1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Plot bunny that won't go away

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Aekiel, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As you probably know by now, I am an avid fan of the Discworld novels by Terry Pratchett and that the gods in said novels are many and varied. One of my favourite gods is commonly known as Lady Luck, who is described as being apparently beautiful and with startling, green eyes.

See where I'm going here?

Now I know not many people like the whole, descended from a god/goddess theme but considering its this goddess, I think it could add an extra dimension to why Harry always survives improbable situations. Anyways, its been hanging around in my head ever since I read the Color of Magic again a few weeks ago.

Just getting it out of my head, flame me if you will.

2. The Dark Lord Squash

The Dark Lord Squash Denarii Host

I have not read this series before so would you mind giving a little info about it and maybe you idea?

3. Vendo

Vendo Fourth Year

I agree with this statment

4. Aekiel

High Score:
    The Discworld series is a collection of 35 stories set on a fictional world by Terry Pratchett. A disc, supported by 4 giant elephants, on the back of a huge space turtle, Great A'Tuin. It is[/] a disc, as in frisbee shaped. Adventurous sailors who want to question old tradtions will find the the horizon is considerably nearer, and much more sudden than on a normal planet. It is a world where if a ship looks to be falling off the edge of the world, it probably is (sorry, couldn't resist putting a quote in there :p).

More on the subject matter, the gods of Discworld live on a ten mile high mountain at the 'Hub', the centre of the disc, called Dunmanifestin. There are lots of gods, from Blind Io, chief of the Gods, to Offler the Crocodile God. The goddess I'm refering to is known as "the Lady" on the disc, we would call her Lady Luck. She likes to play games and is possibly the most powerful of the Gods, who base their power on how many people believe in them.

Gods can take human form, but they are generally difficult to remember, apart from their eyes, which bely their true nature. The Lady's eyes are completely green with no pupil or iris. I figured that since Harry's eyes are talked about so much, there could be a logical reason for it. Even if it does involve him being descended from a goddess on a different world... Hey, if the anthropomophic personification of Time can have a kid, Lady Luck can too.

If you want more detail read these articles on wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_Gods
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discworld_Gods#The_Lady

5. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Hm. I think someone was planning a crossover of these awhile ago. I dunno if they went through with it or not.

6. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Something similar was used by Rorschach's Blot in "Make a Wish" and "The Hunt for Harry Potter". Harry is the favored child of two seperate Luck Goddesses (Tyche and Nemisis). Other dieties and mythical figures have favored children as well most notably Cassandra (touched by Apollo) spawned a whole brood of shopkeepers who know too much, Hermione is favored of Athena, and the Lovegood family take after Luna/Selene seeing the unseen and to drift in and out of other worlds.

Harry's luck is neither good nor bad, it is just luck. Improbable and impossible things happen around him constantly because it's just inherent in his magic.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm a big fan of the Discworld books and have always been on the lookout for an HP/Discworld crossover. I think this idea is the best I've seen so far...

Though to be fair, I've only ever seen one HP/Discworld crossover before, and it was crap.

It would take a truly skilled writer to be able to effectively capture and replicate Pratchett's wit.

8. Aekiel

High Score:
    I think I may have a go at it. I have the vague outlines of a plot in my head. It could work, so I'll go write it down see if I can get it down right.

Besides, the Lady has spawned those shops that you buy something important from and when you go back, its disappeared. The shop that is.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Go for it, I guess. I'll probably have a read of it.

10. The Lord of Chaos

The Lord of Chaos Slug Club Member

Sounds fun, just one problem though. Harry is one of the most unlucky story book characters I've ever read. Lost his parents, grew up unloved in a cupboard, people he loves keeps dying, and he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders. Alternatively, you could say that because of his ancestors, he isn't lucky per say, but he does bend chance. There is a character in a series called The Wheel of Time, who alters anything that has to do with chance, like a flipped coin landing on it's edge, or rolling snake eyes ten times in a row. I suppose you could have stuff like this happen to Harry, and while he is incredibly unlucky you can have the laws of probability bending around him for both good and ill. Just a thought, good luck with your story.

:mid3

11. Styx

Styx Third Year

The power that He Who Must Not Be Named doesnt know is The Goddess Who Must Not Be Named :)

12. Aekiel

High Score:
    I never said that his luck was all good. Just look at Rincewind, one of the most unlucky buggers on the whole of the Disc yet he lives through all of his misadventures through luck and... well, just luck really.

I never really watched anime, I'm more of a bookish person. Besides, in a high magical field a coin is very likely to land on its edge... Or turn into something strange and alive. Just read The Color of Magic to see what I mean.

Anyway, look at the books. Harry seems to be very lucky and has fate set against him, because anyone favoured by the Lady has an enemy in fate. Again, look to Rincewind for proof.

Anyhow, I've got a draft of the first chapter done, I should have a finished one by Sunday. So I'll post it then.

Aekiel