1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

TinyHunt #5

Discussion in 'Little Italy' started by Eidolonic, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Moderator note: While not strictly necessary, making vote and elect votes on a new line, and colored would make my life a lot easier. See Citrus' post #16.

Vote Count #2
    Sesc (4): Snowvon, Citrus, Fontisian, Cobalt
    Citrus (2): Sesc, Taure
    Snowvon (2): Jan, The Waco Kid
    Newcomb (1): Irene
    Irene (1): Newcomb

Abstaining (3): Kalas, Nae'blis, Riley

With 13 alive, 7 is soft lynch, and 10 is hard lynch.

Lump, the Friendly Panda Elect #2
    Citrus (3): Jan, Cobalt, Snowvon
    Waco (1): Waco
    Newcomb (1): Newcomb
    Jan (1): Citrus
    Irene (1): Irene
    Taure (1): Taure

Abstaining (5): Fontisian, Kalas, Nae'blis, Riley, Sesc

Lump Elect is decided by plurality.

(Let me know if there are any mistakes, or just clarify your vote in your next post if it's not what you think it should be)

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since it seems that I won't be getting lump, I'm going to switch my lump vote to the only other person who wrote a campaign post giving reasons why he should get it.

Rescind lump vote

Lump: newcomb

3. Nae

Nae The Violent

Good stuff. Good drama. Nice start to the game y'all.

Reading through the entire thread. Can't say who is who for real for most of the players. It'd be entirely speculative with no real basis.

My problem is fonti, who has, as pointed out earlier, done nothing but give out dismissive judgements with not a whole lot of justified rationale.

As an aside, if someone is using outside-the-game references, I request them to explain it as well (last mafia I played was about 3 years ago). I have no idea what a "garcia" is, for example.

Lump: Newcomb

because it's the only plan we have so far.

Vote: Fontisian

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  4. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I logged on at 2am last night, three hours into the game, expecting a little RvS nonsense. Instead I get several massive posts from Newcomb/Irene started by a mechanics discussion. Which is what Newcomb has used every game so far to get discussion rolling. I don't like it but it also isn't a scum tell by any definition of the word.

That's where the Mathblade comparison comes from. A needless amount of tl;Dr's. The hat thing Was from the last game of mafia on site. Fonti subbed in and posted a picture of herself in a wolf hat. She was scum. It was my very subtle way of asking Snow's opinion.

Now that I'm awake I'll be looking through the whole Newcomb interaction with a fresh eye. See what's there.

5. Skeletaure

High Score:
    I agree that Fontisian's insistence that Sesc is a witch is kinda weird. That said, there's a bit of a contradiction here: if deciding on the lynch target is "entirely speculative with no real basis", then Fontisian just deciding to lynch someone without a rationale makes sense.

6. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Garcia is when you answer a question specifically directed at someone else.

7. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Nae, remember you can't edit your posts.

Incidentally, I suspect Citrus is a communist.

8. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Moderator Note: Effective immediately Typhon replaces Irene.

Also, yes, make sure not to edit posts. Mafia forums are an exception where double posting is fine. Just don't go nuts and abuse it, taking your time and thinking is allowed.

9. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Good morning!

Gonna do a little first reread of last night, which will most likely end in me giving a read or two.
    If anyone wants to talk/has questions in the meanwhile - i am around and will try to look at the end from time to time.

10. Nae

Nae The Violent

True. But until I see a better scum read, I'm sticking with my vote. Gotta get someone.

---------- Post automerged at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Also, my edit was a typo fix. But gotcha.

11. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Rescind Vote.

So here's my opinion about the Newcomb issue.

The entire thing was blown way out of proportions. There wasn't a soft-claim in there, even though I dislike the original post alright -- Newcomb first putting out the "everyone checks the lump" idea, and then pushing for getting lump, while repeatedly doubling down on the idea, looks at this stage basically like a call to get checked. I'm not entirely clear on the motivation.

Equally out of proportions were the reactions, which is the more important thing, probably. Newcomb invested too much into the defence for my tastes and got out of it worse for wear; and Cobalt/Irene created enough drama for a broadway stage. Since it ended with both assuring each other their towniness, there's even a happy ending. How quaint. Do I have to be convinced?

Of course, there's also the reactions that weren't there. I'd have honestly expected more flak for my vote -- Newcomb focused solely on Irene, and skipped me entirely, as did The Waco Kid. Why @both?

