1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2015

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, May 27, 2015.

1. Fenraellis

Fenraellis Chief Warlock

A little bit over 1.36 right now. It should easily hit 2 million before I have to get up in around 5 hours, at this rate.

The real question is how quickly it will slow down, and how much it actually gets by the end of the 1-month time frame.

2. The Great Pandemonium

The Great Pandemonium Fourth Year

You're probably thinking of Kingdom Hearts 3, that's Unreal 4 now.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hmm, I think you're right.

4. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I never played the Shenmue games. What's so special about them?

5. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

Talk of an FF7 remake is nothing new and as much as I enjoyed FF7, I've never really cared when it didn't happen, if I wanted to play FF7 more I'd do so, fancy remake isn't going to change that.

At least, that's what I thought and I thought wrong, so hyped.

6. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I catch shit for this every time I say it... but I think FF7 is overrated as hell.

I get that you guys are happy, and I'm happy for you, really.

I played FF7 shortly after it was released (and multiple times since), and yeah I thought that it was great. Looking at it now, I recognize it as a good game, but I don't think it's nearly as exceptional as everyone makes it out to be. 17 years after first playing it I only feel a bit of nostalgia, and the level of excitement for a remake just isn't there for me.

This is one of those things that people have been asking for for so long, that now that it's finally here... I don't think people know what to do. Same thing with Half Life 3, when it finally releases I feel like there will be this sense of "Ok, now what?"

Regardless, back to my belief that FF7 is overrated. I've always felt that FF7's fanbase was largely comprised of people for whom it was their first RPG. As such there's this sense of nostalgia and wonder about that experience that's stayed with them to this day, despite the fact that 80-90% of them probably haven't touched the game again since their first playthrough.

However the game eventually turns out, I don't think that even half of the fanbase is going to be pleased with the end result.

On one hand it will be too similar to the original, same dialogue and mechanics, with updated graphics. In this case, the true FF7 fans will probably be pleased to no end (Ignoring the obvious and inevitable detractors and purists) while the people who only remember FF7 fondly will look at it and realize just how dated it is, this isn't how they remember it... was it always like this?

Then there's the second option: The game will change drastically, different mechanics, new dialogue (perhaps even voiced), updated graphics, the whole shebang. And the purists and diehards will rage because it isn't the game that they love. On the other hand the people who only remember FF7 fondly will love it, it's an easily accessible, gorgeous version of the game they 'love' and have kept in their hearts all these years, despite the fact that it looks and plays fuck all like the original.

Then again, that's just me.

/rant.

7. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Staying far away from Final Fantasy, not my type of game at all unfortunately.

That's based off The Remastered FFX(?) For the PS though, so is that the worst FF game ever or is FF basically just like that? I will admit FFV looked good in the trailer/gameplay when I've seen it.

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The Rise of the Tomb Raider, Persona 5, the new Star Wars Battlefront, Uncharted 4 are the things I am looking forward to.

The new Fallout, the new Mass Effect and the new Kingdom Hearts seem fun as well.

9. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Missed ME announcement. Link?

10. Dr. Strange Lulz

Dr. Strange Lulz Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Trailer

Literally all it was. It headed off the EA show, no announcement or anything. Just that.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

It still gave me a boner.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Always weird to meet people who aren't massive FF7 nostalgiafags.

I'll admit that FFX hasn't aged all that well, but if the remaster wasn't your thing, there's not much point getting into the earlier titles. The gameplay is pretty similar. Storywise... they're all different, but there are a lot of common threads that will make them feel the same. I suspect the only one you might enjoy is FF8, what with the more mature themes and all.

You might enjoy FF12. Combat is totally different. Uses gambits rather than turn-based. Also, Fran's butt. Fran's butt wins everything.

You might even be one of those dudes who likes the FF13 trilogy. I find this to be the case with a lot of younger players. They dislike the earlier titles but love 13... which is weird to me... because with the exception of Lightning Returns, they are pretty shitty.

15 is changing everything though, so you might just stick with that.

