1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Revenge of the Wizard by Darth Marrs - M - HP/SW

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Russano, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Russano

Russano Disappeared

Title: Revenge of the Wizard
    Author: Darth Marrs
    Rating: M
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Fantasy
    Words: 53k+
    Published: Dec 23, 2014
    Library Category: The Alternates
    Pairings: Harry/Leia
    Summary: A Harry Potter cursed with immortality must not only survive the raping of Earth by monsters far more powerful than any humanity has encountered, but he must rise to save it, and in the process exact one wizard's revenge against the Galactic Empire.
    Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10912355/1/Revenge-of-the-Wizard

So Darth Marrs has another story. This one is a Harry Potter / Star Wars crossover. I haven't read most of his other ones because the premises sounded awful. This particular one features Harry Potter (and unfortunately, some other side characters) going around doing things in the Star Wars Universe - a premise I actually like.

Plot wise it is set right around the start of A New Hope. Imperials basically take over and destroy Earth killing and enslaving everybody. The story seems like it will be pretty much Harry joining the Rebels and overthrowing the Empire.

Seems like fairly standard Darth Marrs fare - readable/interesting premise that is fairly well written with some angst thrown in then eventually dissolves into WTF why I am even reading this.

It says Harry's immortal, but I think he's only like 50 so it seems like its kind of just thrown in for additional angst.

One of the things I do like about Darth Marrs is willingness to change whatever he feels like with the plot so you don't end up in rehashes.

I started off really interested in this, but some of the recent stuff has started to temper that interest (like everything Darth Marrs writes.)

I rate it 3/5 - Guilty Pleasure level. (Again, like everything else he writes.)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Right, before I even dare dive into this, how much grimdark can I expect? Rape camps?

3. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Pretty much and a lot of other shit.

For example Harry leads a secret revolt of enslaved wizards and muggles on Despayre (Arc1 of the story), manages to dupe the imperial forces and was just about to get away with it, when the Empire (because the Emperor has foreseen it) ambushes them, kills every slave he has freed and captures him.

EDIT: As for the review. I don't know if I can manage one. I can't seem to decide whether I like the fic enough to rate it a 3/5 or not. I'm undecided.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  4. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Too grimdark for me. And I usually don't mind it. That's saying something.

5. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The last chapter had me baffled. The whole Emperor forsaw something like magic... bah. I give it 4 for the idea and solid writing and -2 for the wtf. so 2/5

6. KGB

KGB Headmaster

Darth Marrs is really streamlining his process. It usually takes him half a fic to drive me into boredom/frustration, this fic managed it within 3 chapters.

This fic is for his fanbase. If your not already on board with his usual bullshit it ain't for you.

7. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

3/5 for me. Its well written, its got a logical plot.
    Its also darth mars being darth mars.

I'm more reading his stories now to see how he as a writer is changing, and less about the actual story.

8. Download

Download Auror ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Struggled with the first chapter. No sure if I'm allowed to rate if I only read chapter 1.

As per usual it seems that Darth Marrs has come up with an interesting idea and quickly fucked it with the long cock of retardation.

Does anyone know the Star Wars EU well? I was under the impression that for the most part the Empire only (brutally) enslaved non-humans for the most part and that they only did the standard oppression fare when it came to humans.

9. Saot

Saot Groundskeeper

That's actually a fairly significant plot-point a few chapters in.

10. PWIZDUO

PWIZDUO Fourth Year

I've been reading it and based on all of the negative crap said about the author in the almost reccomended thread I've been quite pleasantly surprised. 3.5/5

11. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Eh. What you should have learned is that Darth Marrs basically defines 3/5. Typically starts off strong as fuck, then it just... combusts into angry, grim mediocrity.

He's like a -2 std dev version of LogicalPremise.

12. Andrela

Andrela Plot Bunny DLP Supporter

Come on, the word "rape" is already in the summary!

2/5

13. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

It's Darth Marrs being Darth Marrs, with all that tends to entail: powerful, a side helping of ruthless, and perhaps not the most well-rounded main character; a divergence point that is at least interesting; at least adequate to competent writing... The problem I have with most of his fics is that I never feel he gets the amount of detail right - either he takes his idea and fleshes it out almost too much (Firebird trilogy) or he leaves too much vague.

It's about as much an acquired taste as you're going to find in fanfiction, in my opinion.