---

Finally, Panda time! I nominate myself.

Lump Sesc

12. fontisian

fontisian Slug Club Member

Not true. I was just politely letting you know that Sesc is a witch for multiple reasons. If you need elaboration on any of them, feel free to ask.

Have you considered not being a witch?

But seriously, if you could explain what precise parts of Irene's original thing you agreed with and why (addressing my concerns in particular) and how your comment to Cobalt was at all relevant, we might get somewhere.

---------- Post automerged at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:06 PM ----------

Ooh, shiny.

And yet you claimed to agree with everything Irene said, which included the soft-claim bit. Explain, please.

In shocking news today, a new player, when attacked by a strong player with literal walls of texts, tries to defend himself. Also, dihydrogen monoxide is discovered to be vital to human life.

You seem annoyed that two people correctly townread each other. I'm townreading Cobalt and had no problems with Irene, so you can see why I find your suspicions sans reasoning, well, suspect.

I'll add that you're not giving reasoning here but rather summarizing events. I'll use a buzz word and call this Information Instead of Analysis (IIoA), a common scum tactic, especially among scum who happen say something false early on and have to talk their way out of it.

13. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

"I seem annoyed that two people correctly townread each other"? How on earth would I know what's correct or not? I gave my opinion, which is that there was too much drama in the Cobalt/Irene exchange, and that I found the ending of it odd. Ditto for Newcomb, so I don't see how you can call it summarising -- it doesn't get more subjective than what I just posted.

Also, if the Citrus thing I kept poking at (e.g. #97) doesn't strike you as noteworthy at all, we aren't as much in synch as we used to be; and the same goes for my vote. #131 was my opinion on the issue, at any rate.

14. fontisian

I don't find it odd that when Citrus said he voted you for a post, Cobalt took him at his word and agreed with the reasoning Citrus provided without doublechecking the precise order. He also admitted to it the moment he figured out what happened. There's nothing scummy there, just a bit of human forgetfulness. Why are you so hung up on it?

15. Skeletaure

High Score:
    This stuff puts me on edge. It's a completely false level of certainty. Why would someone claim to be so certain and assert their speculation so strongly? It's completely out of proportion to the evidence. That makes me suspicious - it's a fundamentally dishonest way of dealing with your fellow players.

Fontisian may be town, may be witch, but is definitely dishonest. On the basis that dishonesty is more likely to come from witch than town:

Rescind vote.

Vote: Fontisian

16. fontisian

Try putting those statements back in context, Taure. The first is a tongue in cheek joke. The second, an assessment of Sesc's tone as consistent with someone upset at two townies going from fighting to townreading each other, with the further explanation that I am only townreading Cobalt between the Cobalt/Irene fight. And the third is a factual statement. IIoA is a common scum tactic. Experience has taught me that much.

17. Jan

Jan Fourth Year

Cobalt, honey, you are all over the place.

The good thing about you is, that you admitted to making a mistake.

But you didn't make one, you made several mistakes.

Your posts #48 and #52 don't work with each other.

I asked you why you gave Citrus the lump, since you never gave a townread on him at that point.

You are referring to your post #30 here.

Your response to Citrus, when he asked you what vote you were talking about a few minutes earlier:
    That is impossible! You were answering a question to me about your first long post which ended in lumping Citrus.

Which ended in the following votes

At that point you voted on Irene and Citrus AND Citrus did not mention why he voted. (Regardless of the order at the start of the game)

Your main reason for voting citrus there did not exist at the time being.

You not only had the order backwards, which is why you liked citrus.
    You are saying you liked Citrus for that reason BEFORE he gave any reason.

Please explain a bit more in depth why everything you do looks weird to me here. You didnt make 1 logical mistake, this was a combo of odd happenings.

18. Cobalt

Cobalt Third Year

Jan, go back to that #30 for me. Take a note of the order of my quotes. I quoted Sesc's post first, and then Irene's post in which she talked about Citrus, and demanded an explanation for Citrus's vote. This properly explains why I didn't have the precise order of votes in front of me (Citrus's vote, and THEN Sesc's post) and operated off of a false assumption that Citrus voted Sesc after his original post.

Literally all of those mistakes you quoted were a result of the original mistake, in which I messed up the order of Citrus voting Sesc -> Sesc's first post.

