1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Adventures of Harry Potter, The Video Game: Exploited by Michaelsuave - M

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Pasta Sentient, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Title:The Adventures of Harry Potter, the Video Game: Exploited
    Author: Michaelsuave
    Rating: M
    Genre: Humor/Parody
    Library Category: Humor
    Pairings: Harry/numerous
    Summary:Harry Potter catches Voldemort's AK to the noggin only to find out that his life is a video game and he forgot to save. So what does he do? Does he return on Hard mode and work for the challenge? Heck No! Harry uses every exploit, grind, or underhanded tactic he can get his hands on. His life may be a video game, but nobody plays Harry Potter; Harry's going to exploit the system.
    Link:Fanfiction

EDIT by Minion
    To make fun of you and to keep the numbers of entries up, I keep this original thread of yours up for review
    Minion shakes his head

To the dear reader:
    The review thread Pasta intended to post can be found here:
    Harry Potter: The RPG by Britael - M

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2015
  2. Heosphoros

Heosphoros Fourth Year

Some months ago I was searching for some game-like fics and also found this one. It's readable, but honestly, I didn't liked. Too crack-y for my tastes and not really funny. I prefer when the game elements are more limited, not warping the entire world. When you start having NPCs and game mechanics ruling everything for everyone and mentions of a game developer behind all, it ruins for me.

2/5 to me.

By the way, are you sure the fic you linked is the same that you reviewed? What you said about the fanfic reminded me more of Harry Potter: The RPG than the one you linked, this one have a lecherous Harry with some dark implications and a awkward character sheet, for instance.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Wtf is this? I gave the first chapter a pass, thinking it'll get less stupid. Maybe.

He proceeds to cuss like a sailor while running around screaming and making weird sound effects.

That's not funny. Even objectively.

Then the author feels the need to explain RPG mechanics in his crack fic. If people are reading, my guess is they already know.

Unfunny, annoying and tedious. I'm not rating because I only read two chapters though.

I'd give it a 1 though, if only because the difficulty selector made me wonder how glorious a HPxGame xover would be if the game aspects were borrowed more from From than Skyrim.

The level of cheese Harry could experience and exploit would be the right amount of crack for me.

4. Pasta Sentient

Complete derp on my part. Heosphoros has the right of it. The fic he linked was the one I associated with this fic.

5. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Do a new entrance, this one went to shit already.

6. Pasta Sentient

Edited for actual story. Both are on my alerts list. How I got them confused.

7. NuScorpii

NuScorpii Professor

Couldn't get beyond the first chapter of either of them.

Clicked the x on the first one the moment I read the words 'bound magic'.

The second one was not a story at all. It's a description of events, a rather bland one at that.

I'm going to avoid rating them since I couldn't get through even 10%.

8. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Bumped to gain attention: This thread is for the story Pasta accidentally posted :p

9. Radmar

Radmar Disappeared

I didn't get too far into it, just four or five chapters, and I am not impressed by it. This particular game would fail. Whole point of creating a game is to create convincing simulation of some reality. While reading it, i didn't feel that game was real. Some doors were even just painted on a wall. I stopped reading after that, from fear that Harry would dig a hole in the ground. What would he see? Endless space starting just below the ground? That's... I don't have words. Who would even whant to play that game? It's just so stupid...

But it's parody again, so that is probably not even relevant. I don't like rating parodies and humor. Well, to be fair, I found it funny. But still, the fact that during canon books Harry played that game too and didn't notice it, is just so very stupid. 2/5, but it's worse kind of 2/5 than that other story.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
  10. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Reading this story really made me appreciate how much less shitty the similar story posted is. The game presented fails to be a good enough simulation to really be compelling, and the writing actually manages to be a lot worse too. 1/5

11. Drunken dark lord

Drunken dark lord First Year

Simply horrible, 1/5
    The whole Luna bit unbelieable made it even worse.
    Also, Harry's crazy laughter is just plain stupid.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  12. Alexeyy

Alexeyy Seventh Year DLP Supporter

The first chapter is amusing. I don't remember having a problem with the grammar in this story, so I guess technically it's okay. There are plenty of blocks of text listing Harry's gaming statistics though, which is useless. The plot, and the scenes are impressive, the effort that the author has invested into planning all this is commendable.

That concludes the good part, both about the story, and the author. For in fact I find the author is unhinged: I tried reading one more story by him (titled `Oops`), and it's equally crazy. Can't expound on that though, words fail me. As to the story: it's boring, wordy, it breaks suspension of disbelieve many times, the whole chosen genre is lackluster. I've yet to see a solid finished story of this genre. 2/5.

13. newageofpower

newageofpower Professor DLP Supporter

Do you know of any good fabrics of this genre that are still in progress, then?

14. Alexeyy

Uh, sorry, I looked through the fics I've archived, and didn't find much.

This one isn't exactly of the "Game over? Start new game?" variety but close:
    Harry Potter and the Temporal Beacon by willyolioleo
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6517567/1/
    My summary: Hermione Granger is a Rune genius who invents new form of time-travel that gives her and Harry a sort-of "saving the game" ability, so that when something goes wrong, or even if they die, they can come back to the point in time of their choosing and start anew.

Harry Potter: Game of the Year Edition, by Casey W
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8052743/1/

Sorry I know it isn't helpful, just try looking on these forums, looking for keywords "game", "rpg" whatever.

15. newageofpower

Game of the Year hasn't been updated since 2013, dude. How is that still in progress?

I'll try looking on this forum, but its tagging leaks like a sieve. This thread, for example, doesn't have either game or RPG tags.

16. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah, wish there was a more organized way to find certain types of fics. Only reliable way I find of finding "RPG"ish games is to look through the favorites of the authors that write 'em in the first place.

17. Alexeyy

That's a valid point.

Edit: edited tags.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  18. Jazerus

Jazerus First Year

The only good "life is a video game" fic I've ever read is Naruto: The Gamer Files - no HP fics at all, unfortunately.

19. Alexeyy

20. newageofpower

Heh. Mrs. Insane One. Her handle is fairly appropriate. Her quality is very... inconsistent. I recall giving her a positive (FFnet) review for some truly imaginative ideas and plot execution, but she's just as likely to abuse some cliches in the worst manner possible.