1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Still not sure how I'll build long term. I'm specced into quick attack, light armour (really goot attack % boosts when coupled with Feline set) and igni arm debuff. Starting to go into potion tree now that I realize how op some of the decoctions (sp?) are. I'm using one now that's basically lifesteal and I can spec so I get 1000 vit when I pop it. Poison from oils and higher toxicity to combine pots looks awesome too, especially with quick attack and putting stun runes in my swords (15%, dunno if you can get more than +5% ones yet).

2. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

After 60 hours playtime I do find out that my decision to romance every sorceress I came across might have not been the smartest decision... damn!

3. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Well thankfully there's a respec potion in case you fuck up too badly.

4. Gengar

High Score:
    Yeah, I've got 2 respec pots I've not used yet so I can fuck around with build at higher levels with greater effect.

5. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

No regrets, it was worth it. :fire

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

Yeah... Though I wonder what would happened if I avoided the L-word...

That said I have finished the game (took me ~70 hours) and while I really liked it I expected a little more when it comes to character interactions (especially outside of the quests) and choices with consequences (of which there are very few and only one of them really surprised me). It still is the best RPG I have played in my life but it still is not my dream made real^^.

(I also don't know what impact my previous choices in game two actually had... I am unsure if I messed up my savegame import, missed the relevant quests/people or if there are really one two or three notable mentions of past events(anybody knowing if there is a list where I can check the consequences?)

7. BloodRedSword

BloodRedSword High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

You could cheat that shit. I was level 7 when I killed her. Grind your sword and armor, apply spec oil. Set trap and wait for her to come. Hit her until you are about to die then run like hell.

Once you run to a certain distance she will go back to the fire, enjoy your HP regen via food or swallow potion and go again & again until she is dead. If she do the split ghost thing, RUN! They will disappear once you cross a certain distance. So they can't suck your life.

8. fallenyasar

fallenyasar Squib

Just upgrade your Yrden sign alternate mode to max and it will be a piece of cake.

also this game is fucking glorious . easily the best RPG i have ever played.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    I'm not enjoying any of the novengrad part. Hours of ho-hum story, no interesting fights and no xp despite hours of running around.

I hope there's a good pay off here...

10. Gengar

High Score:
    Yo Clerith, what does Whirl actually do?

Hold down q.attack and spin around on the spot? Are you stationary? What's the range? The resource cost?

I couldn't find my answer on the interwebs. :-/

11. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

"Soon as I woke, I went to empty my bowels - my favorite part of the day. Defecatin' to the sunrise - downright glorious..."

Words to live by, Johnny.

12. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

"What does Whirl actually do."

Whatever the fuck Whirl wants to do, because there isn't anything that can stop Whirl. If Whirl wants to plough the Emperors mother on his desk while the Emperor is busy trying to do paperwork, that's what Whirl does, because Whirl is overpowered as all hell.

Hold attack and you do a big rapid combo while draining stamina, you move forward while doing it and you can steer yourself. It looks very fancy with lots of twirling and flourishing. It's also ridiculously powerful. Aside from the obvious AoE use, it's also pretty powerful against single targets. On account of the fact that it hits so fast the combat log can't keep up, face a swordsman enemy and use it on them when they try to block, you'll tear through their stamina and then tear them apart so fast that the combat log will still be listing off your attacks as you walk away from the cooling, looted, corpse.

Whirl is why there are Potions of Clearance, to save poor misguided souls from their terrible choices, like not skilling Whirl.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Lol. Thank you kindly.

14. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Ya, thanks for that. I've been avoiding it because I expected your typical whirlwind attack.

---

Ok, wanted to see if I'm the only one that does this.

I have a few self-imposed rules when playing the Witcher 3, things like -

Eating every 6 hours, even when I'm at full health. (Probably left over from playing way too much Skyrim with realism mods on)

Selective looting - I never steal:

1. In public, guards or not.
    2. From people who are worse off than me. (Walking through the refugee camp outside Novi made me think of all the players that just robbed them blind)
    3. From truly decent folk.

