1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

The Witcher video games

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Jibril, Oct 26, 2007.

?

What do you think about The Witcher video game?

1. I am no man. I am Witcher - (you are a Pole or you are Andrzej Sapkowski fanatic)

89 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. This game is good.

110 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Just another RPG.

18 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Meh.

25 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

That's because they're in the launch menu, before you launch the game itself.

That is, if we're talking about The Witcher 2.

They made it so you can play the third game without playing any of the other two. Sure, some stuff transfers over if you have the saves, but overall, it's not a big thing.

If you're not in the mood to play the previous games, just go for the third one.

2. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

Again, I haven't played it over 2 years so I'm pretty out of tune with the game, haha. Still thanks for the help.

I dunno, kinda thinking about it. If I do buy it it'll be because of a Steam sale or something.

3. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

You could always pirate first and try it out, then wait for a sale and buy it if you like it.

4. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I really, really tried to blow through the second one, but couldn't resist the allure of 3 after reading reviews and watching gameplay videos. Don't feel like I've really missed anything that a quick trip to the book wiki couldn't tell me, and even then that's rare.

5. Crimson13

Crimson13 Professor

That's actually how I operate. I remember seeing something about how someone wanted to pirate The Witcher 2 and got roasted for, haha.

6. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

You can play the Witcher 3 without having any knowledge of the books or the previous games just fine and will still be a good, perhaps even great, game but the Witcher series truly shines when you know the characters and places you talk to or visit. It simply adds so much to the game when instead of meeting Yen or Triss for the first time you meet an old friend.

For example: Hugplx found Novigrad boring while it is full of characters, plots and places that have appeared in the books or previous games.

7. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

Mhh. I wonder if I would have appreciated the games better if I had read the books.

iirc the books were written in polish. Anyone knows if there are decent translated versions in English?

8. Erandil

Erandil Minister of Magic

There is the official translation though I have no idea how good it is (I have only read the German translation)

9. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

The difference between playing the prior games and not is best emphasized during—

The mission where you have to help Triss escape Novigrad with all her mage buddies, and you have to choose between telling her you love her, or letting her lead the mages, who wouldn't survive without her leadership.

If you didn't have prior attachment to the character it would be an easy decision, but for me it was especially hard since I had prior attachment.

10. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got The Last Wish and The Blood of Elves in English. They're pretty good, I thought. I think a few more have been translated since I bought those.

11. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Can confirm.

I can also say she didn't endear herself to me by getting drunk and making me chase her down in a maze.

'Geeeeeraaalt...'

Ugh

12. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I was only disappointed when she wasn't naked when I found her again. Needed a stronger drink I guess.

13. Gengar

High Score:
    Anyone else utterly amazed/ bewildered by the 'CDPR are racist' stories/ arguments flying around the internet all of a sudden?

It seems to have some roots in Polygon (shock horror) and Twitter, but I obviously don't read them or generally follow people who would spout such. I only came across it when I stumbled upon this blogpost by Polish dev Adrian Chmielarz.

14. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Yep, I saw some faggot try and claim how Slavic mythology isn't really a thing.

15. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

Basically SJW being standard reatrds. Nothing to see here.

And that faggot that claimed that Slavic mytholgoy is, well... a myth is unfortunetly a product of Polish fucked up educational system in regards to history.

16. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I would just ask all people complaining about lack of diversity in The Witcher why they don't do the same about many Japanese games where you have no non-Asian characters. Why it's fine for them to keep within their cultural and social circle, but not fine for Polish developers? I'm genuinely curious what answer they could give other than 'because Japanese people aren't white'. Heck, if it's a good one they may even convince me that they're right about their complains.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    I just find it utterly bizarre. You'll be hard pressed to find many more oppressed than the Poles, and if there are, they're certainly not the ones complaining...

18. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Don't bother looking into this. No, seriously, don't.

These people want 'diversity' for the sake of it, they don't give a shit if it feels out of place in the game's setting, they don't care about anything else but appearances.

If they really gave a shit, they'd have started making their own games ages ago.

Let's not pollute a Witcher thread any further with these cunts, they're not worth it.

19. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So... what exactly happens if you try to two-time two incredibly powerful sorceresses? Out of pure curiosity, mind.

Also, how many of you killed Karadin and how many spared him? Did you buy his bul- story?

20. Gengar

High Score:
    I've been told it's really realistic, and you end up
    with Rosie Palmer and her five sisters at the end

Oh, and I killed him.