Edit2: i probably should have asked what you dislike about 10 before reccing anything.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  13. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Tidus's character if you can even call him that just pisses me off for reasons, the voice actor is absolutely appalling as well.

Combat's decent, gameplay in general is ok, but I can't enjoy it. It's just a giant pile of meh.

14. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It was given that if Matt and Trey make a new game it will be about Coon and Friends but I thought they decided that they will never ever make another game, because it was so hard to make. I was surprised, then I got a boner. South Park Fractured but Whole. My anus is ready.

15. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Oh that. Yeah it's not you. Everybody hates Tidus.

I'd say avoid all the games that employ similarly peppy MCs.

Try 7 and 8. And maybe 13 if you feel like living dangerously.

16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've never really understood the depths of Tidus Hate. I mean, is he annoying on a fairly frequent basis? Yeah. But not so much that I loathe him with the power of my immortal soul, like it seems so many others do.

[Waifu Moment]

But then, it's possible I was just blinded by Yuna and everything else sort of faded into the background. Just. So. Perfect.

[/Waifu Moment]

Also, All the FFXIII games are shit. The first was alright once it opened up, but having to suffer through Hope's whiny bitching and watching Lightning coddle his little cunt self was so painful I would walk out of the room every time he looked to be gearing up for yet another Emo Scene of Pain.

Honestly, one of my favorites was FFXII. Ashe was pretty cool, Vaan didn't annoy, SkyPirateMan was awesome, and the story was great, if a bit odd even by Final Fantasy standards.

I honestly don't care which route they take when it comes to the FFVII remake, so long as it captures the essence of the original I'm not particular about details.

So, has Disney/Lucasarts revealed their VR Star Wars project, yet?

Fucking ME4, FUCK YEAH. I can't wait to play all this shit on the Oculus Rift come Holiday 2016, because Fuck Consoles.

[​IMG]

Battlefront is going to damage my life in measurable fashions if it's any good, just watch.

Never was able to really get into the Fallout series. The more Sandbox a game is, generally the less I like it. The only exception being Red Dead Redemption.

17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

Really? I remembered wrong the gameplay then. I'm really happy for all FF fans, but while I admire FFVII story as probably the first great one, I never liked FF combat, a shame really because they seem to be great games, and FF12 was by quite a bit the most beautiful game in the PS2. Gorgeous to look, specially the wetlands.

God's truth. God's spoken truth brother. They even made her strut like a model just to show how much better it was. It took Catwoman from the Batman games in the PS3 to find an ass that could compete with her's.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Yeah 12 is one of my favorite all-time games, despite how much I disliked Vaan and Penelo. I rec it to everyone. Figuring out how to effectively use the gambit system was awesome.

Also...

How many hours did my pervy 16 year old self spend just slowly walking around the cities watching Fran's hips sway? Answer: a lot of hours.

19. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ubi put on a good show, though Jason Derulo was a serious WTF moment. He's mostly known for a shitty ass song, but in the spirit of full disclosure, Trumpets is a guilty pleasure. For Honor looked pretty good. The Division, I'm skeptical. When the Ghost Recon open-world demo played, I kept thinking of Just Cause. In fact, it seems to me like they were trying to emulate it a little bit, but what do I know.

EA... is EA. One short teaser for ME:A, lots of Star Wars and whole lot of EA Sports stuff I couldn't give less of a shit about if my colon was sewn shut. NFS looked ungodly. If the game looks half as good as that demo, it'll be beautiful.

MS, fucking lol. Backwards compatibility, good. "We won't charge you to play games you already own". Wow, really? How fucking generous of you. When Spencer rolled out that line I was thinking "why the fuck is the audience applauding this?" It's like he said "I won't come into your house and take a shit in the middle of the floor."

As for Bethesda, the F4 reveal was solid, though it was plainly visible that it was their first show. Still, a good effort.

I've yet to watch Sony's show. Be back later.

20. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Never got into any of the FF games, don't care about sports ones that aren't FIFA, Battlefront + Fallout 4 makes November a very expensive month, and I really need to play the Mass Effect series apparently. Come on, Steam sale.