1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362

This is hard. And confusing. Mostly confusing.

So what you're saying is that it will be a worse experience if I don't have context of the previous two games. I knew that, but my question was 'is it bad enough that I really shouldn't do it?'

2. Sn0rkack

Sn0rkack Professor

^

Never played any of the previous games and bought it because of all of the hype and great reviews it was getting. Was I lost with some of the shit going on? Hell yeah. As mentioned before, there's a questionnaire you're asked about characters from the previous games and I was fucking lost - had no idea what they were talking about. All that aside, the game is awesome. Might go back and play the previous games once I'm done with this, but the game is so beautiful I can't really see myself going back to games with dated graphics when a superior product is already out there. Might settle for reading the books.

3. Clerith

Clerith Ahegao Emperor ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What do you usually do when a game you really wanna play has prequels? It always depends on what you prefer to do.

They made the game to be playable as your first game, but since it's set after a book series and two games, of course you're going to miss a crapton of stuff. Is it worth going back to those before? It's so up to you. Do you have the time? I recommended that you start with Witcher 3 because it's the new, hot stuff and the best game, so you can decide if you like the series or not and if the rest are worth going back to.

There are a few videos which basically summarize Geralt's history and what you should know before starting Witcher 3, if you want to go that route.

4. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    That sounds interesting. Have one to suggest?

5. Clerith

High Score:
    ---------- Post automerged 30th May 2015 at 01:54 AM ---------- Previous post was 29th May 2015 at 09:31 PM ----------

God damn this automerge edit copy spoiler fail mess post.

~

Welp, finished the game. Took me 84 hours. Already itching for a second playthrough. Gets a 9.5/10 for me. Really excellent.

Also, just checked out all the possible endings and what leads to them... process is actually surprisingly complex and multi-layered. Luckily I managed to get the (imo) best endings in everything.

Ending spoilers:
    I got the Nilfgaard won, but Temeria is back and people are happy ending, with Ciri becoming a witcher and romance ending with Yen. Felt pretty sweet.

I really liked how involved the endings were with your choices, and especially Ciri's multi-question ending choice. Also, the final boss was super weak against dodging, lol.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  6. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but I have found a rather unusual merchant.

He's in Novigrad, on the Northern cost of the main island, due south of the Electors Square fast travel marker in front of a shack by a pier with a boat docked at it.

He looks like a beggar and is surrounded by glass bottles.

What's so special about him? He sells a couple of hundred bottles, restocking instantly by talking to him again, for one crown each, the same price as other merchants buy them for and speaking of buying... he buys anything you sell him, at full price.

If you've played Morrowind, he's basically the Creeper of Witcher.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  7. Westernesse

Westernesse Muggle

I love Witcher 3 so far. I'm just sad that there won't be a 4th part in the foreseeable future, because the series has really gotten better with every game. It took me a while to beat the witcher 1, back in 2007 cause I kept losing interest in it. Witcher 2 and 3 have been great though. I'm still in act 1 of Witcher 3 and I've likely played over 100 hours. Exploration and side quests are just too engaging to worry about the story!

I believe he is just another npc. The game has a lot of vendors that don't do or sell anything special. More games should do this. I always hate it when you end up at some "grand market place" and only three npcs will actually sell you anything.

8. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Reading up on the Witcher Novels and general storyline whilst not being able to play Witcher 1 or 2 makes me ridiculously biased to romancing Yen.

9. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

The books tend to make this happen to all who reads them, more often than not. Yet, even as someone who can't see Geralt with anyone else but Yennefer, I still find this scene fucking hilarious, if only for Geralt's face at the end. Note, don't click on this spoiler, unless you, y'know, want to get spoiled:

[​IMG]

Also, best song: Priscilla's song

10. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've read none of the books and barely played the first two enough to be considered anything but casual.

I still picked Yen almost immediately.

Posh chicks dudes, what more can I say?

11. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So is it better to sleep with every woman who crosses your path or stay true to your intended romance?

12. Clerith

High Score:
    Geralt is a manwhore. It's fine to sleep around. Just don't try to actually romance Yen and Triss at the same time.

13. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Oh don't misunderstand, fuck around all you want, don't fucking kid yourself into thinking Yennefer was staying chaste in your absence (if that's who's your intended romance).

Just don't make the mistake of telling both of them that you love them.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    Nope. Nope! Nopenopenope. Lies!

15. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

What? Which part do you think are lies?

16. Gengar

High Score:
    First part. Lies. Why would you lie like that?

17. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Lie about Yennefer not staying chaste? Well, if you only think back to Witcher 2, Letho tells you how she tried to fuck those other 2 witchers of the Viper School that were with him when they came across her. Also, presuming her characterization stayed true to the books, it's been known to happen, quite often, which drove Geralt to despair at times and in turn he indulged in some man-slutting of his own.

18. Gengar

High Score:
    Book don't exist and hearsay doesn't matter.

You keep your 'canon' to yourself.

I did read she used to be a hunchback on the wiki, which was amusing.

19. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Yep, Geralt found that out by simply looking to her eyes (something how he'd seen that kind of look in hunchbacks before), and then promptly started doing an internal monologue of "Don't think about her being a hunchback" because she might find out and kill him.

20. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

So I'm a bit hesitant about getting this game. I'm not saying so because I don't think the game is awesome, I'm saying so because the first Witcher game felt like 'Ehh...' to me, I powered through it because I wanted to try out The Witcher 2 and that game looked great. I didn't think the Witcher was my type of game. I liked The Witcher 2 quite a bit better, but honestly...I haven't played it in over 2 years because I got sidetracked by a bunch of other games.

So I tried to get back into where I was after 2 years of not playing and I cannot find the player controls anywhere with the game. So even if I want to play the game to get a feel of The Witcher 3 I simply don't know how to actually play the game again without starting a new game.

Would you guys recommend beating The Witcher 2 to learn more about 3 or is 3 not judgmental about that?