1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Good Starwars Fics from the last 5 years or so.

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by PWIZDUO, Dec 12, 2014.

1. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I discovered Harry Potter fan fiction by way of Star Wars fan fiction but it had been over half a decade since I last read a good star wars fic until Havoc Side of the Force started getting thrown up around here. Having thoroughly enjoyed that I got the urge to read some more Star Wars.

Assume I've read most of the classics, Whalberg, FernWhithy etc. Has there been anything good published in the last couple years?

2. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What type of story do you like? Original trilogy, new (ish) trilogy, EU?

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

4. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

5. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
  6. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

This one just barely scrapes through your filter (last 5 years or so), but if you haven't read it, I'd recommend you do. Heart of Darkness (FFN) by Cka3ka. It's a ~250k word, abandoned fic which focusses on Leia being found out by Vader as a kid. Not as serious as anything blank101 has written, but I quite liked it when I discovered this in 2008.

7. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

blanks fav list is a pretty good repository as well. Dark Times is one of the better ones.

8. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

Great fics but I've already read them.

---------- Post automerged at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

Thanks, I'll check that out.

---------- Post automerged at 09:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 AM ----------

Don't care all too much. I'd prefer nothing based on video games or animated TV series.

9. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

The Sith and The Senator has always been a favorite of mine. The only Anakin/Padme romance I've actually enjoyed. It has the best prequel Anakin I've read.

It has it's cliches, angst, and drama...but the sex is good.

10. Himuradono

Himuradono Professor

The fic meanders somewhere and seems to be going in circles, chasing its own tail. I like it too, but I'm slowly losing hope for it.

----

Temptation

It's an old fic featuring Revan/Bastila pairing and diverging from the get go. Mainly, Malaka didn't shoot upon Revan's ship, chickening out at the last moment. Revan's ship gets trashed in the battle instead and we play a bit of bait and switch as it is Bastila who ends up the prisoner instead of Revan.

There is angst, I'll not kid you there isn't. It's a YMMV story but I liked it and re-read it.

EDIT:

Drive You Mild By: obaona How do two powerful, individualistic people who were formerly enemies unite? Emperor Luke Skywalker, meet Jedi Knight Mara Jade. [Updated with Part 6 - COMPLETE.]
    Rated: Fiction K+ - English - Drama/Romance - Luke S. - Chapters: 6 - Words: 70,893 - Reviews: 161 - Favs: 447 - Follows: 69 - Updated: Mar 5, 2005 - Published: Jan 9, 2005 - Status: Complete - id: 2212346

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  11. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Anyone got any Star Wars fic where the Jedi and the Sith are reluctantly forced to work together to fight some external foe?

12. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

SWTOR: Revenge of Revan Expansion pack...

Oh fanfic wise? I got nothing. Sorry.

13. Arrowjoe

Arrowjoe Auror

There's The Boy Who Fell although that's more a HP story staring Ben Skywalker.

14. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

KOTOR fics are probably your best bet, but pretty much all the ones I've read have left me disappointed. They're either cheesy romances, even cheesier dark romances, or even worse - cheesy redemption fics.

On Being a Sith Lord is a one-shot comedy fem!Raven focused one, but for some reason it remains my favourite KOTOR fic. Which doesn't say much good about KOTOR fics, cause it really isn't good. Just kind of fun.

Wouldn't mind any more reccs if people have them? KOTOR really seems like the best part of the SW universe for that sort of thing to happen, given it really leaves a whole grey area to the Jedi/Sith thing.

Your next best bet would be Vader fics, but most of them are cheesy redemption types. I still hold a bit of fondness for Alliance of Enemies which has Leia and Vader forming an alliance on the Death Star to get rid of the Emperor. Heart of Darkness was already mentioned and despite pretty much being a 2006 Indy!Harry fic, I still have fond memories of it.

The only really quality fics in the Star Wars fandom I can think of are blank101's fics, Drive You Mild and Havoc Side of the Force (which isn't nearly as good as the previous ones). Drive You Mild does have elements of a quasi-Sith and Jedi in some sort of uneasy political truce (if you can call it that).

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  15. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

I don't know what the hell you're talking about - "just kind of fun" is underselling this; it's legit funny. Just started reading it and I'd give you double thumbs up if I could.

16. Ferdiad

Ferdiad Unspeakable

I wouldn't go that far, it made me grin ya but it wasn't that funny.

17. Atri

Atri Groundskeeper

I remember Revanchism being pretty good. It hasn't updated in quite a while, though.

18. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Just went to give Revanchism and Temptation a go, and realized I've read both of them. Not really a fan of either.

Temptation forces the whole cheesy romance thing way too much. The whole "Oh no, evil Sith just captured me and wants to control me! Damn, he's so intriguing and interesting! Wait, I didn't mean to think that!" sorta thing.

Revanchism is a bit more in line with what I looked for, but still really cheesy. There's another one I'm thinking of that was similar in premise, but a bit better in my opinion. Can't remember it off the top of my head, and it looks like I didn't bookmark it so I'll keep thinking of it.

Anyway, while I was going through my bookmarks came across this one again. It's old, so you've probably read it, but it never gets any less cute - Lord Vader's Limpet. One-shot about Vader babysitting his grandson for Luke and Mara. Reminds me of the Robot Chicken Star Wars special.

19. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

What I really liked about it was that it wasn't just funny. It had some great lines, and if you were sticking it in the library it probably would go under "Humor," but it was also well-written and at times quite sad. The end really got me, where
    Reven re-integrated her personality and took over again.
    What makes Reven so compelling in the first place, as a protagonist, are those identity issues, and this handled it very well. While also having some solid jokes.

I will give myself the caveat that I read this while waiting for a ferry during Hour 10 of a 13 hour travel day, so my radar might need calibrating.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  20. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I really like the concept of Raven being this second personality stuck inside the head of the personality created by the Jedi council.

The interaction between the two is what made On Being a Sith Lord so entertaining. As Newcomb said, there were a lot of comical points between Sabine trying to throw some levity when interacting with everyone else to Raven completely going against convention on "How Dark Lords Should Act".

I'd really love it if a full length fic was based around this concept. Rather than Raven simply getting his/her memories back (or never losing them in the first place) as most fics go for, have him/her stuck in the back seat of the body, interacting with the created personality. Trying to give advice to someone who is very skeptical taking any advice from a Sith while simultaneously trying to get control back. Or something along those lines.