1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2015

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, May 27, 2015.

1. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Heh, still 31 days to go on Kickstarter. I wonder if they'll add a few more tiers of stretch goals.

Since I didn't play the original games, I've been watching a Let's Play on YouTube of Shenmue, and will soon do the same for Shenmue 2. Looks like a cool, immersive pair of games. I wonder how this style of gameplay will translate to a modern game. Probably pretty awesome.

2. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    You should. They're definitely childish, but I wouldn't say the target demographic audience is children. More like they're targeting the child in all of us (because Disney is so good at that shit).

Yes, it's all about friendships and the powers of good vs evil, love vs hate, chaos vs order, light vs dark. Typical kiddy fare. Everything is very black and white. But it's so stylized and fun, you don't even notice. Your inner child is just having the time of its life waltzing through Disney settings and beating up heartless with a giant fucking key in gorgeously perfect, surprisingly nuanced combat.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Sephiroth on expert is still the most exhilarating gaming experience of my childhood.

4. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Oh my god yes.

BTWs, sechrima, if you're just starting out, get the HD remixes so you can play Birth by Sleep, which despite being originally portable, is an absolutely amazeballs game.

5. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    I did indeed mean local.

6. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Heh, I know exactly what you mean.

Nostalgia has been a major theme for me this E3.

I have fond memories of playing Doom as a kid, when before that the most violent game I'd seen was probably Lemmings. So I am definitely looking forward to the Doom reboot. I just wish they'd gone with a metal soundtrack like the original.

And ultimately, Star Wars was my childhood. The Empire Strikes Back was the first Star Wars film I ever saw. I was 7-years-old, it was a humid Queensland night, and I can still clearly remember everything, even the TV commercials. Then in the late 90s, going to the remastered cinema screenings of the original trilogy - whatever criticism can be levelled against Lucas for his 'revisions', I'm just happy I got to see those films on the big screen. Now all this Battlefront footage on Hoth has got me really hyped up.

7. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    It saddens me something fierce that Battlefront probably won't include episodes 1-3. I always liked Republic/CIS much better than Rebels/Empire.

8. Gengar

High Score:
    Different kinds of war. Original prequels seem more guerilla warfare while prequels are more traditional, large scale warfare.

The latter would make a more fun game imo.

9. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    You misunderstand. Battlefront 1 and 2 had Empire/Rebels and Republic/CIS, but they were essentially the same game mode, just with different factions. And I always preffered the latter to the former.

True, canonically the two eras were vastly different, but this is Battlefront. Rebels need to be on equal footing with the Empire in terms of battle for the game to be balanced. That's fine, however much it goes against canon.

10. Gengar

High Score:
    I changed my mind, lol. Large scale warfare would make for better multiplayer, but I think I'd prefer single player to be imbalanced against the player.

I dunno. I don't remember the originals anyways.

11. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

It is a shame. Maybe future DLC? Probably unlikely, though.

For me, the Republic/CIS isn't as good as the Empire/Rebellion, but I think it largely depends on which films you watched first and enjoyed most. Although, modern graphics and filmmaking techniques aside, I don't see what in the prequels can compare to the Death Star assault in Episode IV (just in terms of the sheer scope of that undertaking), or Vader's revelation to Luke in Episode V, or Vader's redemption and the death of Palpatine in Episode VI. Luke's Jedi training under Yoda also gave us more insights into the Force and the Jedi than anything in the prequels, which presented those things in a very straightforward and blunt manner. For instance, that cave scene on Dagobah... nothing was spelled out, but plenty was implied, which is how a mystical thing like the Force really should be depicted. For me at least, the prequels never gave me the feels quite like the original trilogy did. Also, the Spaghetti Western vibe of A New Hope was completely missing, which I found disappointing.

12. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Its not so much about the movies or the plot itself. Honestly? The Republic army and fleet is just dozens of times cooler than the Rebels'. I like the Mon Cal Cruisers as much as the next guy, but those Venators, man.

The Clone Army was, similarly, dozens of times cooler than the ragtag group of guerilla fighters that the Rebels fielded, and (imo) a few notches above the Imperials, as well.

Mostly, what tips the scales towards Republic era rather than Imperial era is the fact that the Rebels just don't do it for me, while the Republic strikes all the right cords.

Hell, my username (originally republic21) was conceived when attempting to play Empire At War online.
    Edit: I had no problem playing Space Battles as Rebels, but I absolutely loathed Ground Battles with them. Their ground units are just too meh.

13. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Well, yeah, the Rebels aren't going to win any fashion awards. They do look fairly plain and boring in comparison to the Republic's armies. But the droid armies aren't very interesting to look at either, since they're all identical robots.

As for the Republic vs. the Empire in terms of aesthetics... I favour the Empire. Spartan, austere, stark, and cold, just as they should be. A fascist palette of white, black, and red. The Star Destroyers of the Empire look like sleek daggers in the void, and then there's the Executor, which blows away anything Republic-era in its deadly grandeur. TIE pilots and the crimson-robed Imperial Guard both look amazing. And personally I love the unconventional shape of the TIE Fighter and its variants. I wasn't such a fan of the prequels' fighter crafts, they just seemed too generic in form.

But really, it's all personal taste.

14. Gengar

High Score:
    As opposed to the wildly varying Stormtroopers? :p

15. Gengar

High Score:
  16. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Autism intensifies.

17. Gengar

High Score:
    Been reading up on Last Guardian. Obviously. There's apparently more to the demo before what we saw on stage being shown behind closed doors. They also revealed the setting of the game (I can't remember where I read this, I'm going through so many websites these past few days...)

So, you and Dogbird are supposed to be prisoners at the crumbly, ruin-y place, both strangers that meet there. You break out of prison and you break out Dogbird after it then proceed to escape together. Sounds mysterious and cool.

What I've been thinking - since seeing the re-reveal, as it's all I can fucking think about - is that Dogbird, despite its size, looks like a... puppy/ chick (?). I'm pretty much basing that entirely on its mannerisms and the size of its wings.

I'm probably reading way too much into it and am equally off base, but I bet Dogbird's parents feature towards the end of the game.

Dunno why I shared this, it's just been buzzing around in my head since yesterday, lol. Had to get it out.

18. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

FFVII trailer looked damn good.

Horizon and Bethesda captured me the most though. Of course Fire Emblem is a must buy for 3DS alongside the next Ace Attorney Game which looks like it'll be fantastic.

Most anticipated over the next few years for me goes:
    Mass Effect
    Dishonored 2
    Fire Emblem Fates
    Persona 5
    Fallout 4

19. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Well, we know their gear varies significantly based on environment. The armour of the stormtroopers on Hoth and Endor looked quite distinct from the standard space-faring set. And the desert stormtroopers stationed on Tatooine also had customised armour, not to mention their dewback mounts.

And as we'll no doubt see in the upcoming sequel trilogy, there's going to be more variations of Imperial stormtrooper, such as those chrome-armoured types.

Anyway, the Empire is the best. Deep down, you know it to be true.

[​IMG]

20. Republic

High Score:
    4495+2362
    Hey, screw you. The Droidekas are awesome.