1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TaureBot's list of Fanfiction-Clichés: Discuss

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So many people invoke Occam's razor thinking it means "assume I'm right" lol.

No it's not. I outlined a load of factors which affect the situation:

These all indicate mental similarity to human beings.

If you put a human being in the same situation as a House Elf, they would want to serve too (absent mistreatment). It's not an "infinitesimal chance" that they're brainwashed, it's a near certainty. They know nothing else. It's completely unreasonable to maintain that House Elves have been given a free choice as to what they want in life and have chosen to be slaves. Firstly they haven't been given a choice at all. Secondly they're not free to make that choice, given that they've never been allowed to experience any other life.

You could only hold your position if you raised a group of Elves as you would raise a human and then they still wanted to be slaves. You can't just assume that they would so choose and use that to justify never giving them the choice.

The case of Dobby clearly shows that a House Elf can learn the desire not to be a slave. That conclusively proves that slavery is not an essential part of their nature: if something is essential to something, it cannot be separated from it.

At the most you could argue that an enjoyment of work is part of their nature. I'll accept that. But enjoyment of work does not justify slavery.

2. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Well ... you must, don't you? If you regard House-Elves as slaves, then it's the obvious analogon.

I think I kinda envy anyone whose morals point into a clear direction here. Leaving aside ignoring morals entirely ("I would like to have a House-Elf"); what I see is not one race (humans) but two (humans and House-Elves), and the latter being by all accounts happy, content, and eager to serve; and my inability to discern whether that is really so or they just think they do, and even more, my uncertainty whether it even makes a functional difference (if every being deserves to be happy, is the cause really relevant; and how do I define "really so" anyway?)?

I only have my fundamental dislike of being told what is best for me, and they just think they do but they really don't is skirting dangerously close to that.

Edit: And that was exactly the discussion I didn't want to have :s
    Take that as some points to consider, I guess, and let's try toget back on topic.

3. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Short reply: there is a way around this that is respectful towards your dislike of "they just think they do". Namely: House Elves are happy, but they would be happier if emancipated.

4. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

It's quite simple: If a house elf can do everything he wants and needs to as a free elf, then he is without any doubt better off as a free elf since it offers him safety from a bad owner without any drawback. And we have no canon information that house elves actually need to be slaves.

5. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Of course it doesn't. It just means that making a bunch of assumptions is usually wrong. I'm just saying that it's practically impossible to brainwash an entire race/group of beings, just look at actual slavery. Most human slaves didn't actually want to be slaves. The more likely scenario is that house elves are somehow predisposed to being slaves/servants.

Bullshit. Animals share a bunch of those characteristics.(Just look at dolphins or hell even dogs) Just because an intelligent race can love and hate doesn't mean they are like humans or should be treated similarly. That's the kind of thinking that'll get us exterminated when we meet aliens.
    That's certainly not true. Like I said, while some slaves in societies that had a lot of slaves were fine with their lot, most wanted to be free and throw of the yoke of slavery. Even those that had masters that didn't mistreat slaves usually wanted freedom and worked for it for a long time e.g. in Roman and Greek society. It was an integral and huge part of their society and a lot of people even grew up as slaves but eventually worked their way to freedom. The house elves don't show the same drive or desire as a group that human slaves display.

Except Dobby joined the other house elves in their menial labor at Hogwarts because he wanted to. He wanted to be free because he feared and hated physical abuse and mistreatment, not being a slave. They are two entirely separate things. The pay he received seems to be symbolic of this.
    I never argued that it was a physical necessity for house elves to be slaves, that'd be ridiculous.
    He can't serve a master if he doesn't have one. It's pretty simple really.

PS: Sorry to Newcomb for the continued derailment of the thread.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Why would stuff that works disappear? Tastes are different. Slash won't disappear just because some people don't like it. Stories where canon magic is expanded, or simply reused won't disappear just because someone claims it's a cliché. There is a trunk with an expanded compartment in canon. There are canon wizard tents which offer a furnished apartment inside. Even the notoriously poor Weasleys had such a tent available. Having Harry getting his hands on such an alternative to living in a cupboard or a dinky room he was locked in is not at all a bad thing in itself.

---------- Post automerged at 22:35 ---------- Previous post was at 22:32 ----------

Uh. So, Alfred cannot serve "Master Bruce" since he is no slave?

7. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Guess I have to be absolutely clear here for those who purposefully misinterpret my words. There's a difference between serving as a paid employee and serving as a slave. While I'd vastly prefer to get paid, evidence suggest that all house elves(except Dobby) view this as an insult and prefer slavery. In this sense, they can't serve properly without being slaves. I don't necessarily understand this but then again I'm not a house elf so it's not that odd.

8. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

There is no canon information that they actually need to be slaves. There is no indication that they cannot serve a "Master" who doesn't own them. There's every indication that elves who are abused cannot flee or protect themselves.

9. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

Dobby has to iron his hands or otherwise punish himself in cruel and horrible ways if he goes against his Master's wishes.

There have been human slaves throught history and time who were brainwashed into believing that they need to be slaves. That that was the only way to be. They would fight against people trying to free them. Thankfully, people persevered and now we don't have slavery although servitude still exists.

I always find the house elves situation really strange, in a way even this debate parallels how thoughts about slavery were expanded (due to the color of their skin, their ethnic background...these people aren't really humans, they are below humans, below our type of humans..indeed they are not much more then beasts, they don't have the mental faculties to do what we do so therefore we are justified in enslaving them or committing genocide against them).

10. Sesc

Except, of course, that House-Elves aren't humans.

Really, this setup is one big philosophical thought-experiment ("Imagine a race that is objectively perfectly happy and eager to serve and only follow orders, and unhappy if told not to serve and follow orders") to debate the conflicting morals of free will, happiness, dignity and what have you because it's no longer clear cut, so that's why I'm always kind of surprised to see so many ready-made, in itself completely assured opinions whenever the topic comes up.

11. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

There is a world of difference between being happy to be serving someone and being a slave.

12. Lyrium

You mean like Plato's Republic?

13. Sesc

Yes. Which is why I haven't used the word slave yet, as slave implies being kept against one's will.

Be careful not to destroy your own argument.

14. Lyrium

I mean I totally disagree with you since just because they aren't human doesn't mean they aren't sentient. In fact, to me that means the house elves are the people chained in the darkness and they just need to see the light.

However, I will stop since the next stop is where the trolls live under the bridge.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

What exactly makes them sentient? There are talking mirrors, there are charmed brooms (both for flying and for cleaning), what exactly makes elves equal to humans? I'm not necessarily saying they aren't sentient, but it definitely isn't so just because they talk.

16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Dobby was capable of sacrificing his own life in pursuit of a cause he believed in and out of love for his friends. I don't think you can get much more sentient than that.

17. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

You'll note that a significant majority of human slaves do want freedom, even when they're born slaves and brainwashed (cf slavery in Antiquity, in the Middle Ages, modern slavery etc etc...). It implies that free will is one of our defining characteristics. We like freedom and we want to be remunerated for our labor.

House elves in canon do not want freedom and are insulted if you offer it to them. Except Dobby.

That said, I'm all for laws that better the conditions of living of the House elves. It's in fact in their Masters' interests to treat their house elf decently.

Sentient or not, if someone says to me that they'll serve me with unconditional loyalty until their death for free, I certainly won't say no. :sherlock:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  18. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Then again, a house elf has (presumably) never met a house elf that is not enslaved, and is raised to believe that to want otherwise is wrong (again, presumably), which is unlike the culture of slavery in antiquity.

I'm with Sesc on this one, in that there isn't any certainty to be had, however.

19. Sesc

Started this as an edit, but it grew, so what the hell.

That was a response to Starfox, Lyrium. It's been a while since I read Politeia, do you mean the class-based society?

What I'm getting at is that to me there is an apparent conflict between wanting to attribute House-Elves a free will, as the basis on which to claim their right to a free, dignified life, and simultaneously claiming any and all utterances out of their mouths are brainwashed drivel and, in fact, they mean the very opposite of what they say.

This step is easy enough to do, if it's one race: All humans are equal, because they are all humans. Thus if one human says "I like being a slave", we can look at ourselves and conclude that this is, in fact, untrue.

But humans (wizards) aren't House-Elves, evidently, so you cannot claim "all wizards and House-Elves are equal", because that is factually wrong. They are different species. If that is so, however, you can only claim that they should be treated equal, based on a principle that claims all living being should be treated with dignity -- and then you run into the problem I described above, once they proclaim their love for servitude, because you cannot look at yourself and verify whether they mean what they say, or actually do not mean what they say, since you are not a House-Elf.

So that is the dilemma: On one hand, you want to free the House-Elves from servitude, because your concept of dignity -- for beings possessing a free will! -- demands it, on the other hand, you want to respect the free will of the House-Elves even when they claim they do not want to be free.

For me, that is a quandary, and I have no way to resolve it other than asking a House-Elf time and again, because I cannot impose my will on his -- not even when his will means being an unpaid servant.

For that reason, I hugely dislike Hermione (and actually, it's pretty defining trait of her in other situations as well). I would be infinitely more comfortable with a Dobby-led freedom movement.

20. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Indeed, we do not have all the facts.