1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

5 Games forever

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Erotic Adventures of S, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

For reason X, you can only play 5 computer games for the rest of your life. No internet access or multiplayer.

1) Final Fantasy 7

2) Knights of the Old Republic

3) Civilization IV

4) Command and Conquer: Red Alert

5) Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos

2 and 3 have massive replay appeal, and 1 and 3 have good RP which I always loved. Finally 4 and 5 for RTS games.

As for game that didnt quite make the cut, the other games in the Warcraft, Command and Conquor and Civilization series. Also Starcraft was a close runner up for Red Alert.

Also I would have like a Battle for Middle Earth in there, but I played it so much already back in the day its replay appeal is kind of low, still a fantastic game.

2. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

I've just gotten aboard on the Civ 5 train, but I feel like this is a game I could play for years a million different ways.

Final Fantasy 9 would probably make my list, too. Warcraft 3 for sure, cos the map editor would let you do a fuckton of stuff.

3. TSN

TSN Auror

1: Freespace 1-2 (they count as one i n my head) (best space based campaign Ever! IMHO)

2: Command and Conquer : Red Alert (Nostalgia RTS, still one of the best one ive played)

3: Conquer's bad fur day 64 (because...)

4: Rise of Nation 2004(or the remastered version curently on steam) (own 4 copie of the 2004 version AND I feel like getting the remastered version)

5:The elder scroll V: Skyrim (that game has no END!)

---------

Didnt make the cut but close, Assassin creed 2, brotherhood, Clive barker Jerico, Deux-ex Human Revolution and Dragon Age: Origin.

4. Erotic Adventures of S

Erotic Adventures of S Denarii Host

The ability to replay is probably what tips it in favor of games like Civ, which is a shame since its not really possible with RPGs (although Diablo did a decent go at it).

As much as I love FF7, and have played through it maybe 10 times, every time is less fun than the one before. At the moment it is mostly nostalgia.

5. Oment

Oment The Betrayer DLP Supporter

Are we including or excluding expansions in this? Base Civ IV/V aren't that good, the expansions, however...

Anyway, I'm assuming including in my list.

1) Europa Universalis IV
    2) Civ IV - beating out V because of actually competent AI.
    3) Heroes of Might and Magic III
    4) Warcraft III
    5) Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Honourable mentions: Rise of Nations, Starcraft II, Crusader Kings II, Transarctica [assuming DOSbox-esque shit is installed], Might and Magic VI/VII, FM 15. Disqualified because I'm using PC only: Golden Sun: Lost Age, Pokémon, Xenoblade Chronicles.

I like managing things, can't you tell?

You are the great mighty poo? ;)

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    TSN
  6. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    1) FIFA
    2) Struggling to think of any others... d:

I think I have a combined total of 5000+ hours in this series.

7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

1) Diablo 2 (the best Blizzard game)
    2) Age of Empires 2 (the best RTS)
    3) Civilization Call To Power (my favorite Civ)
    4) Earthbound
    5) Tie between WC2 and C&C RA

There's a couple other games I wouldn't mind, such as CK2 or Halo 2 or baldur's gate: shadows of amn. Too many to think about probably.

8. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

Since others have included console games as well as computer games:

1. FIFA 15 (although ask me again when PES 2016 and FIFA 16 come out)
    2. Morrowind (Skyrim if we can have mods)
    3. Crusader Kings II with all DLC (and preferably Elder Kings and ASoIaF mods)
    4. StarCraft II
    5. Pokémon HeartGold

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  9. Hal

Hal Professor

1. TF2
    2. CSGO
    3. CK2
    4. Oblivion
    5. KOTOR

10. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

1.) M&B: Warband ( ideally with mods )
    2.) Civ IV
    3.) Hearts of Iron II
    4.) Europa Universalis IV
    5.) Crusader Kings II

11. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'd have to go for games with lots of replay value, or procedurally generated ones, so...

1) Civilisation V - Tops out IV because of the religions and hex rather than squares.
    2) FTL - A rogue-like that doesn't look like shit and is difficult as hell. Also good for when I don't want to put too much effort into a game. I go through periods of can't-be-botheredness.
    3) Dwarf Fortress - Maybe with only 5 games to play I'll actually master it.
    4) Europa Universalis IV - Hard choice between this and CK2, but I prefer the Age of Colonialism to the Medieval period.
    5) AI War: Fleet Command - On par with Dwarf Fortress for complexity. I could go years and still never use every combination of ships available in this. Also hilariously difficult, so it'll keep my interest.

12. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

1. Baldur's Gate II

2. KotOR

3. Mass Effect Trilogy

Okay, that takes care of the incredible Bioware RPGs with unforgettable characters and stories. Last two slots will have to go for reply value / sheer entertainment.

4. Starcraft II. Maybe if it were one of only five games I could play, I'd actually get good enough to not lose to 11-year-olds all the time.