I Lumped Citrus at the end of my original post because by that point I had already made the mistake and assumed that Citrus voted Sesc because he found him scummy after his first post, which was not the case because Citrus voted Sesc before he originally posted. But in fact, I did explain other reasons why I saw him as town / wanted to Lump him (his first post of "I am the Priest" as a towny distraction, and the fact that he didn't self-Lump) so those mistakes didn't really affect my willingness to Lump him at all, especially not as he continued posting.

Does that clear it up, or is more explanation necessary?

---------- Post automerged at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Woops, forgot to tag, Jan

---------- Post automerged at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:00 PM ----------

In sum, the one logical mistake I made caused the combination of odd happenings that surfaced due to the false impression I was under (and that Irene subsequently followed) until Citrus cleared it up himself.

---------- Post automerged at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Mmmmmmkay. Still waiting.

---------- Post automerged at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I don't like Taure so far this game.

---------- Post automerged at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM ----------

Why do you find it so difficult to believe that two people can argue over a clash in policy and then end up reading each other town?

I didn't even read Irene as town after all of it, she was still a scum lean because I still found her posts at Newcomb originally as scummy, but I asked her if she thought I was town and the answer was yes.

How is that ending odd?

19. Typhon

Typhon Order Member

Alright, I've been making some notes in my QT, and I've read the thread a few times now. I'm about to have to drive for a few hours back home, but when I get stopped this evening I'll be full steam ahead. I'm finished with work for the summer, so I have nothing but time on my hands till classes start.

20. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

Welcome, Typhon! You just replaced into the scummiest slot in the game, so, er... like Jan said last game, be town or be dead I guess :/

I re-read the thread this morning, and here are the biggest takeaways / questions I have.

In no particular order:

- Jan, can you go over your first couple posts to me/Irene and tell me why it looks like you're shooting the middle? Like, I say "here's a plan!" and you go (paraphrasing) "I see nothing wrong with that." And then Irene dumps her tl;dr on me attacking the plan, and you say, to her, "I agree Newcomb's reasoning is off." This is my biggest issue with you right now and I kinda think you're town, outside of it? So clear that up for me please.

- I'm feeling more and more like Cobalt is my #toptown here. The way he investigated Taure's kinda weird 1st post, the back and forth he had with Snowvon - like, everything he does just feels gamesolve-y. I'm aware of the bias I may have here, given that he went hard on Irene for many of the same things I saw, but... that's far from the only thing he's done, and all of it looks pretty good. Yeah. The more I think about this, the more I'm solid green on Cobalt.

- fonti reminds me more of the way she went after Pozzai in Narutomafia - like she's really focused on Sesc, trying to get something out of him. She's got a plan, a hunch, whatever, and she's going for it. In Hannibal Mafia she was scum and was just straight up trolling. But - she replaced into kind of a fucked slot? Posts like this one, though. That seems town-motivated to me. I remember in Narutomafia she "pulled back the curtain" a few times for me when I was frustrated with her kind of... oblique? posting style. I'm going with "green tinged with the yellow of extreme paranoia" here.

- Snowvon - it's pinging me a little that so many of his posts are kind of "helpful, jokey, informative." Like, jumping in to explain the MathBlade thing, the fonti wolf hat thing. He's not lurking like he did as scum in Narutomafia, but he's also not the town presence he was in Hannibal Mafia. Bleh. I did like this post. I especially agree with the Citrus part. It IS hard to explain! Citrus, to me, is like looking at one of those 3D paintings and it's like, "no boat, no boat, no boat, no boat, what the fuck is this, OH SHIT, it's a sailboat!" I'm, like, way less sure than you are, but I know what you're talking about here.

- Now that Taure's posted some content, I've got some concerns. Like, this post seems to indicate his approach to the game. My first instinct is to nod my head along, because that's basically exactly what I thought in my first game. I think I literally said the words, "D1 seems like such a crapshoot." But, a couple things here: a) Taure is not a new player, b), as was pointed out to me when I expressed that sentiment, throwing up your hands and saying "zero information" gives you an excuse to be less investigative, and c) it's actually not true? There's a ton of information out there.

Taure, I'd be curious to hear how you plan to approach the middle/end of the day. Because to me, your posts sound like you're going to kind of passively let wagons form, then hop on the bandwagon of your choice, based on their rhetoric and persuasive skills. And that... doesn't exactly have a towny flavor.

___

Just a PSA to folks: there was a storm last night here (lost power for a bit), and it royally fucked up the orchard. I'll be AFK for a large portion of the day outside trying to save fruit trees. I'll have my phone and will check in.