I'm uncertain about this iteration. It's possibly almost recommendable right now, in a guilty pleasure kind of way, but previous fics (Firebird, Defense for Two) have suffered from a drop in quality in the latter half/third, and unless he averts that, I don't see this as being worthy of AR. 2/5, albeit very close to 3/5.

14. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

3/5 from me.

There is (thankfully) less romance/sex/harem in it than I've come to expect/dread from Darth Marrs. Still more than I personally like, but it's about par for the course with fanfics.

The plot clips along at a decent pace.
    Harry is a slave on Despayre, along with a lot of earth!humans. The Empire came out of nowhere, fucked over the planet, and left with those they captured. Harry rallies mentally in the first few chapters, and from there steps back into his role as leader. Harry is approximately forty in this fic, if I remember right.

Harry attempts to rescue everyone, but fails. He gets tortured, but escapes. He joins the Alliance in exchange for use of a ship, and goes back to Earth to acquire all the survivors, who are holed up in various well protected magical schools. They colonize a planet. The Empire manages to more-or-less locate it, but it's hidden with Fidelius, and the fear that they will manage to destroy them again exists.

There is backstory with magic and the force and how they're related. There is additional mythos on the Master of Death. The pairing is Harry/Leia.

More stuff. And things.
    It's not great, but it's not bad. The reasonable pacing means that when I get bored of something I can skim ahead for a bit until the next plot point shows up, since it's not likely to be too far ahead.

Possibly the bit I found interesting (so far) was around Chapter 28, when Harry discovers the origins of magical people. Does a halfway decent job of showing us both sides, but it comes down to the people of Adega experimenting with the force to alter themselves and the unborn thousands of years ago. The Jedi objected, the Adega said they'd stop but not to hurt the children already born, the Jedi had sticks up their asses because it was actually a fairly 'dark' thing to have done, and things spiralled way the fuck out of control.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  15. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

This story was the definition of average for me. It didn't really do anything wrong, but it didn't do anything particularly interesting either. The summary made it sound more interesting than it was - implying that Harry was actually the last wizard alive and would be working on his own to undermine the empire, with nothing to lose. Instead, he has a whole community of wizards and witches to protect and the story revolves heavily around them.

The story also wanders around aimlessly for too long, showing random day-to-day events that have little to no impact on the plot progression. It feels like the 200k-odd words could easily be around 60-80k if the story were written more concisely.

The end also just wasn't really worth the wait: some of the minor characters basically just step in and handle Palpatine out of nowhere, with Harry and Leia doing way less than expected after all that setup getting there.

There's also a cringeworthy, unnecessary epilogue focused on Vader which is 3x as long as Palpatine's end, even though Vader in this story is basically just a faceless villain rather than a fleshed out character, and really wasn't the cause of any of the major conflict in the story anyway.

The best part was reading about how ridiculously powerful Palpatine was at the very end, I wish that battle was drawn out a bit more. The idea of Palpatine just taking over that explosion or whatever was awesome to imagine.

2/5 for me.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  16. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

You are, of course, free to rate however you desire, based on your own criteria, so forth, so on.

But I found it odd that the 'definition of average' was a 2/5 instead of a 3/5, given that the system goes from 1 to 5.

17. IBG

IBG Seventh Year

There's way more shitty stories than good ones, so the average is lower :p

I just rate relative to what I give other stories though, so for me 2 and 3 both pretty much mean average/readable but 2 = I'd still never really recommend it to anyone and 3 = Almost recommendable/maybe put up for review in a couple chapters.

Even though I finished this story I'd honestly never recommend it to anyone so I went with a 2. I'll add a couple lines to my first post about it since I just remembered some more about this story.

18. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Was torture for torture's sake ever a thing for the Empire? Never read the EU, but seems pointlessly grimdark.

19. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

I was reading this, and almost dropped it at 'Despayre'. Really? Is that a canonical planet?

20. MonkeyEpoxy

MonkeyEpoxy The Cursed Child DLP Supporter

Lol. Your question can be solved in 1.2 seconds of googling. It's 2015, mate.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Despayre

Seriously, it's first appearance was like 20 years ago.

I mean, I get that it was supposed to be a joke, but can you give it even a modicum of effort?

Well, I mean, technically, no it's not canon anymore. It's firmly legends content since the Disney buy.

But for the definition of canon that you're looking for, yes it is. And has been for a couple decades.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015