1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Naruto Mafia

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Fluffiness, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Titus

Titus Squib

It's what I have been telling you. Every player posts has a perspective.

"I am XYZ and my role is ASDF."

Certain players will want to rolehunt other players. Naturo has the acolyte. The neighborizer has Jin and the acolyte (if my plan), but is generally townhunting in general, just to name a couple. The vig wants to look for scum. By being more explicit about these, scum can track who follows "the accepted pattern". I feel the most protown thing I can do is prevent an expected pattern from roles from forming so that scum cannot track this.

If there's a debate, Player X states that Naturo should check scummy players, then a player who about faces on someone they read as scummy is a strong suggestion of Naturo. Each role has these "scenarios" built into it. It's how I rolehunt... and rolehunting is the SHITTIEST part of my scum game.

2. Quiddity

Quiddity Squib ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Not caught up, and going offline. (btw)

---------- Post automerged at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

Just think about this, and consider its value to the game. I've written earlier about my problems with a focus on setup, and I don't have time to restate them, but just reconsider this that you yourself stated. How worthwhile is this and how relevant is it to the game if you consider it solely in the theoretical? And if you look at the practical, than blahblahblah fake!Riddler and splat you die.

Not to mention that it distracts from the focus of the game, can be used by scum to skate along/appear contributory, and fill the thread with non-useful content (filler).

3. Atum

Atum DA Member DLP Supporter

You've got balls because experienced players on this site have stated repeatedly to stop talking setup and have insinuated that it's a scummy thing to do and yet you persist, despite your newb status.

But anyway, we're probably not going to find scum mechanically for a while, if ever, and we probably won't win that way -- as you yourself have pointed out, the scum team has a pretty decent role advantage given the number of town one-shots and such. So we tend to rely on post analysis or VCA or PoE or unaligned pairs, etc to determine alignment. Setup speculation, as has been mentioned, is relatively null, unless you're of the opinion that it's used by scum to appear useful in thread while distracting from scumhunting. In which case it's a pretty easy trap for newb!scum to fall into and thus a nice way for town to catch them early on.

And I think massclaiming is boring in forum mafia anyway.

Jan, you can have my reads when I'm good and ready to give them, or alternatively when you ask nicely.

4. Titus

Titus Squib

Strong town

2. Citrus
    5. Zenzao
    7. Atum
    8. The Waco Kid
    14. Titus
    15. Qgqqqqq

Weak town
    10. fontisian
    12. Newcomb

Let's see how right I am. Shall we? Anyone disagree with these reads?

---------- Post automerged at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Sorry forgot to take out a couple @signs.

5. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Look, I'm not going to just accept "shut up, we know best" as a legitimate reason not to do something. When I first started talking about it, the reasons people gave not to do it didn't make all that much logical sense to me. I'm willing to attribute most, if not all of that lack of understanding to my own inexperience with the game, but at the end of the day, all I've really got is my brain, you know?

MathBlade's recent post warning me off it is the first time I've felt like I've really grasped the argument, and it's a tentative grasp at that. So yeah, holding off for now. I guess we have an entire week, so we can always come back to it.

6. Titus

Titus Squib

What do you think of the reads in 224?

Also, Mathblade just rehashed my communications since the start. #frustration

7. Newcomb

Is that directed at me specifically, or is it a general question?

8. Titus

Titus Squib

To you.

Also, I'm debating moving you up. I've had the same spit fire when I didn't get things either as town. Could be coached but meh... heavily leaning town.

9. Newcomb

Citrus hasn't made an impression on me. Null for me.

I liked Zenzao at first, but it felt like he was buddying me a bit early, and that same feeling popped up again when he jumped on the same TMNT phrase I did. I don't really know what to make of this Zenzao/MathBlade thing. I have him as slight town in my book.

I agree with Atum as strong town. I felt #124 was something a townie would pick up on / pay attention to.

The Waco Kid hasn't made an impression on me. Null.

Qgqqqqq I have as town mainly due to the transparency of his thought process and the way he's tried to engage me. I had a paranoid moment where I felt like it was almost TMI and he knew he was talking to town, but I think I've moved past that.

I have fonti as town mainly for the same reasons as Qgqqqqq, but fonti strikes me as the kind of player who'd be very capable of making posts like that as a wolf. I think calling her "weak town" is about where I am with her.

That leaves you and me.

I'd obviously encourage you to move me up to strong town, but meh, whatever. As long as I'm not fucking up too badly I'm more comfortable kind of Kool-Aid Man'ing my way through this thread rather than sitting back and learning by observing.

You, I really don't know. I'll be honest, I have you as scum right now, because so many of your posts are not transparent to me. I feel like you're kind of playing your own game. If that's just your game, then /shrug. In my prep for this game, I read a couple games on PoG. The ones that the town won, they won by making a town circle and working things out methodically and transparently. I feel like you're doing the opposite, being curt and obscure. When so many of your posts make me think, "wtf was this person thinking when they wrote that," I just think, don't overthink it, probably scum.

