1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Burn Limits by Taivasalla - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Crash, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

Title: Burn Limits
    Author: Taivasalla
    Rating: T
    Genre: General (I think?)
    Fandom: Naruto
    Pairings: None listed, doesn't seem that there will be any, or if there are, that they will become a main focus.
    Summary: Sakura grows up in a shinobi household. Haunted by a broken father, she ends up on Team 7 a different person.

Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7980726/1/Burn-Limits

The fic is currently 5 chapters in, three of which were added in the past month. The story was originally put out in 2012, but the author's returned to it recently. The story is Sakura-centric (lol, Republic) but I've still found it quite interesting. The premise is that her mother dies in the Kyuubi attack (I'm pretty sure that's how, at least) and that leads her to grow up with more exposure to the shinobi lifestyle. She's more emotionally fragile, but also more competent. That's not to say that she's an angsty character throughout, but that she's more 3-dimensional and OC from the Sakura of the anime/manga.

It remains to be seen where the plot is headed - so far, we've bypassed the Wave arc, and are back in Konoha. Hopefully, the author has an overarching plan for the story, though it seems that it's been planned ahead to past the Chuunin exams by the most recent AN. Nonetheless, from what we've seen it looks to be more of a character driven piece than plot but can't be sure with what we've been given as of yet. At first I was hesitant to post this as it's yet to come into its own, plot wise, but I found it interesting enough.

The update rate has been great so far (~1 chapter/week) but that should be expected to fall a bit now that the prewritten chapters are through.

2. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    What's Naruto like in this fic?

Also:

<_<

>_>

Crash pls, you're ruining my forum experience T_T

3. Crash

Crash Fourth Year

Naruto's more or less at the same skill level and of the same personality in canon, though he seems a bit less annoying. The story's just past the Wave Arc, so there's not much in the way of change for him. Going forward, who knows though.

I suggest that you give it a read – it's only 22,000 words so far. Sakura's quite different from her canon self as well.

There's also a really interesting bit on Kakashi and his health as the result of extreme healing from injuries which results in cancer because the cells are forced to grow at an unnaturally accelerated rate (at end of ch. 4). That hasn't gone anywhere yet and we don't get the sense that he's immediately dying or anything though.

4. Rache

Rache Headmaster

Yep. Shinobi with chakra can regroup limbs and resurrect dead people, but cannot cure cancer. Huh

5. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Haven't read this story yet but to Rache's point:

They also couldn't cure Itachi's disease, and even regrowing limbs seems to be the exception, rather than the rule. I can roll with the fact that chakra used by non-legendary ninja can't be a panacea for everything.

6. someone010101

someone010101 High Inquisitor

Honestly? I'm not surprised. And mysterious deseases are a standard trope, really.

7. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Humans of the 21st century can talk to each other with a little silicone and storm magic, fly around in giant metal vehicles, and produce so much food they are dying more frequently from cancer than from famine and contagious disease - at least in some places - and they also can't cure cancer, lol.

Also, I refuse to rate this fic on principle. How many times have I read the wave arc? Uh, a gazillion trillion million? And that's all there is to this story so far. Sakura-centric is not wrong or bad, but what's there to be excited about here? It's the god damned wave arc again.

8. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Solid 3/5 material for now. I like fics centering on a stronger Sakura and God know they're few and far between so I hope this stays active and picks up, but considering there was like a 4 year hiatus between chapters, I'm doubtful.

9. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Burn Limits has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 10
    Words: 41,806
    Updated: 2019-02-09 23:59:50 UTC
    Published: 2012-04-02 07:53:20 UTC
    Previously updated: over 1 year ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.

10. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 11
    Words: 47,578
    Updated: 2020-01-19 00:51:57 UTC
    Previously updated: 11 months ago

11. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 52,969
    Updated: 2020-03-14 04:37:00 UTC
    Previously updated: about 2 months ago

12. Xion

Story Stats
    Chapters: 13
    Words: 57,046
    Updated: 2022-07-16 22:27:24 UTC
    Previously updated: over 2 years ago