1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TaureBot's list of Fanfiction-Clichés: Discuss

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jan 1, 2015.

1. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Not to mention brewing it seems to be a time consuming process requiring certain conditions as mentioned by Snape when he was asked to brew more by Umbridge.

2. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Owning house elves is wrong, no matter what the wizards think about it. Otherwise slavery would be ok in a country as long it's legal there - and I honestly hope no one here would advicate that. The sad thing is that just using canon means - unbreakable vow - one could deal with the worst excesses of house elf slavery without going against the wishes of house elves, indoctrinated or not: Simply make every owner swear an oath that he'll let his elves go as soon as they wish to work for another wizard, and that he will remind them of this each month or so.

3. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Well they probably only consider other purebloods wizards and witchs and muggleborns and half-bloods are probably considered mudbloods

4. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

I'm amazed by the narrow-mindedness that people show in this thread. House elves are an entirely different species from humans. They don't act or think like humans. They have different needs and wants. They're extremely powerful magical beings and despite this, they all(almost) serve wizards, even the ones that treat them badly. Even Dobby, the most independent elf that we know of still ended up working in the Hogwarts kitchen with the other elves. With his abilities, he didn't have to work a day in his life after he got freed but still came back to do more menial labor, granted for people who treated him vastly better, but still. What I'm trying to say is that elves aren't human and you shouldn't treat them similarly to humans. You'd be doing both them and yourself a disservice by doing so.

5. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

It's not wrong if the House elves are okay with it. AFAIK, they're willing to work for free.

Ergo, not wrong.

6. crimson sun06

I think what house elves do have is typical slave mentality. They have been enslaved and subjugated for so long that they have started believing that serving wizards is all they are good for. So much so that even while undergoing blatant abuse they don't even allow themselves to think ill of their masters often punishing themselves for the rare offences.
    That can't possibly be right no matter how you look at it.

7. A.K.$J6-J5

A.K.$J6-J5 Seventh Year

Then what will they do?

8. crimson sun06

They can continue doing what they have been doing without the abuse that is. Thinking about it I believe Hermione had the right idea.

9. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

If they are willing to work for free then the wizards have neither need nor right to enslave them.

10. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

You should probably add counter-curses being performed on a spell while mid-air. There is no way in hell anyone is able to identify a spell, remember it's counter-curse and perform it while that spell is in the air. No way.

Hachi. I haven't checked any of the HP lore aside from the books, cos I honestly don't give a crap, but the House Elf situation is just like any form of slavery.

Sure, it's better to own a slave and treat him or her nicely, than to own one and treat them badly. But either way, you're KEEPING A FUCKING SLAVE. Seems to me the house elves have been forced into slavery for so long that they've just learned to roll with it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Since this has become a House-Elf debate anyway: I'm perfectly willing to claim the moral low-ground and say I'd like to have a House-Elf that is happy to serve me for no payment. And since House-Elves are genuinely happy: Who can tell the difference of the cause of it? Certainly not the House-Elves. So in a society where I don't care, and they don't care, who will?

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Seems like the answer to this is obvious, as it's provided by canon:

1. The House Elves who overcome their brainwashing.

2. Assorted wizards who have higher moral standards.

13. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

The number of which are one and zero, respectively.(those filthy mudbloods don't count) Actually, Dobby doesn't seem to mind that the other house elves are enslaved so in reality it's also zero house elves. But obviously, every single other member of the race is brainwashed, that's a much more logical conclusion than that they actually want and like to serve.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    You're repeating arguments that I have already offered counter-arguments to, without addressing those counter-arguments. Repeating "but they like it" does not suddenly make you right.

But from the mudblood comment etc. the troll is strong, so whatever.

(Incidentally, we know that Hermione was successful in converting a large number of wizards to her views in the post-Hogwarts years. As said previously: the moral Zeitgeist moves on.)

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Which is a total of ... Dobby, and a Muggleborn. Sounds more like a reason not allow Muggleborns into the wizarding world ;)

I dunno -- leaving aside moral arguments, because I don't feel like having one right now (feel free to consider this a conceding of your point, if you like), and focusing on analyzing Canon, I just don't see the support for such change in any near future. The people in power are Fudges. The people shown to like Muggles view them as an endearing oddity, the same way you regard that funny chimpanzee at a zoo. The wise, benevolent leader had an entire castle full of House-Elves.

So really, if you subscribe to absolute morals, I don't think you're left with many other choices than to conclude that society as a whole has a "lower moral standard" -- and that wizards with "higher moral standards" are a fantastically rare exception that would be laughed out of the room the same way they would have been if they suggested to an Ancient Roman that they should stop using (actual) slaves.

Edit:
    Yes, which I consider ridiculous, given what we saw in the books. But then again, I'm not really an optimist regarding the likelihood of social change in general.

16. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Even if people want and like to serve that doesn't mean one should enslave them.

---------- Post automerged at 21:26 ---------- Previous post was at 21:23 ----------

So... did you just describe Wizarding Britain as a society that has not progressed past the morals of an ancient slave holding civilization that ended 1500 years ago?

17. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

I made a counter-argument that you probably ignored. Essentially you're saying that sentient desires/wants=human desires/wants, when I don't think that's the case at all.
    It was my way of saying that Hermione is basically a muggle with magic and doesn't in any way represent magical culture/tradition/society. I didn't realize you felt so strongly about an imaginary slur against an imaginary group of people.

House elves aren't people. Stop comparing it to human slavery, it's retarded.

18. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I think something can go from entirely accepted within a society to widely reviled rather quickly, actually.

The obvious historical example is that of the real life anti-slavery campaign by William Wilberforce. Slavery went from almost universally accepted to being legally abolished in the space of 20 years in the UK. (Committee for the Abolition of the Slave Trade formed in 1787; Slave Trade Act signed in 1807)

All it took was good campaigning.

So Hermione getting the same done for House Elves in under 19 years is reasonably believable, given that House Elves are a) much less vital to wizarding society than slaves were to Britain in the 18th century and b) slavery is already accepted as wrong by wizards, they just have to be persuaded to extend it to House Elves.

Edit:

House Elves are the same as humans in every meaningful respect (i.e. in all ways that determine their moral rights). Since you cannot substantiate any sense in which they are different, other than behaviour which is highly sensitive to formative experiences (as Dobby shows, it's not an essential part of House Elves nature that they like slavery, it's something that can be unlearnt), your claim seems to be entirely baseless. It's an excuse, not a justification.

19. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

iirc, House elves feel insulted if you intend to free them (Hogwarts Elves, Winky).
    They don't want to be free.
    There's only one exception, Dobby, and that was because he was treated extremely badly.

And even then, he liked serving 'Master Harry Potter'.

Is slavery wrong if the slaves enjoy their subservience? Personally, I don't think so.

But we're derailing.

It's more likely subservience is an essential part of their nature and that Dobby was an oddity/anomaly.

20. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Behavior and mentality are closely tied to biological factors like hormones etc. Of course I'm going to judge them on their behavior because that's the only real measure you can make in this case. How else? They want to serve. Every single one of them, and while there is a infinitesimal chance that it's because they're all brainwashed and they, in collaboration with their master, have developed the worlds most advanced techniques in this, the more reasonable and logical conclusion is that they're predisposed to it because they're a different species with different wants and needs. Gotta go with Occam's razor here.