1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Why are you rounding down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fruit, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Fruit

Fruit Squib

In the Review Board, I see people rating stories 4.5, 3.5, etc. and then saying that they are rounding it down to the smaller whole number. Why?

I'm fairly certain that they know how rounding works, so I won't bother explaining. Can someone tell me why they do this? It doesn't make any sense. Why not just tell everyone what you're actually rating it?

2. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

The rating system DLP uses for stories is stars, which you can see while browsing threads in the library, WbA, etc. You can only give whole numbers of stars. So they round to whatever they feel is an appropriate rating.

For most stories, that's down.

3. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If you rate something 4.5, that's indicative of it not being deserving of a five. Rather than giving it a perfect score, you round down to more accurately represent your opinion. If you rate something 3.5, you are saying that it wasn't terrible but doesn't deserve to be in the library. If you round up, you are risking including it in the library despite not believing it should be. Those are the two most common .5 ratings, and the most likely reasons for rounding down as opposed to up.

I am very harsh when it comes to ratings, and so things that I rate as 5 stars are deserving of such. A 4.5 is not equivalent to a 5, otherwise I'd have rated it as a 5. Since DLP only allows whole number ratings on the part of the reviewer, that necessitates rounding down for me.

4. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

It's just another reminder to actually read the reviews written, and treat the star ratings as just an interesting secondary piece of data. An arbitrary score of 4.5, for me, means that I liked it a lot, but it wasn't incredible, and the star vote system here doesn't allow anything but integer votes. And what demarcates between incredible and good, or shit tier and mediocre? The written review.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  5. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

OP: It's people being special snowflakes. Ratings are 1/2, 2/5, 3/5, 4/5, 5/5. And that's it. So if someone says "I rate it 3.2956 and give it 4 stars" then he thinks the story is 4/5. The end.

And yes, as was said, reviews > numbers.

6. Steelbadger

Steelbadger Death Eater

I dunno about everyone else but my interpretation of the rules thread was that decimal numbers should be rounded down. Specifically:

So I figured that was how we were meant to do it.

7. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I'd agree with regards to using a number like 3.2956... but I do find a scale of 1-10 more nuanced than one of 1-5, which is why I think a lot of people might rate something a 4.5/5 (or a 9) instead of picking a 4 or a 5 for the written review (even if they do for the thread rating). It's a way of saying that it was 'almost' there, but didn't quite make it.

So yeah, I guess it's a special snowflake thing, but for the written review I don't think it matters, so long as people still go and rate on the 1-5 scale for the thread.

8. Sesc

Steelbadger, the point is that there shouldn't be arbitrary numbers to begin with. I don't care and we don't care how you "round", you reach an integer value eventually somehow, and that is your rating. You write it's 3.5, but you either think it's a 4 or it's not (in which case it's a 3). The entire thing with "3.5, rounded up/down to ..." is really the reviewer showing us their last step in the thought process that led to the final rating: Whatever small factors they consider important nudges it one way or the other. Adding the rounding bit into the rules just followed the realisation that people, for some reason or other, seem to need rules for everything to feel happy.

Edit: Ditto Cheddar. Naturally a 10 scale would be more nuanced, but we don't have one, so you are forced to choose -- which means you prefer one rating over another, which means you have come to a conclusion on the 5 scale. So you might as well write that below your post.

9. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

I think of the 5 starts in terms of terrible:1, bad:2, ok:3, good:4, great:5. Usually, I find that that if a story is under 3, the decimals don't matter. Sometimes, it turns out that stories are not what I'd call good, but they are better than just ok. I usually round them down to 3, but stating the rating as 3.5 is my way of saying that it was better than just ok, but not good enough to be called good. I give a fic a 4.5 when I think it's a great fic overall, but had something that peeved me enough not to call it great.

The point is that decimals are the reviewer's way of conveying a little more than what is allowed by the 5 stars and doesn't usually depend on rules of decimal rounding.

Ultimately, like Sesc said, we all make a choice on whether to round it up or down, and that is the actual rating.

10. Rakkety Tam

Rakkety Tam High Inquisitor

I generally round up anything that would be a 3.5 or above because that's what the forum does. If something averages a 3.65, it is going to show 4 stars.

I also try to avoid rating things that I know going into it I'm probably not going to like because I don't want my personal preferences to hurt the rating of what is a otherwise a well written story.

11. Sesc

Which, if we already have the rules here, by the way is official policy.

In my case, that means I have yet to vote on a single H/Hr or Humour story, since I can't stand pairing and genre.

Just a friendly reminder.

12. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Here's my rating system, not that I've employed it in a while:

3: Almost Recommended
    4: Library
    5: C2

Any .5s I've ever given mean that in my view it's at the top end of the category and with a little refinement, could push beyond.

13. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I've never rated anything a 5, in my mind 5/5 is perfect and I've never read a story that I would consider as such.

14. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of there being a five, if nothing can attain it?

15. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Yeah, and what about those fics that are much better than 4? While nothing is perfect, don't they deserve to be differentiated from the 4s.

16. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

I suppose to some, but it's just how I see it. It also helps keep it in perspective of just how close to or far from perfection the story is. I've also never rated a story 0/5.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
  17. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    If I end up with a decimal, it's not arbitrary. I'll give a 1-5 for grammar, one for storytelling, one for the overall feel of the work, and maybe one more, depending on the day. Then it's a simple method of adding and dividing.

That seldom comes up to whole number. So then I round up or down depending how I rated the feel of the overall work, because in the end, the sum should be greater than the parts.

18. fire

fire Order Member

I prefer a 1-10 scale, for reasons CheddarTrek highlighted.

It's more nuanced, and realistically I'm not going to be reading stories less than a 3/5 (6/10) - and of the stories that I do read, I will then in turn want to classify them as average/good/very good/excellent/orgasmic - thus a 10 scale seems to me preferable.

19. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

You're stuck with a 5-star system. So you can use .5s to convey to your fellow reader that you think it's leaning one way or another, but you're a 2/10, 4/10, 6/10, 8/10, or 10/10 at the end of the day on the thread rating.

I encourage you all to be a little optimistic -- I'd rather a story end up in Almost Recommended if nothing else. Unless it's really terrible, in which case why did it get recommended? :)

20. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter