1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Scryer: Fanfiction Search Database (Alpha)

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lord Ravenclaw, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

That seems to be the case for all fandoms.

2. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

It's not difficult. I welcome pull requests, however it's been hard to find time to work on things.

See previous posts. Haven't fixed the character intersection because fundamentally it's a change to how it works to allow all crossovers.

I'll likely have something fixed up this week.

3. theminikiller

theminikiller Third Year

Is it possible when you search to show both crossovers and non-crossovers of a fandom? Say if I wanted to see a list of the most popular fics in the Harry Potter fandom would it be possible to see both the pure HP stories and stories with HP and another crossover in the same list? Or is this already possible and I'm just blind?

EDIT: Forgot about this... Anyway is it possible to choose multiple base fandoms? A concrete example would be that I would like to see both SG:1 fics and SG:Atlantis at the same time as they are almost the same show.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm probably really annoying but this occurred to me:

When at the and you sort which fics are shown first you can Sort them in ascending and descending order and that is good, when you input the other criteria(by favorites,reviews,length etc) you can only choose one. It would be awesome if I could for example choose to sort them by recently updated and length (most recent updated longest fic ).

Can this be done?

5. Lord Ravenclaw

Pushed out some Scryer improvements over the last few days:

1. (NEW) Added a Long & Recent sorting algorithm.
    2. (NEW) You can have multiple source fandoms.
    3. (NEW) You can include the source (non-crossover) fandom now when displaying a crossover. Good for smaller fandoms.
    4. (NEW) Apparently there's a Game of Thrones fandom (not just ASOIAF), so I added that.
    5. (FIX) Crossover characters now work properly. Selecting "All Crossovers" will result in a true intersection of the characters, but the character lists are still

Up next:
    • Saved searches
    • ignored authors/stories.

6. Lord Ravenclaw

Can be, yes. I deployed a first cut of it.

It requires some experimentation as it qualifies as a scoring algorithm. You can't naively sort on either attribute as you'd rarely have a collision. There's a few approaches to take:

- Bucketing. You stratify by say 1 week intervals and sort secondarily by wordcount. This tends to feel pretty artificial. Swapping age and wordcount feels just as artificial.
    - Real scoring. You put weights on each field and normalize the values to be relative to each other. This is how popular & recent works as well as the new long & recent. It takes a combination of days since last update and the scored values (words or (follows+reviews+favs)). In the popular case, it weights it with the square root of the number of chapters to prevent really long stories from all floating to the top. In the long case, it takes the square root of the word length. This produced better results than a straight logarithm.

Both are just equations. It's decent, but not perfect because there is no *right* answer in compound scoring. Give it a spin.

7. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Gave a spin to the Long&Recent. The only problem I see is it shows fics with very low word count but high chapter count. For example:

This was the second on the list it showed.

8. readerboy7

readerboy7 Fourth Year

This is more of a Lucene syntax question than a Scryer one, but I couldn't find the answer on the Syntax page.
    How do I make a search that filters out all stories that say 'slash' or 'yaoi' in the summary, without removing summaries that say 'not slash' or 'no slash' etc. Without giving priority to fics that say 'not slash' or 'no slash' etc.
    Thanks in advance.

9. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

There does not seem to be a way to include or exclude source fandom's characters when All Crossover is chosen.

Also the All Crossover section does not appear to be doing anything while searching. All fics which includes the source fanfics are being shown while searching even when the 'Include source fandom' option is unselected.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  10. Lord Ravenclaw

As designed -- it's the source fandom for the crossover search, so the characters *should* be present.

Thanks for the report, I pushed a fix for this.