---------- Post automerged at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Like your reads list is a classic example. Just a list of names with no real explanation or rational behind them. I don't like the fact that you're just putting it out there and you're like, "react to this."

10. Atum

I'm not telling you to stop, I'm explaining why you're getting the responses you've received thus far. To be honest, I don't really care, and you're not getting lynched today anyway so I don't see much harm in it. But take the advice posted about being wary of rolehunting into consideration.

Titus, please explain your townreads on Citrus and Waco.

11. Titus

Titus Squib

Citrus is a townread because I can relate to his frustration. There's a feeling in his post of "this game is bassackwards". He's townreading me which isn't normal and he's attempting to draw things out of people, even if he doesn't understand them.

Waco is more of an odd synergy. His RVS wall was ninjaed by my statements about this not being RVS. He went into more detail but the recoil back to RVS was not warranted at all.

Newcomb, as long as you're talking to me about setup, you'll never get that transparent feeling. Engage me on reads, and you should.

I wanted to draw you back into talking about the game. I figured showing my clear stances would be a good place to draw you in. I like the fact, despite the disagreement in the setup spec and its role, that your reads are largely aligned with mine. That gives me more confidence that your "I'm just as important as everyone else, don't you dare try to shut me up" vibe is legit. I've reacted the same way frequently if I felt belitted.

Fonti and Citrus have a history of going after each other, and I wanted to nip that in the bud.

If we can get a strong town block full of town, and be right, then no setup can actually counter that unless we start claiming.

12. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Mmmkay, back in my room to give the rest of my group time to regroup for a bit. Gonna try to make sure I caught everything while I was checking on the thread through the day, then respond to as much as I can before we're off for a bit. Unless I have way too much to drink, I'll certainly finish up anything that needs my attention before I go to bed. Apologies for how things have been so far; both the start time of this game and the Vegas trip were fairly unexpected. Things will be better by Thursday evening when I get home, Friday morning at the latest.

13. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

This is the kind of things you want to be looking for.

As for the role talk thing that's been going on for a while, I'll try and wrap it up. I'm a newer player so hopefully I can put it out there in a way that makes a bit more sense.

1) Role talk is inherently neutral. As in, anyone could post factually correct information, and it gives no indication if they are town or scum. This is anti-town because it's time that's not being dedicated to finding scum, and allows scum players to insert themselves as prominent voices in town with less scrutiny.

2) As town you want discussion to find things like you just pointed out. These things may not be apparent immediately, but town wants these reads and opinions out there so that we can come back to them later and consider Vote analysis, thought progression, and see if peoples actions match their reads. Nobody expects to solve the game in the first Day (unless your name is Irene), but the goal is to create as large of a pool of information as possible, so it can be built upon on later Days.

3) It's very easy to let personally bias slip into your plan analysis potentially revealling you role. Additionally, say players 1-5 suggest how role x should be used, and the role ends up being played like player 3 suggested. What would that indicate potentially. In a game with Soup especially, you don't want to take those risks.

---------- Post automerged at 12:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:39 AM ----------

Titus: What "RVS wall" are you referring to??

Also for your plan in #171, it's real nice. Do you have a plan for World Peace too?

Fontisian: If you were planning on coming out of the gates strong to re-assure people you were town after Endgames & the Championship Game 6, mission not accomplished.

14. Atum

What about this makes him town? And what wall are you talking about, because I'm not seeing one in his ISO.

15. Titus

Titus Squib

133 and 135 are the posts where Waco gets Ninjaed and his last post is his synergistic wall.

---------- Post automerged at 10:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Blah my thoughts ran together. It implies he walled about RVS...blah.

16. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

In what universe was that an "RVS wall" I literally say in #135 "We're not in RVS" as a response to Xanidel....

---------- Post automerged at 01:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 AM ----------

And my post was like 3 sentances

---------- Post automerged at 01:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 AM ----------

TMNT: You've yet to do anything to redeem yourself. While I'm not going to be the 6th(?) vote on you at this point, please be aware that I am willing to vote you.

Kalas: Your signature is the only match for Atum's, let's see it, (but seriously would like to hear from you).

---------- Post automerged at 01:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

EBWOP: Yet to do anything to redeem yourself from where I had you in #66

17. Titus

Titus Squib

You missed the auto merge.

18. Banks

Banks Muggle

I'm catching up basically just had a really weird day at work like mid way catch up. I'm off work tomorrow I am going to catch up then and get into the game for good might show back up later.

I saw newcomb asked me something about the game 6 feel free to ask about that game if you would like to.

I have read no more than 80 of the posts up to this point just looked at my notifications selfishly. Be around more tomorrow.

Pozzai ping.

19. Waco Kid

Waco Kid Groundskeeper

And you missed the 1st merge of my post, #135 certainly wasn't a wall, it's was a couple of lines

---------- Post automerged at 01:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 AM ----------

Anyway, I'm calling it a night, later

20. Pozzai

Pozzai Muggle