1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Question about PC gaming as opposed to buying a platform?

Discussion in 'Gaming and PC Discussion' started by Peter North, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I vastly prefer console gaming to PC gaming... and yet all the gaming I do currently is on a PC. I tend to play a few games a lot, rather than a lot of games quickly, and consoles come out a bit too fast for me to keep justifying the cost of the console plus games every time the damn things upgrade. Especially since most of them don't stay backward compatible for long.

2. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

I don't really agree with that sentiment CheddarTrek. If you bought an Xbox 360 in 2005 then you've only had to upgrade once (to PS4 or Xbox One) and you're still probably good for at least 5 more years. A good gaming PC costs at least twice as much, a really good one at least 4x the cost of an xbox. The Xbox One is also adopting backwards compatibility for 360 games.

The real arguments against consoles in my opinion are 1) you have to pay for multiplayer (and you get better multiplayer and games as a result). 2) You can't use mouse and keyboard as input methods which are superior in some games. and 3) a top of the line PC has more horsepower than any console.

3. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Erm, Divinity and Rocket League are on or coming to console.

RL was free if you had PS plus.

As for the debate, well, I have both, but 'Naughty Dog'. Nuff said

You've also referred to yourself as a 'dummy', and while PCs are a shit load better than they used to be (and consoles worse), if you're not savvy, just stick to console.

4. Ched

The way I see it is that if I bought an Xbox 360, it would have been solely for gaming, and I wouldn't (1) be done with Xbox games yet from the prior generation, (2) wouldn't get to play any PS2 or PS3 games, and (4) when I upgraded I'd still be missing out on tons of Wii games.

The point is that I can buy a console that isn't going to do anything for me except gaming, and it's only ever going to provide about a third of the games I want to play at most.

Absolutely, except I use my computer for everything. I can use it for games, and while it's true that I still only get about a third to a half of the games I want to play, and they aren't on a console, the cost of the computer will always be worth it. I built this one in Feb 2011 for $700, and it still plays every game I've ever tried to play on it to my satisfaction. When I upgrade I'll be able to toss closer to $1500 into it I want to, but I won't need to to get what I want.

And while yes it costs more, I use my computer for so many things. Even if I wasn't playing games on it, it would still be worth dropping close to 1k on a computer every 3-5 years. Writing, internet, getting work done from home, photo manipulation, backups, videos (I don't have a TV in my house atm), and so on.

So while I balk at paying for a console that I need to upgrade every 5 years that only plays some of the games I want (and in this I'm including how I can't play PS2 games on a PS4, etc), I don't mind paying for a computer that can play the same percentage of games.

All good points. I just don't really care about #1 and #3. And my primary issue with PC gaming is that I hate playing with a keyboard and mouse, even though I still do it (and yes, esp for FPS games -- Borderlands 2 and L4D2 are nowhere near as much fun with a controller, I tried, but still).

/2cents

But let me emphasize that this isn't a right or wrong thing in my opinion. My thoughts/views on console vs PC are just opinions on how I feel about it, your views make good sense as well.

5. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

As someone who owns a $3k gaming PC... I still like consoles more. I think it's due to the immersion factor. When I'm playing on console, that's the only thing I'm doing. But on PC, it's easier to get side tracked. Like, I've put a couple hundred hours into CK2, but I can't really play it without having something going on the side, like streaming Castle or something. But, I can sit down and play Dragon Age on my xbox for a hundred hours without distraction, no problem.

-edit- Also, I doubt I've come anywhere close to using even a fraction of the full potential of my machine, so there is that. I've never really been a graphics whore, and in fact, I've been playing mostly a lot of classic PC games lately, rather than new ones. I'm not sure what that says about me.

6. Big Z

Big Z Headmaster

Divinity 2 will be PC exclusive, I'm well aware that the Enhanced Edition will be coming to console but I consider those separate. PC users will be getting the enhanced edition for free if you own the original game.

Didn't realize about RL but there's hundreds of other great games that prove the point just as well.

One thing I never got is the idea that consoles are cheaper than PC. I'd disagree, unless you never use your PC at all for anything else. Even a mediocre PC that isn't used for gaming can cost a decent chunk. If you re-allocate that console money to the initial purchase price of a PC, you'll have a very good PC that can do a lot more than a console can.

Ease of use and superior multiplayer are the main arguments for console, in my opinion. The exclusives for either side cancel each other out, unless you're a fan of certain studios and have to play a particular game.

Let's agree to disagree.

7. Wizard Giller

Wizard Giller Seventh Year

I guess our only real point of disagreement is how powerful a PC you need for tasks other than gaming which naturally differs from person to person. If I don't game I don't really notice a difference between a $500 pc and a $1500 pc. I don't think most average users would at home unless they're artists in their free time.

I agree with you about controllers vs mouse and keyboard. I am tired?/don't like the feel of mouse and keyboard as much as I used to. Also, while playing shooters I find they're clearly better than controllers, playing controller shooters on consoles is more fun for me. Which seems a little counter intuitive. I was a PC gamer for decades but now I find myself gaming pretty much exclusively on console.

edit: also about your backwards compatible point, on the xbox at least they're bringing backwards compatibility to 360 games and are talking about maybe expanding it to original xbox games as well.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  8. KHAAAAAAAN!!

KHAAAAAAAN!! Troll in the Dungeon –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    The typical response to your argument is that you can buy a console for gaming and a half-decent laptop for all your other tech needs, and it would still be several hundred dollars less than the cost of even a mediocre up-to-date gaming PC.

Having been both a PC and a console gamer, I usually have to side with the console-fags on the point of price. Console gaming + laptop is ultimately cheaper (especially because most PC gamers are also buying laptops or tablets for mobility purposes).

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  9. Ched

Well, I see your point about console + cheap laptop, but I feel my own point still stands. I use my computer for everything. Much nicer to have a solid rig with nice monitors/kb/m/ssd/etc. because I sit at it for hours every day. The trade off for a console + cheap computer isn't worth it because those 6 hours will be in a less comfortable position, etc.

But regardless I think I've drug this out enough. Each to his own? If you're doing more gaming than anything else, then prioritize what will make your gaming experience ideal. If gaming is only a small subset of your week, then prioritize whatever is (if the two overlap).

10. Klackerz

Klackerz Bridgeburner

Console may be cheaper to buy, but the price difference becomes negligible when you factor in the cost of games. Buying games for PC is much much cheaper with all the different sales and bundles.

11. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

Couch multiplayer and exclusive games are pretty much the only reasons I buy console games anymore. I love me some Smash Bros and Bloodborne.

12. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Persona 5.

Lock the thread now plz.