1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Clichés that make you stop reading a story

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Newcomb, Jan 1, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Warburg

Warburg Seventh Year

Well someone is paying for the wages, equipment, food etc. that is being used at St. Mungo's and it's either the people through the government or the people. It's not free to run a hospital, even if it is magical.

2. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

You get free health care even if you, personally, are not paying taxes. Someone's paying for the wizard health care too. If the wizards do not pay for it indivisually, and they are not paying taxes, then whoever is paying has another source of revenue.

3. PomMan

PomMan High Inquisitor

I don't feel this got enough attention, and it is a beautiful statement that fills me with mirth and a full certainty that Taure will do this, accompanied by a mental image of Voldemort wearing hipster glasses (Great avatar dude, by the way) typing while sneering.

As for dealbreakers for me... When people get basic facts about England and life in it wrong, and use wrong language describing it. Pants being used in place of trousers, turtle neck instead of polo neck, Math instead of Maths, all of the random Zs that my computer keeps telling me to put into correct words.

Also, lack of politeness. It's forgotten by fanfic authors (and by most people my age from what I can tell), but politeness and manners are something that Britons are apparently renowned for, and Dumbledore not being polite to anyone (ie, Fudge) is a complete bastardisation of his character. Also, fuck you spell check, bastardisation has an s not a damn Z!

4. golan

golan Temporarily Banhammered DLP Supporter

Where'd you publish it? Could you post the link here, please?

Use a time turner, it's already the case.
    Bad writing, bashing, infodumps, overpowering characters (a.k.m. Mary Sue), bad Evil!Manipulative!Dumbledoof, using the Queen as Mary Sue, using monarchy as Mary Sue to free Harry, soul bonds, veela bonds, jamez bonds, overdoing it with the OC or time travel, overdoing it with this whole feudalism crap, making the WW misogynist and a ton of other stuff I forgot.

5. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Is there a way to track the reviews of certain people on ff-net? I'd be interested in stalking Taure.

6. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

I sent you a PM.

7. wordhammer

wordhammer Dark Lord DLP Supporter

8. golan

9. FreakLord

FreakLord Professor DLP Supporter

https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=18962
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7186430/1/Thunderstorm

http://wiki.darklordpotter.net/tags.php?tag=voldebabe

10. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Well, I find your interpretation intriguing. I have actually tried to be subtle about what it's really about, so reading about the various meanings is always interesting to me. I'm sorry you didn't like it, but art is subjective after all; can't blame someone for not connecting with a work of fanfiction.

11. golan

Ice Queens, and I don't care, whether it's Daphne or anyone else.

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Any and all bashing will generally make me nope out pretty quickly unless it's an otherwise stellar story.

13. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

What exactly is "bashing"? Is writing Snape as an evil scumbag who torments kids for fun and simply hates Voldemort a bit more than he hates everyone else, himself included, and was torn for hours whether or not to call the order in while the kids were flying to the Ministry because he really wants to see the lot of them death, if not for his life debt, bashing or giving an explanation for the lateness of the order's response?

14. golan

E.g. when in Slytherin while him being head of the house rape, torture, murder and namecalling is completely kosher and he takes part in it from time to time.

15. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

There is a perfectly simple definition for "bashing": It's writing characters you do not like as evil caricatures of their Canon-selves with an IQ of the average retard, in order to use this as justification for the main character to deliver smackdowns. No reason at all to make this complicated.

And yes, that makes me stop reading too. I wouldn't call it a cliché, though -- it's simply supremely bad writing.

16. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Characterizing Ginny as a "slut" or a "whore". Instant X-out for me.

Because dating three guys over a seven year span, marrying the third one and building a happy family makes someone a slut.

No. Just... No.

17. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, there's almost no cliche that'll stop me from reading if it's written well. That's all I care about.

18. Starfox5

Starfox5 Seventh Year

Is the smackdown a required part? Or the low intelligence? Is it bashing if one has a smart, but much more evil Snape who is too clever to get smacked down until the end?

19. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed. It just so happens that there are certain ideas which I consider impossible to write well. A contradiction in terms. To use the above example: bashing. Bashing requires shallow characterisation and token conflict. Shallow characterisation and token conflict are inherently bad writing. Therefore bashing cannot be written well.

20. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Any character can be bashed, provided there's a sufficiently biased POV to help it along. It doesn't mean the bashing will stand/prove true under another POV or unbiased narration, merely that one character has an outlook with which another would disagree.

Not open for further replies.