1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

A great guide to writing fabulous fanfiction!

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by traildiver, Jul 14, 2015.

1. traildiver

traildiver Squib

xXx__Kittyxfluffyxreveiwsxmpreg__xXx’s guide to writing fabulous fanfiction.
    OK so I wrote this guide to help aspiring authors delve into the wonderful world of writing fanfiction. It will cover all of the important steps required to write a fantastic and original fanfic but before I can get to that we need to talk about the 4 main an most important parts of any fanfiction. They are in no particular order: the summary, the story itself, the title, and the authors note section. Now that that is out of the way we can finally begin.

Ok. so out of the 4 parts of any fanfiction the title and the summary are the 2 most important parts. Now I would say they are both about equally as important but sine creating a title is hard we will start with the summary and the do the title next. Sound good? Great let’s begin!!!

Ok so before you write your summary you need to understand what a summary is exactly. A summary is a condensed plot summary it should outline the premise of your story as well as any major plot twists so that a reader doesn’t get a nasty shock when the read your story. Here is an example of a good summary by steelbadger:

"What if a certain Slytherin Ice Queen trained Hadrian Peverell Potter Black in how to unleash his Slytherin side? What if the manipulative old coot wanted to keep Hadrian from Draco and Severus, his soul mates? A darker Harry is ready to destroy his enemies (with a katana). Slash. MPreg. Weasley/Dumbles/Moldyshorts-bashing. Trigger warning: suicide."

OK so now that you know what a good summary looks like we can begin. Yay. OK so the first step is to decide where or not your stories going to be slash, this is very important so just take a minute to decide no hurry. OK so now that you have decided on writing a slash story your going to want to add this to your summary “SLASH” right at the very start. When your done it should look like this:

“ SLASH

OK good job the next step is to choose the story’s POV. There are really only 3 good POV’s: Harry’s POV, Draco’s POV, and Snape’s POV. Take a minute to choose. OK awesome. Now just add it to the “tags” section of your summary. IT should look like this:

“ SLASH

{Harry’s POV}”

OK awsomesause. Now we need to come up with a plot. Don’t worry this is really easy all you have to do is pick one from a list. Yep that easy. OK here’s the list just pick a few that you like.

“Creature inheritance, soul bond, harem, slash, more slash, even more slash, Slashib, Bad!dummbles, 3way, time travel, future knowledge, prodigy, eidetic memory, animangus form, magical animangus form, multiple animangus forms, multiple magical animangus forms, goblins, magic cores, magic blocks, wrong boy-who-lived, bashing, some more bashing, covert slash, dragons, mpreg, parselmagic, mates, fluff, alternate universe travel, lemon drops, familiars, wandless magic, elemental magic, muggle stuff, guns, muggle army, idiot!voldemort, daddy!snape, reading a book, lord black, lord potter, inheritance test, blood magic vampires, werewolves, love potion, Moldyshorts, training, Slytherin side, Lordship, emancipation, will reading, Potter-Black, betrayal, Hadrian, Suicide, dark!, light!, grey!, political!, fem!, lord!, creature!, veela!, a chance meeting, songfic, sub, dom, kinky shit, wizengamot, and 3wayslashmpregsnarriddle.”

Ok great now just throw the stuff together and viola you’re done your summary. It should look just like this.

"
    SLASH Hadrian Potter-Black and a chance meeting, goblin inheritance, parselmagic, harem, veela!snape, soulbond, more slash, mpreg <Harry's POV> <3 Rate and reveiw.
    "

Now we can get started writing. JK lol got you, we gota do something else first. Yep you guessed it the disclaimer. Now the disclaimer has to be funny cute and original cuz its what attracts people to your story. I suggest something along the lines of “HP not mine its Jo’s cuz if it was their would be more sexy snape time <3 <3 LoL xddd” if your having trouble you can just use mine.

Ok now time to write the story!!!! All you gotta do is let loose and write, write write. That right you do not have to make a plan for your story or foreshadow you want to know why. You do don’t you. OK you ready for this it’s something called and authors note. That is right all you gota do is in anything is confusing or does not make sense just explain it in an author’s note and you done. Happy writing and remember editing for betas and DLP not for someone as gifted as you don’t waste your talent doing grunt work.

Kittyxfluffyxreveiwsxmpreg out!!!

:fire
    This is a parody pls don't kill me. I should also note that this based off a guide I found online for a diffrent fandom all I added was the harry potter and other dlp refrences, steelbabgers summary instead of an equaly bad one and the final half of the final paragraph the core remains the same including the masive amounts of "OK". :cry:

Feel free to remove this thread mods.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

I think you don't understand the concept of parody.

3. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Edit.

What, exactly, is the parody?

4. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

And the reason for that is that the OP appears to be about 12.

5. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Awesomesauce! Ok?

6. traildiver

traildiver Squib

The original guide was for frozen fanfic writing.
    One of the kids I coach, a 13 year old girl was rather proud of the frozen fanfiction she had written. It was rather awful and she showed me this guide to writing fanfiction that she used to write it. I could not find it once I got home so I made up a Harry potter version As dlp seems to enjoy the worst summary thread.

7. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As the others said, what's the parody? This is something that one could actually find in a FFN profile. Did this really need its own thread? Sticking Steelbadger's name in there does not turn it into a parody.

What the living, breathing, breeding fuck.

8. TMD

TMD High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

This is a shit thread. 2/10 for making me click.

9. Hachi

Hachi Death Eater

The deconstruction of a shitty fanfic writer's thought processes could have been funny.

Your post isn't, however. :sherlock:

10. Joe

Joe The Reminiscent Exile ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter ⭐⭐⭐

High Score:
    This has always intrigued me. For the adequate to good to great writers, even, as well. Their process and quirks.

I know when I got my start and wrote that Hero Trilogy 12 years ago (holy shit, is that right? 2004.) I had such surges of excitement as I wrote what felt like gold. Looking back now... not so gold. I was just after Barb, and borrowed heavily from Psychic Serpent. RossWrock and I, Jeconais and MelindaLeo, few other names, all burst out of the gate together. It was an interesting time.

I wonder if any of you can tell me - am I the last still writing (updated Unfound Door two months ago)? I never kept in touch as I should have, and I haven't read any fanfiction in years.

11. DC

DC Groundskeeper

Jeconais, as far as I know, is still active. Bit of google-fu tells me he updated last Christmas.

Would I voluntarily read his new works? No.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

Melindaleo came back to writing fanfiction a month or so back after a long hiatus. She now updates regularly, just updated an hour ago infact. Wrote 24k words in the last month. Which, of course, means that you should write more fanfiction too. You know, for reasons. An Unfound Door could use more words. Or All My Love to Long Ago. Especially the latter one.

Just in case you wanted a trip down the nostalgia lane, Melindaleo's latest:

These Cuts I Have: The war has been won, yet the aftershocks continue. The scattered survivors are left to pick up the pieces and find ways to move on. Join the various members of the extended Weasley family as they struggle to rebuild and cope with the consequences. And of course there are still Death Eaters left to find.

Sorta surprising she's writing something like this, given that she wrote action/adventure stories before they became the norm. Then again, she always wrote canon compliant stories, so may be not so surprising.