5. Civ 4/5. Not sure which one. Civ 5 is prettier and probably better overall, but I've logged more hours on Civ 4 and there's a nostalgia factor.

13. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

I'm breaking the rules a little and am assuming internet access.

1) Age of Empires 2 - my fav old rts
    2) Civ 5 - Civ 2 was the civilization that I played the most but it would feel dated.
    3) Counterstrike - I have sunk a lot of time here
    4) World of Warcraft - lots of replay value
    5) Carrion Fields - best mud I ever played

If I had to stick to no internet swap out carrion fields, wow, and counterstrike for rise of nations, heroes of might and magic 5, and starcraft 2 or if I can include console games Zelda Ocarina of Time

14. KGB

KGB Headmaster

That no internet access or multiplayer really limits the choices tbh.

1/2)EUIV/CK2

Infinite replay value the video game 1 and 2

3)Madden or FIFA,

the one with the more solid career mode havent played in a while so can't decide
    between them.

4)Some grand master chess program.

I never got really good at chess If I have the rest of time to play I might actually learn.

5)Sim City 4.

I have this thing where I dislike something about my city and instead of fixing it I just restart the game. So perhaps I could finish it once.

15. Warlocke

Warlocke Fourth Champion

1: Terraria
    2: Age of Empires 2
    3: Unreal Tournament 2004 or Far Cry 2/3
    4: GTA: SA (Needed a driving game, I haven't played V, and what I've played of IV is just depressing. SR3 might have gone here, if it had an integrated mp3 station: If I'm only playing one sandbox driver for the rest of my life, I'm going to pick my own fuckin' music), maybe.
    5: lolAngbandFuckIDunno :fire Fallout: NV?

C&C: Generals gets an honorable mention in the RTS category (maybe if you could build walls...).

Games that rely heavily on a linear story don't fare well in lists like this, because you can only replay something like that so often, otherwise there would be at least one Bioshock game on here.

I'm this close to shit-canning the sandbox driver and replacing it with Carmageddon 2, for sheer, mindless, glorious, car smashing.

MW3 would make it, if you could play multiplayer games offline using bots - sometimes I just want to shoot a bunch of digital people full of holes (which is where UT2k4 or Far Cry would come in).

If Borderlands (2) didn't get so damned repetitive after a while, it might have made it, too.

Call it undecided. I fail at this.

16. Alpharius

Alpharius First Year

1. Knights of the Old Republic - This is such an immortal game. The characters, the storyline, the best Star Wars setting you could ever ask for.

2. Hotline Miami - For the surreal, hallucinogenic, darkly twisted narrative. Incredible soundtrack.

3. Hotline Miami 2 - The greatest video game soundtrack of all time. The emotion of the Power Plant level, the manic Death Wish rampage, were the single most involving experiences a gamer could ever have. It told a very poignant story.

4. Counterstrike: Global Offensive - Only shooter that tests reflexes and reaction time, and incorporates team strategy, that actually has a player base. If only they didn't nerf the goddamn AWP.

17. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    1. Skyrim
    2. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
    3. Mass Effect
    4. Arkham X (City's probably the better game, but I slightly prefer the story in Origins. Haven't played Knight, so can't comment on that, and Asylum is fantastic but not as replayable as the later games imo)
    5. Probably Halo.

18. Nauro

Nauro Headmaster

Difficult.
    My first instincts are to load up on Paradox time sinks.

Meaning Mount And Blade: Warband and Crusader Kings 2 are a must take, and most probably even Hearts Of Iron 3 (4?) and Europe Universalis 4.

Then, there's Dwarf Fortress - same as Aekiel, haven't gotten too many hours into that one, but it could be a glorious time sink, given time to adjust. (Just returned to try the difficulty curve again, with a few handy utilities, like DwarfTherapist.)

I'd also consider removing either one or both of HoI an EU, because whenever I try either one of them, I keep thinking of CK2. I could decide to swap in either Skyrim or XCOM - both can eat up a lot of time.

I'd jump to add Mass Effect series, too, but only if all three games count as one, otherwise Skyrim and XCOM are better choices.

In the end, the last three entries of the list might end up with games that I like a drop less, but that could be played for a really, really long time.

Still, with both Mount and Blade and Crusader Kings 2, I'll end up playing them for majority of the time, whatever the other three games could be :D.

19. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

20. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I can't really do this challenge, or at least not to my satisfaction.

The games that would have /that/ much replay value for me would probably be co-op games, because if I'm going to replay something a bunch of times it's because I want to hang out with buddies. That requires internet access, which is forbidden by the initial post.

Games that I enjoy playing solo are usually RPGs. Things like FF or Zelda or whatever else. And for me those aren't something I want to replay constantly. Even your favorite books get old if you never get to read anything else.