1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Fanfiction Fandoms

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Nemrut, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The problem with AO3 is you can't exclude relationship types and people (I think) are allowed to add as many tags as they want to their story. Quite often they add heaps of pointless tags and clutter the page up.

2. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Those stories are from the guy who wrote Hope returns to Brockton Bay? Wow, did not see that coming.

3. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

They can be, just type -"m/m", -"danny/taylor" or whatever, with what you want to exclude between the quotation marks, into Search within results. However, as with any system reliant on the author, not all stories are going to be marked properly.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  4. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I've always been curious about the opposite of popular fandoms: the surprisingly large number with only one or a few stories on fanfiction.net.

If one were to write a story for a fandom that's nonexistent on the site, is there a process for creating a "fandom" for it? (I don't recall seeing such an option when I wrote a fanfiction of Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground.)

5. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I think you send an email.

https://www.fanfiction.net/support/

6. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

One thing to note on the Game of Thrones sections is that Martin has come out vehemently against fanfiction. Meaning any stories written based on his books could lead to legal issues.

With the tv section though, HBO has made no such statements. It's a weird situation. But:

Based on books: bad
    Based on show: we don't care

7. Nerdman3000

Nerdman3000 Seventh Year

Honestly, I'm not sure you can say that Twilight really has a large amount of fanfiction, as from what I've seen when I've glimpsed through that archive once, it would seem about 3/4's of all the stories there were basically 'All-Human', in which the other basically writes original fiction and decides to slap the names of Twilight characters on what is essentially original characters. It actually took me seven minutes to find a story that was based on the actual books, and not what was essentially original fiction. In fact, Fifty Shades of Grey if I remember correctly was one of this stories and all the author did was rename her characters and made millions as a result.

As for Percy Jackson, I actually have seen some good but very rare fanfiction, but I agree it's hard to find it. Of the actually good Percy Jackson fanfiction other than 'Broken Bow'(which was written before the second series, and thus a little out of date), five good Percy Jackson fanfics were abandoned(two of which by the same author), two are crossovers with Harry Potter (NOT the very disappointingly bad Prince of Death series before you ask Rhaegar I), yet one of them is a femHarry and many people seem to weirdly hate that(never understood what was wrong with femHarry as long as it's written well like Alexandria Potter or A Long Journey Home), and only other Percy Jackson fic that is good has been completed, but doesn't have as great a sequel. Maybe if I look a little more I might find more? Percy Jackson probably needs it's own quality fanfiction community or forum like Dark Lord Potter if I'm honest.

8. Meerkats

Meerkats Unspeakable

You mentioned multiple fics but you named two.

9. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

10. Download

High Score:
    It's because most Fem!Harry stories are written for the same reason that many writers write slash; relationship wish fulfillment and not wanting their favourite characters to sleep with any other girl. Most are SI taking the place of Harry just so the author can "fall in love" with Malfoy, Snape or Voldemort.

I like Fem!Harry stories, but I near exclusively read the rarer gen or femslash variety. There isn't much choice there. Butterfly Effect is probably going to stay my favorite Fem!Harry story even if it would be considered a bit cliche now.

11. thejabber27

thejabber27 Groundskeeper

The funny thing about some of these sizes is that while it is representative of the popularity of the fandom some of them have so far yet to show me a good non crossover fic. Fairy Tail is a good example, 41.2K non-crossover fics as of this post and the only good stories I've read have been crossovers.

I don't think RWBY is going to get too big now that it's been cancelled. It wasn't too great, lost me in season two early on.

I wish for more OP fics, it deserves them. Oda has set up a great world and is one of the few randoms where I see OC's as main characters working.

Sadly I do believe the data is skewed a bit due to rule 34 of the internet.

12. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

RWBY hasn't been canceled.

13. Download

High Score:
    It hasn't been cancelled.

14. thejabber27

Postponed, my mistake.

15. Download

High Score:
    Hasn't been postponed either.

16. Nemrut

High Score:
    When you guys mention a story that you feel is quality work or at least worth reading, could you also provide a link? Will try to do so as well, seeing as I neglected to do so in the OP.
    thejabber27: you say you know good FT crossovers, could you elaborate on that one? Only crossovers I know is X lands in the FT world, mostly Naruto, and they proceed to curbstomp most people the setting, before and after joining FT and then start a romance either with Mira or Erza.

Have yet to see a truly quality FT story.

17. thejabber27

They're 3/5 but it's loads above the norm, yeah they're both Naruto/Fairy tail crossovers as well.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7914311/1/A-New-World-The-Story-Of-A-Lost-Shinobi

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6362371/1/The-Tale-of-the-Utterly-Gutsy-Shinobi

Only readable FT Fics I've found. Forgot what they're about honestly. Probably followed canon too closely or something. XD

18. Nemrut

High Score:
    Was looking up Warcraft and I noticed it only has 5.8k stories on ff.net. With the Warcraft franchise going strong for over 15 years with Warcraft 3 and World of Warcraft, that's practically nothing.

Wonder why there are so few Warcraft stories. It's actually a pretty good fandom to write in, very easy to get a handle on the magic and whatnot, with a lot of distinct characters. Odd.

19. Agayek

Agayek Dimensional Trunk DLP Supporter

Because everyone knows the official canon for Warcraft is really just bad fanfiction. /zing

Though it really has gotten really bad since the end of the first WoW expansion. That probably has a great deal to do with it. There's a lot of really weird shit, confusing retcons, and just plain bad writing in a lot of the more recent Warcraft lore.

20. Nemrut

High Score:
    I laughed, good one xD

All the more reason to write fanfiction then, I'd think. Isn't that one of the core functions of fanfiction? To not only celebrate the source material but to expand on the parts where it let you down?

I mean, judging by the ff.net numbers, exposure and longevity are among the main reasons for the numbers in fanfiction and warcraft has both in spades, so, the low numbers are actually pretty shocking.

What, teenagers didn't even want to write high school AU fics with Thrall, Arthas and Slyvanas being seniors or some shit? WoW alone has ten years and counting, what about all the old school WC3 fans? and the fans of the games even before that? And now Heroes of the Storm (although, I'll give you that, that one is new. Still, that means that the Warcraft characters are still relatively present)