1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

House of Cards 2013

Discussion in 'Movies, Music and TV shows' started by Tarquinn, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Constans

Constans Sixth Year DLP Supporter

6 episodes into S2 so far. Will get back with more later. But first impressions: definitely like it better than the first season. The pacing is vastly improved, the stakes feel more real. Particularly liking how they're dealing with

Zoe's death (found her very irritating, to the point of cliche).
    Aside from personal preference too, I think it allows for a whole set of new plotlines that they've dealt with well so far - Lucas. It setup the season beautifully and instantly raised the stakes. Not to mention, in character. Also, Claire's subplot/characterization seems a lot more fleshed and better done so far esp wrt to the interview.

Another thing, I really like the break of the fourth wall by Frank this season. A lot more. While it never bugged me in the first season, this time it feels a lot more strategically placed. The first time he did that in ep 1 - gave me chills. I guess it feeds into my earlier point about improved pacing.

Finally, what's interesting is that halfway in, it's still not clear what Frank's ultimate goal is. Or whether he has one at all/is making it up as he goes along (highly out of character). Especially given his repo with the President/family now. I hope they handle that well.

What do you guys think?

Edit: Finished watching. It definitely moved faster to the conclusion than I thought it'd take. However, I think the fast pace made it very bingeworthy. Similar issues to the last season but even more so. Quite a few 'unrealistic' things. However the option of binging them made me ignore it. One thing noteworthy, noticeable and already commented upon elsewhere was the change in the tone of the show. While the last season focused on character development, psyche of main characters etc. this season is pretty much entirely plot driven. The Claire development in the season that I liked earlier, really didn't end up going anywhere. Now, all this isn't to say it's a bad season. If anything, it's even more watchable than the last one. However...put it this way, it went from trying to be The Sopranos to say....Saved By The Bell in the lack of subtlety/juggling intricate subplots. So yeah, go watch it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

So watched the whole second season the last few days and I have to say I thought that the first one was a bit better. I actually missed Frank breaking the 4th wall, he does it only a few times compared to the first season, and found Zoes death a bit forced. Some softer handling on that would have given better opportunity to showcase the manipulative/attractive side of Frank.

But what irritated me most was how goalless Frank seemed. Instead of the revenge plot of the first season he more less stumbled around and only won thanks to a huge bit of luck. It conflicts with his stated virtues of patience and cunning. I mean look at his powerbase now... he may be interims president but he had to sacrifice everyone and everything for it instead of simply waiting for another 3-4 years. No powerbase but a lot of people who now know his scheming and have a lot of reasons to hate him.

Still it is one of the best series I had ever the pleasure to watch and I strongly recommend watching it, even or maybe especially if you harbor any romantics thoughts about politics. (Like I do.. can´t imagine anyone wanting that job without powerful motivation outside of pure greed (And yeah I am aware at how often exactly that is the bitter truth)

3. Eilyfe

Eilyfe Supreme Mugwump

Well, Season 3 is confirmed to be aired February the 27th. I'm pumped!

Youtube Trailer

4. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

That trailer is really good. I didn't quite buy the hype on the first two seasons - I thought it was good, not great - but now that Underwood is the President, this could get real dark, real fast, in a really entertaining way. And the trailer has that vibe in spades. I'm tentatively pumped.

5. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

Oh, totally. I'm taking a day off for this, my Saturdays are usually working. Doug's gone, and I feel that the end of the last season was sort of a tipping point for Frank and Claire. The fall from grace is beginning. Or rather, I'd like it to.

6. apoc

apoc The Once and Ginger King DLP Supporter

First two seasons they built the House of Cards...

...and now we watch it all come tumbling down.

7. disturbed27

disturbed27 Professor

God, this show is superb. And A Perfect Circle is perfect music for the trailer. I will be spending the whole day of the 27th watching it in one go.

8. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Honestly, I think it's more likely that this season is slightly worse than the previous. I hope not - but I can see it happening.

That said, I loved the first two, and I'll be sure to watch this as well.

9. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Season 6 is out. I'm on episode 2 and I have to say, it's not the same show without Frank.

edit: what a fucking mess

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018