1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TaureBot's list of Fanfiction-Clichés: Discuss

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Skeletaure, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Choice. That is free will.

2. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

Consequences he chose to suffer despite doing the right thing. Again you have overlooked the fact that they can't disobey a direct order no matter how much they want to, that to me is subjugation of their free will.

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I'm glad you cleared that up. The hundreds of great philosophers (and indeed psychologists and neuroscientists) who have grappled with the question can hang up their hats.

4. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

He punished himself because he disobeyed orders. There's a difference.

5. crimson sun06

He was never ordered to 'not' help Harry. He punished himself because he was betraying his master's plans.

6. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

His Master's plans that were designed to in some way effect Harry Potter. Why else give the diary to Ginny Weasley, whose brother was his best friend. Let's face it, Lucius never knew what the diary would do, Voldemort never told him.

7. LilC16

LilC16 Second Year

It's very simple. Dobby wanted to tell Harry about the Malfoys and the diary, but due to forced loyalty he had to make due scerting the edges. Which was completley pointless really, because nothing was revealed. In his head he was betraying them, but never out in the open, that is why he punished himself. If given the choice, all would have been revealed.

8. crimson sun06

You're going off topic now. But my point still stands that they can't disobey a direct order. In other words no free will. Another case in point being Kreacher and his forced servitude to Sirius and then later Harry.

9. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

There is still a question of what to do with house-elves shall wizards decide to make them truly free as a race. Obviously, they can't be seen by any muggle and wizarding world is rather small.

House-elf rebellions?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  10. crimson sun06

Just because they can be free doesn't mean they stop working. Dobby is an example that free elves can work for people they like.

11. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Kreacher is actually an example of house elves having free will, for instance the way in which he interpreted Sirius' orders: Sirius yells at Kreacher to GET OUT, this is a direct order but it is also an extremely vague order, get out where? In this case Kreacher took the order to get out and went to see 'Miss Cissy' and 'Miss Bella' (Narcissa and Bellatrix), enemies of Sirius - his Master.

12. crimson sun06

You just validated my argument. Why should he have to interpret his master's orders to do what he wants? Why can't he simply say screw you ! I don't like you and I'd rather serve Bella and Cissy.
    And I'm sure if Sirius had forbidden him to meet them he couldn't have done it.

13. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Y'all need to make the distinction between will and free will. Merely determining your own actions is not enough to demonstrate the latter; it has an extra element, namely that the determination of your actions was "free", whatever that means.

I explored the meaning we normally attribute to "free" with respect to decisions in my previous post comparing age of consent and Elvish consent to slavery... I see no one has responded.

14. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Kreacher knows that Sirius does not get on with Narcissa and Bellatrix, he also probably knows that Sirius only meant for him to get out of the room, but he still chose to go see known enemies of his Master. He chose to misinterpret Sirius' orders.

15. crimson sun06

I agree and they still can't disobey a direct order and that is the whole point of my argument.

16. Lyrium

Lyrium Sent Back to India

And connecting to Taure's point about children and consent, its as if Kreacher is a child and has to work around its parents rules to exhibit free choice (for exampe misinterpret rules or lie or sneak out).

17. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

But they can choose to disobey a direct order (if its vague enough), by deliberately misinterpreting it.

18. Lyrium

In a very limited way. Why does Kreacher have to reach and misinterpret to disobey the order. Why can't he choose to become the house elf of Bellatrix or Narcissa which would be in line with his own desires>

19. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Because he is tied to 12 Grimmauld Place. I'm sure if Narcissa or Bellatrix were there that he could choose to obey their orders over Sirius'.

20. Lyrium

I've never heard of house elves being tied to a place but rather a House or lineage. Sirius would have to die for Kreacher to be able to work for another person of Black blood.

In a real world example. I work at a job at H&M. It's great but my manager leaves and the new one is a total dbag. I now hate my job, my hours, my life. I want to quit but I can't because I'm tied to HM. No that's not free will.