. Now if Harry performs legilimency on Voldemort, I'm calling bullshit.

Peeve: Excessive blushing. Also, characters passing out at the drop of a hat from shock.

2. R. E. Lee

R. E. Lee Groundskeeper

Smirking and blushing fall in the same category of words that are criminally overused in fanfiction. It's not enough to make me stop reading a story, but when I see either of those words there's a part of my brain that's counting how many times they're used in the next couple thousand words.

3. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't forget lopsided grind. Ugh...

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What about Harry running a hand through his hair?

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

People don't like Harry from canon. The prefer Harry the Ass Hat. So they try to copy James Potter the only thing Harry had in common was his similar body structure and need to wear glasses. If Harry is so busy grabbing his balls with one hand and running the other through his hair how does he do magic?

6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Tapes his wand to his dick and "all hail master of the pelvic thrust! The power the Dark Lord knows not!"

7. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Still a better power than love.

8. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I think I could survive not reading another story where Parvati and Lavender are made into über-fashionistas.

9. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

Harry being thrown into Azkaban and somehow surviving the constant presence of Dementors.

Also, Harry being thrown into Azkaban, especially since they involve everyone (except that Special Someone, of course) betraying Harry at the drop of a hat.. There are only two Azkaban-Harry stories I actually like: one is a Crack Fic, and the other involved everyone (including Dumbledore) not believing Harry did the crime only for Voldemort to convince everyone Harry did it via Scar-Connection (and even then, no one's happy about it) along with Harry actually going insane in Azkaban.

10. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

That's fine. I do that a lot, though in my case it's running a hand over bald scalp.

11. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

I remember reading one where Harry stayed in Azkaban for what he thought were years, only for a couple of hours to have passed in reality. It seemed pretty funny then, but it was a while back come to think of it.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

The only Azkaban fic I would recommend to anyone is Control. Most Azkaban stories are shit. Although the Azkaban arc of MOR is quite entertaining.

13. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

That's kind of horrifying to think about, actually.

14. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

There is a fic where the opposite happens, he thinks he is in azkaban for a couple of hours but in reality was there for decades
    Edit: found it

15. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

The blushing may be a anime trope creeping into hp fanfiction, similar to katana-wank.

16. Rhaegar I

Rhaegar I Death Eater

17. ihateseatbelts

Yeah, remember this one - it was cool at first, though I lost interest at some point for whatever reason. Then I read the last chapter on a whim and was blown away.

Oh my.

I'm planning to play with the idea actually, but it's an AU where many wizards are incapable of or don't have access to learning resources for wand magic, so they end up using ready-made tools to defend themselves. Wands still trump everything else in a fight, though.

18. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Then wouldn't they slowly reinvent spells for wand magic?
    I mean snape created several spells in canon it wouldn't be too much of a stretch for talented, wizards and witches to be able to create spells, nothing advanced like the fidelius as I imagine that would require improvement and refinement for a few years/decades

19. ihateseatbelts

It's a long story, but no... for the most part.

20. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Umbridge being evil for the evuls and not knowing when to shut up.

This is a big sign of bad writing. Yes, Umbridge is a bitch and fucking evil, but she's not stupid. She is not going to randomly spout muggle and muggleborn genocide or her other prejudices in public and she is not going to talk about it in the classroom.

When she does discuss it she will either do so when it's publicly acceptable (like when Voldemort controlled the Ministry) or she will do so subtly (like when she insulted one of the Parvati twins in their first DADA lesson for being foreign) or do so in a non-public arena (her office after capturing the six breaking in).

She is a career politician and knows the right things to say to get the support of the public along when to say them. Anything insulting she might say in public will be said in a way that she can weasel out of if it ends up in the press.

The second Umbridge thing that bugs me is Umbridge trying to get Harry killed or expelled from Hogwarts before he has run afoul of the Ministry. It's pretty common in fics where Harry has to appear in court before book five, having Umbridge in there (court, the Wizengamot, whatever) telling everyone Harry is an attention seeking brat for no reason what so ever. At that point in canon Fudge is sucking up to Harry for public support or money or something so there is no way Fudge (and in turn Umbridge) will be trying to piss Harry off.

People are blinded by their (rightful) hatred of her and write her stupid.

Not open for further replies.