1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice on an internal storage HDD

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by Innomine, May 23, 2015.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, I'm pretty sure my 2tb WD HDD is dying.

It seems to hang for 30-60 seconds every 5-10 minutes. Whenever I try using it, navigating folders, it freezes and says "not responding". Then after 30-60 secs it's fine for a while. Same thing if I try playing a media file on it.

I can transfer large files to it still though, but you can see the transfer rate stop for a while during the transfer.

So I assume this means it's dying, and that I need to get another. I've always bought WD HDDs in the past and unless there's a reason to change this, I'll probably stick with them.

What I don't understand, is what all the different colors mean. What is this red blue green purple naming scheme they've come up with?

I'm after a 2-4tb (depending on price) internal HDD, my main concern is long term reliability. It'll be mainly used for storage, I have an SSD to deal with everyday things.

What colour should I get? Or should I go with a different manufacturer?

I'll be ordering off this website. (yes it's an NZ website, thus it's expensive)

Just checking that website, this 3tb seagate HDD seems to be popular, and relatively cheap. Thoughts?

2. Sauce Bauss

Sauce Bauss Second Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The color nomenclature is regarding the speed/quality/intent of the drives. WD Green drives have a smaller energy footprint(I don't suggest this for a system drive), WD Black are performance and have higher read/write speeds, Blue are just standard, Red is for RAID/NAS systems.

For a system drive, a black is the best. Since you said you have an SSD for your OS, then it depends a little on what you use it for. If you have games installed on the external drive, then a black is also suggested. Otherwise, you can go for the cheapest one at the capacity you want. The quality isn't markedly different. Consumer greens can be irritating if you're accessing it infrequently since they spin down to save power, so there can be a slight delay if you haven't accessed the drive in some time.

WD is perfectly fine, and I personally prefer them over Seagate. Seagate had an entire line of drives have an extremely high failure rate some years back, and so I've avoided them since. Not a huge consideration, but brand loyalty is what it is.

In regards to capacity, I will mention that the more platters a disk drive has, the higher the chance of failure. A 4 TB drive has a higher chance of failure than a 1TB, which has a higher chance of failure than a 500GB. Not a dealbreaker, but something to consider.

EDIT: Upon doing some quick research, it looks like 3TB Seagate drives have a higher failure rate than any of Seagate's other drives, or any of WD's. The related picture is stats compiled from the cloud storage company Backblaze. Going by their metrics, I'd avoid the 3TB Seagate drives.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  3. Innomine

High Score:
    That's everything I wanted to know. Cheers.

4. Reign

Reign Fourth Year

I've let the last few questions about hard drives go by without mentioning SpinRite, thinking someone else would but I haven't seen a post yet.

SpinRite

Basically? It fix's HD's. More in-depth explanation.

5. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I just bought two hard drives myself. They came in today and I'm currently installing windows on the SSD. I bought these:
    Samsumg 850 Pro 256gb - $143
    Toshiba 4tb HDD - $130

Part of the reason I picked that 4tb drive (which might work for you) is becaus of this particular article:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive-q4-2014/
    & the follow-up https://www.backblaze.com/blog/best-hard-drive/

In short it seems like HGST and Toshiba are making reliable 4 TB drives at the moment.

Hope that helps.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Before you pay for Spinrite, read this: http://serverfault.com/questions/51681/does-spinrite-do-what-it-claims-to-do

Depending on what you want from the product, other, free solutions may be better. And "fix" is a bit of a stretch. I'd be very sceptical of any software that claims it can fix a hardware problem like OP has.

This is informative too: http://www.myharddrivedied.com/blog/why-spinrite-not-my-data-recovery-software-list

Spinrite has it uses, but a cureall for hdd failures isn't one of them. Be sure that it's the best solution for your problem before employing it.

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  7. Sacro

Sacro Groundskeeper

Also, use Crystaldiskinfo if you haven't already. It reads out the S.M.A.R.T status, and while you may get a hardware failure while these values are fine, most often they do show if a HDD is about to fail. It's also worth mentioning that HGST is owned by WD, though they still build different HDDs. Still, if you want to stick with WD, HGST would be an indirect option.

8. Innomine

High Score:
    Yeah I'm not willing to shell out $90usd on the off chance it might fix my HDD.

It's about the same price as a 2TB HDD, so yeah.

9. Delirium

Delirium Fourth Year

I got one of these as my data drive.
    www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145912
    so far so good, and hitachi drives are super reliable. Yes I know its a "NAS drive" and no that hasnt made any difference. I dont remember all the details but this series was not going to give me any problems with using the drive for non-NAS.

Edit: basically get a cheap small capacity ssd (if cost is a problem) for your operating system and select games/programs, and a solid HDD for the rest.