1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Sephiroso

Sephiroso Disappeared

People aren't making as much of a big deal about it as Hugplx seems to think they are, but they are complaining though. I've seen a number of websites with people thinking they're clever bringing up CDPR's admonishment at companies charging for DLC that's barely adding any content and act like CDPR said "we will never sell additional content for a game we create".

2. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Depends on where you frequent. Bunch of the chans and some other choice sites I tend to lean towards are still complaining about the drop in graphics quality from the technical preview last year on top of being surprised that a company created with the intent of making money is trying to make money.

Lets see... If I had to categorize all of the bitching it would be like this.

The people complaining about the technical aspects of the game and how console parity will limit things in term of graphics, controls, UI, the map, etc, etc, etc. The usual console vs PC arguments.

The people who complain about CDPR selling out, going against the fans, being angry at newcomers for not reading the books, watching the TV series or for not having playing the other games when they first came out. Whining about the younger generation essentially.

The people who decided to chime in about issues that have nothing to do with Witcher - that I refuse to name for fear of summoning the beast - which isn't exactly surprising since CDPR decided to use virtual racism as a PR stunt for reasons I don't really care to understand or otherwise argue about.

The people calling it Skyrim or Spore, the wild hunt and essentially fanning the flames of the above and trying to turn things into massive pile of hate and rage.

Meanwhile I just want the voice actor of Geralt from the original game to learn English and do the voice acting, and maybe, you know, wait until the game comes out and release my nerd rage when it isn't exactly as I imagined it should be.

Edit: And before anyone says anything, yes I set the voices to Polish and use the subtitles, but still.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  3. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Get the fuck out! You reminded me of this shit - now my brain hurts. ;)

And yes, that series was a complete and utter pile of dog shit and any mention of it deserves burning at the stake.

4. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

It had a decent soundtrack from what I recall.

5. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Yes, it did. Doesn't change the fact that everything else about it was utter shit.

6. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Were mermaids sexed though?

7. Jarsha

Jarsha Seventh Year

Nope, had some nudity and sexing before he fucks off to do other things involving some rough acting, poor scene direction and a budget that left the monsters looking ridiculous.

Give me a minute and I'll pull some choice clips.

Episode 1 is young Geralt and how he earns his epithet.
    Episode 2 is training and learning what it means to have a working penis.
    Episode 3 is something to do with elves. Which he plans to use his penis on. Which continues on in episode four, the majority of what Geralt does in these amounts to horse riding for scene transition, and screwing prostitutes or damsels. Which sounds oddly familiar.

Finally found a decent clip of their monsters. 6 minutes in for around a minute.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  8. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

That was the only decent looking monster in this shit. In the same episode there was a baby dragon - a rubber baby dragon. I shit you not. Here it is - Yennefer is holding it. And don't get me started on the TV series striga - she looked like Smurfette on steroids.

9. blob

blob Seventh Year

So, new video has been released - ~10m gameplay of a quest.

Fun fact - there's some fucking around with pretending that xbox runs it on 1080p/60fps for whatever reason and that the gameplay was captured on an xbox, and people are butthurt about it as it's obviously false.

You can watch the video here (not the official channel cause it's age restricted).

Thoughts?
    Personally I think it's too early to tell much, but overall it seems to be decent. Horse riding seems almost as atrocious as Skyrim unless you gallop - really hope it will be changed as the world is supposed to be huge and I can tell that it's shit just by watching a short video of it. Combat seems to be better than 1st and 2nd game (hopefully - it will probably be much more important to get it right in an open world than in either I or II, and both were kinda iffy on that point).

Graphics, though... The trees seemed to be of a disappointing quality, but I liked the way they bend in the wind. Other than flora, it looks okay. Also, with a mod to make the darkness more dark instead of this blueish tinge I think that the night will have a nice atmospheric feel to it.

Also I might be biased as I've always played with polish dub and am very used to it, but I faintly remember some hype about the english voice actor for Geralt - but god damn it, it didn't seem to fit at all. Seems rather similar to Adam Jensen from DX:HR and while I loved it there, in a Witcher it's just... Ugh. Hopefully that's just me.

10. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Polish dub is the one, true, good and only. Search your feelings; you know it to be true. ;)

11. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I dunno, I like English Geralt.

12. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Though I can understand roughly about half what they're saying, and do enjoy several of the Polish VAs for the game, Triss' VA was just... no.

Mind, I'll still play the game in Polish at least once, because it just feels right.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Maybe I'm misremembering, but this game wasn't only supposed to be pretty, it was supposed to be a technical masterpiece...

It certainly looked that way in the first videos I saw, but these latest ones... Not so much. Across the board.

I'd even say it's not even that much more impressive than DA:I, but that ran at 60 (does this?).

14. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

I was gifted the game by a friend (@big_z <3), and I'm really looking forward to the modding tool, if it's good I can see this taking over from Skyrim as the game, at least until Fallout 4 comes out.

One thing that feels kind of weird is that mouse and keyboard is still not done, when all those youtubers got to visit the studio they HAD to use a controller.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    Awk topic atm, lol. How is Witcher distributing on PC? Steam? Will they be rolling out the paid modding for it and other new games?

16. Gizmore

Gizmore Minister of Swedish Affairs DLP Supporter

The game is on steam, not sure if it's exclusive or about the paid mods, the developers might want to hold back on that due to the recent shitstorm though.

17. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

Its also available, DRM free, on gog.com. The guys behind Witcher own or a part of the organisation so all their games are usually on there.

Valve has also put a stop to the paid mod stuff for now because of all the negative feedback from the gaming community. CD Projekt also doesn't seem like the type of company to implement that. They release mini dlcs (cosmetic shit and small quests) for free and have been super supportive of the modding community in the past. I know they released mod tools for Witcher 2 and I'm pretty sure they did for the first also.

18. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Eh... I read an article where mouse and keyboard worked reasonable well (and which said that you can easily switch between the two in-game).

And you will probably will have to wait quite some time till the "official" modding tools get published. It took them over a year in the case of the Witcher 2.

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Only about two weeks for the release? Time to get hyped, I guess.

So, it's made with a console controller in mind? I played the first and second games on pc, so I'd like to continue doing that, but after the control scheme disaster that was DA:I on pc, I feel like if this was made to best fit a controller, I'll get it on the PS4. Any thoughts about that?

20. Gengar

High Score:
    Get it on PC and play it with a ps4 controller.