1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

E3 2015

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by KHAAAAAAAN!!, May 27, 2015.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ok, was skeptical in the past. Now you've actually made me quite excited.

What you've described is basically exactly what I was hoping to get from Star Citizen. Combat doesn't interest me, I want to explore.

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Oh? you're playing E : D as well? Shezza and I are hit us up if you want to roll sometime.

3. Krieger

Krieger Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Source

Considering the high detail of the graphics in previews we have seen, with the variety that is on offer, even if limited to a degree, that alone gets me hyped up.

4. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Might do that. Haven't done anything other than solo play yet, currently grinding for my imperial hammer. Fucking time requirements annoying.

5. Gengar

High Score:
    On to other games. The SF5 stuff has got me hyped for a fighting game more than anything has since SF2.

I definitely just bought SF4 on PS4 and a $250 fight stick in preparation and to get back into fighting games... T_T

6. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

I'll probably wait for a later, more complete version of SFV before I buy it.

7. Republic

Republic The Snow Queen –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    4495+2362
    So basically we can choose a corner of the Galaxy, roll up a DLP flag and start building stuff?

Or is the game limited to exploration only?

8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I do hope there's a little more to the game than just 'fly around and discover stuff'. While the scope aspect is awe inspiring.... I feel like it would get crazy boring after a while if there is nothing else to do.

9. Gengar

High Score:
    The game is not for you.

It's not minecraft, though you can see where it takes inspiration from it. You don't build bases, get quests or follow a narrative.

Check out Tomorrow Children for your DLP base building communist paradise. It's out fall.

10. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Well, that's a shame. Not so much that I'm disappointed by a lack of base building... but it seems a real waste to create a massive, beautiful universe, give a gamer freedom to go anywhere and do anything they want, then not give them any systems to support their freewheeling craft-your-own adventure beyond a simplistic 'safari mode'.

11. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Like he said, it's not for you.

There's something truly special about jumping into a system 17 light years away and finding that no one has explored it yet. I've seen binary star systems that made me just stare in amazement for a few seconds. It's a game for people who can appreciate simple things like exploring and finding new things.

12. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    Make no mistake, I'm probably going to buy it on release day. I will enjoy the shit out of it for a while... but I know that without more than just exploration to hold my attention, for me personally, the novelty and enjoyment factor will definitely wear off.

It will be interesting to see if the game ends up being a financial success, and how the company manages the colossal amount of data that is going to have to be stored on their servers after people start discovering stuff.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What Khan said, basically. When I played Minecraft, I liked exploring as much as the next guy, but exploration alone does not a game make. Looking at pretty things will only hold my attention for so long.

14. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Of course it does. Ninety percent of the hype for NMS is because people want to get out there and see everything the devs put into the procedural generator. The other ten percent is people who don't know what the game actually is and are expecting a new Mass Effect or something silly like that.

Some people don't need a driven plot to enjoy themselves in a game. Some people don't even need a story. They can make it themselves.

15. Gengar

High Score:
    I just want a sexy ship and to fill my Galadex

16. Darth Disaster

Darth Disaster The Waking Sith ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    No, you want Star Citizen for that.

There may be other options out there which are better for those purposes, but I'm not enough of a Space-Sim aficionado to know about them, yet.

17. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    No Man's Sky hits on all the right notes for me.

The idea of visiting a near infinite number of worlds, possibly running into something to blow up along the way is easily the coolest idea for a game I've ever known. Just the idea of terraforming a world someone could actually come to and see is awesome. pgrading weapons and ships has me excited too. It is, behind the obvious two Final Fantasy games and possibly Phantom Pain, the game I'm looking most forward to.

18. KHAAAAAAAN!!

High Score:
    No one said anything about plot or story, Menace. In fact I think any form of cohesive plot actively detracts from the idea of free exploration.

All we're talking about is that it would be cool to have a little more to do than run around and look at shit. A resource collection / building function is just one such system. There's so much they could do with this game, and the fact that they're not trying to do anything else besides exploration strikes me as a missed opportunity and then some.

Like how cool would it be if there were procedurally generated boss monsters defending some of the planets you're discovering? Or maybe a bounty hunter function where you could track down dangerous life forms scattered throughout the universe?

19. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

I may be way off the mark here, but.

20. Wynter

Wynter Order Member

Menace, that Dance thing in your sig is so distracting. I can't stop watching and for that I am ashamed.