1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

Sweet Zombie Jesus. Those system requirements...

2. Harry_J_Potter

Harry_J_Potter Second Year

3. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

I... I'm really hyped for this game, binged the books and the TV series when I first beat the first two games, and the only thing that really hit me in the linked video was that the person speaking about the collectors edition fairly early on could not pronounce Geralts name, which bothered me quite a bit more than it should have.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Ouch. The news about those expansions-in-the-making are really causing a backlash for CDPR.

5. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's the skinny? I've heard nothing but glowing reports regarding the game in general from my podcasts.

6. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The devs are apparently planning 2-3 expansions in the future and have already set up an expansion pass, which is just a different word for season pass. They're saying the expansions will be 10h of content each, but people don't like it they're already selling expansion passes and future content before the game is even released.

Here's a link for that: Two major Witcher 3: Wild Hunt expansions announced

7. Gengar

High Score:
    My reply to these complaints would not be polite. Especially when they haven't even played the game yet.

People just want everything for free.

If this was The Order, say, I'd understand the consternation. That game already felt too short and ended abruptly. By all accounts, this game'll supposedly take 150-200 hours to finish 100%.

If it's an argument based on value, they've no leg to stand on. I remember CDPR boasting free DLC, if that is affected though, I'd be less annoyed. Still, complaining before you even see the content is absurd.

8. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Where is this backlash coming from?

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

People aren't complaining they're charging for these expansions. That's perfectly reasonable. It's just that they're already setting up ways for people to buy additional content that's not even out yet, when the game itself is still a month away from release.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Um, so?

People are upset that they're supposedly organising their monetization strategies?

'They're already setting up ways for people to buy additional content that's not even out yet.'

You've just described a pre-order.

As for the game not being out yet. That's irrelevant. It's likely gone gold and they're looking to secure their next revenue stream.

If anything, I'm annoyed by them working on DLC instead of Cyberpunk.

11. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Don't remind me of that, please. The game is, at the very least, 2 years away and being reminded it still hanging out there in development limbo (until they get fully done with Witcher 3) is just suffering.

12. Gengar

High Score:
    Sorry, but that sounds optimistic, lol. Especially from the ambitious post launch content they keep boasting.

Unless W3 is wildly successful (15m+). They might be able to split teams.

13. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

The only way its feasibly possible for the game to take 150-200 hours to 100% is by entirely arbitrary means such as forcing us to wait x amount of time for respawns for side quests and not through actual meaningful content.

CDPR stated they're still giving 16 free DLC.

As for the complaints, they're valid in my opinion. It's a bit sleazy to already be marketing and accepting money for not 1 but 2 expansions before the base game has even released.

Add to the fact this 'announcement' came just after Pillars of Eternity's announcement of an expansion 2 weeks after their game released(see how they waited until after their game actually sold a bit?) just screams of 1-upmanship to me, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Edit: The game's map has been released apparently. Think they were quoted as saying if you could run from the top end to the bottom end a straight path(which you can't) it would take 20 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  14. Gengar

High Score:
    Sleazy?

Let's all get angry that they're asking for payment for their work. If people don't wait to see if they like the game before throwing money at them, that's their fault. Their priority, or at least a major driving force, has to be money. Money to pay their workers, money to compensate their hard work, money to make their next game.

And can we please not pass judgement on the size and scope of the game before playing it?

Even if it's a 50 hour game, that's more than enough to justify the price of admission. They're well within their rights to charge for additional story content.

Just as you're well within your rights to not buy it.

Hell, what am I talking about? It's up to you if you want to feel angry.

I just think it's incredibly naïve.

15. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

You seem a bit irrationally defensive over this issue but that could just be me. I never said i was upset, just that the complaints are a valid point as the main game isn't even released yet.

*shrug*

16. Gengar

High Score:
    Irrationally defensive?

Maybe.

I'd rather call it 'aggressively dismissive'. Everything we've seen so far points to a potential masterpiece, yet people get angry about extra charged expansions, and about them detailing their schedule so you'll know what the season pass gets you.

And when...

People are just looking for (ridiculous) reasons to be angry.

17. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

I don't have much of an issue about charged expansions. The timing could be better, but as long as it's not "day one" DLC. I don't really care.

I think alot of the complaints are less about what this Dev team is doing and more about the increasing cash grab by other companies.

Charging for expansions is reasonable. Letting people know their options is reasonable; but both of these are too closely tied to EA-like maneuvers and it makes customers unreasonable.

18. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

This is all I needed to see to determine that people are bitching for the sake of bitching.

In addition:

19. Gengar

High Score:
    Don't be ridiculous, that's far too reasonable.

20. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've still yet to see anyone actually raising a fuss about this outside of the discussion here.