Death begets death. Geralt is a fairly tolerant dude, if you've read the books you know this. As a witcher he needs to be able to distinguish between monster and monster and treat them accordingly. Sarah is a good example, just scaring people? Fine, cool with that. But if Sarah had killed someone? She's done. Once you cross that line, your life is forfeit.

Ride rather than fast travel, the exception being quests that make you run back and forth like 6 times. (This has really turned into Run rather than Ride, fucking hate Roach...)

Stick to the paths when traveling. Most of the really interesting encounters happen roadside, and as tempting as it is to just run through the wilderness... you tend to miss fairly cool shit.

There are a few more, but it's all minor shit.

Anybody else to anything similar?

---

Also, I'm rich as hell. Everywhere I see people complaining about money and the gold-sink of repairing.

This is the problem with doing sidequests... Even on the hardest difficulty, I'm way overleveled, and have an absurd amount of cash.

15. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Cat said :D

It moves forward, performing a flurry of sword blows. At insane speed and good damage. It can be easy to overshoot your target if you're not careful. But the damage is insane. I can kill admittedly 5 levels lower big monsters in a few seconds with Whirl. It destroys humans, monsters with block can stop you though. But get on their back after an opening, angle your camera right, and do insane damage in a few seconds.

The range is about same as normal attacks, might be a little lower since Geralt doesn't lunge forward. The stamina cost is fairly high, though you'll get like five seconds of whirling with a full bar? Depends on the skill level, higher level costs less to use. If you have a lot of adrenaline skills, you basically don't run out of it with Whirl.

16. Torric

Torric Third Year

Whirl's only real weakness are people who are blocking with shields or 2handed weapons. Little bit annoying but can't have one ability kill all the things for me though right?

17. Quick Ben

Quick Ben In ur docs, stealin ur werds.

I steal from cities mostly and larger villages. Other than that the only thing I can take from a peasant is alcohol powder

18. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Haven't read this thread until now because I'm trying to avoid spoilers, futile though this might be, but...

So, recently got dragged into the witcher hype train (mostly because of this) so I asked around.

Supposedly it'd be good to play Witcher and Witcher 2 first. How true is this? Will I miss a lot if I just go straight to 3? Should I avoid doing that if at all possible?

I'm also told it can be fairly cheap to get the first two games from steam. Now, I don't have a good computer so I'm planning to play Witcher 3 on my PS4. Does it matter that I won't play all three on the same medium? I'm told some data carries over.

As a mostly platform gamer I don't use Steam, though I do have an account. I was told to ask here about Witcher on steam. Supposedly someone might already have it and could give it to me somehow? (I never use steam so I cant navigate it very well) Should I have posted on the Steam thread rather than here?

I'm also told Witcher 1 sucks. Should skip?

But yeah, trying to figure out how to play Witcher and Witcher 2 before buying Witcher 3(or if it's better to just buy Witcher 3 and be done with it).

19. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Witcher is a very established world with very established characters. You're going to miss a lot if you don't play the games. Hell, you'll even miss a decent amount if you haven't read the books. However, the game does okay explaining the important past stuff.

Just had a sale, but the games are pretty cheap yeah. There's an option to carry over data from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2, though it doesn't do much. And again from Witcher 2 to Witcher 3, but in 3, you can choose to emulate save data, meaning you get a questionnaire at one point in the game, letting you pick the major choices you did in Witcher 2. However, if you haven't played Witcher 2, you have no idea what any of that means, so you won't emulate and get the default world setting. So it won't be perfect, but I was content with the way you can pick your choices in 3.

Dunno about the steam gift thing.

Witcher 1 is definitely the weakest Witcher game, but it's still pretty awesome. I think it gets the essence of being a Witcher right the most. The combat is a bit dull though.

If you're hyped, I'd recommend you just play Witcher 3 right now. And if you get really interested about the world and characters, look into the books and previous games.

20. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

What Clerith said. Also, if you're interested in books check Wikipedia if there's full edition in any language that you know. Or learn Polish to get the best version :p