1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm within two chapters of completing a fic that has this as a basic interaction between the two of them, but it's a fifth year fic.

2. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

Link? :mad:

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

4. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    The first few chapters are someplace in WbA. I haven't posted anymore in there because I wanted to finish the story and then go back and make some changes if necessary before submitting it here for review and then posting it over at FF.

5. Nadino

Nadino Third Year

Oh, okay! I skimmed through WBA really quickly and didn't find anything. I'll search more thoroughly now I'm home.

Sorry for the rudeness, by the way. I was in a hurry and really felt like reading your story.

6. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=22364&highlight=Scrubb

I don't think I've posted to the point where their in any kind of training yet. I've also made some adjustments to what's already posted. But, give go ahead and give it a read and a critique. I'm still editing the stuff so it'll still be valid even through the thread is pretty old at this point.

(On second thought, doing that may get you Banhammered since its over 30 days. Send me a PM instead).

7. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

At that point Harry is 15 and she is 17 or 18, right? That means, in my opinion at least, that Harry is still a child after a very traumatic ordeal (16 means driving in the US and beer and wine in Germany) and she is a young adult, who lost a tournament.

The earliest would be for Harry and Fleur to be reunited in the summer of 1996 at the Burrow in my opinion. Teenage Harry, who was forced to grow up faster than his peers watches how Ginny, Hermione and even Molly dislike and ridicule her, while the male population is cowed by her good looks and the temper of the others. After a horrible year with childish adults (Ministry and Snape) and having been on the receiving end of such scorn (2nd, 4th and 5th year) he wants to be a friend for her.

They start talking about trivial matters and she appreciates his effort to make her feel welcome and help her practice english. Obviously this doesn't sit well with the others (girls are still pissed - Ron is jealous - girls are pissed at Ron, because he's jealous - Ron is pissed at Harry), but he doesn't care, because he is enjoying his time with Fleur.

Fleur gets unsure about the whole situation regarding the Weasley family and pushes the wedding backwards. Things start to get rocky between her and Bill and she decides to quit Gringotts to do her own thing. She, like Harry, was a Tri-Wizard champion after all, she doesn't want be some housewife like Molly, which Bill of course takes offence to. She is highly talented with charms, looks good and has style so she could get a job at Madam Malkin's until she's confident enough to start her own business or she stays to become an offical partner.
    (This happens all in the background, Harry hears bits of this through letters between Ron, Ginny and the Burrow)

After the inevitable split between Bill and Fleur, she moves to Hogsmeade and not knowing anybody else writes to Harry. Perhaps reading between the lines Harry decides to sneak out and talk to her. These nightly talks become regular until Fleur finally decides, that Harry should stay one night.

Basically a background romance without any Katherine Heigl comedy crap.

Regarding Occlumency (head-canon is still Santi's version), are there any fics where Slughorn (he's a hidden badass) teaches it?
    Maybe in the summer of 1995, the return of Voldemort is still denied and Slughorn doesn't feel threatened yet, so Dumbledore manages to get him to tutor Harry at the Dursleys. Harry could talk about his adventures and in exchange Slughorn talks about the time when he taught his parents, laying the foundation for further interaction in year 6.

And last but not least, am I the only one, who thinks, that Claire Danes would be the perfect Milf-Fleur?

[​IMG]

8. Odran

Odran Fourth Champion

Not beautiful/gorgeous/attractive enough.

9. Nerox

Nerox High Inquisitor

I disagree. This could be the plot of any mediocre story on ff.net and is nothing special. There has to something else besides just romance and fluff in the story. Like Occlumency. Too few stories use Occlumency and Legilimency as it is. I'd appreciate a story like Taure proposed.

10. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

It could be the romance part of a bigger story.
    The thought of Fleur teaching a 15 year Harry Occlumency and to fall in love with him while she's at it seems too much.

11. blund

blund Disappeared

Ehhh, it'd be like a senior dating a sophomore, which is unusual (even more so when the girl is the senior), but certainly not unheard of. Hell, I've seen it happen more than once. The combination of unusual life experience and fame evens things out a bit too, so in some ways it's even less weird than a 'normal' senior/sophomore relationship.

I'm not saying it's the most likely pairing in the world (or that there wouldn't be a few raised eyebrows) at that point in time, but it isn't even near impossible.

12. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Assuming similar starting ages, Harry is 15 going on 16, and Fleur is 17 going on 18. That's a two year age gap. This hookup was so common at my high-school it's not even funny.

Bashing alert.

13. Corvus Black

Corvus Black Professor

Canon alert.

14. dmacx

dmacx Groundskeeper

Basing my comment off the rest of his post. Delayed wedding? If it's bad enough to switch Fleur to Harry, that's way beyond canon.

15. Hawkin

Hawkin Chief Warlock

That's why it's fanfiction; to change canon. While it could lead to character bashing, a good authour could pull it off without it. It's not hard to get Fleur to doubt the arrangement when everyone in her fiancé's family seems to hate/dislike her. I've met people who had difficulty to stay together for those very reason.

16. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I could see Harry becoming annoyed at Molly and the others for being petty when there's a god-damned genocidal maniac on the loose/the shit they went through last year: all it'd take would be a different remark from one of them than canon to set things off.

Trouble is, there is a very fine line between development (getting into an argument over their petty shit) and 'bashing' in such cases.

17. Stan

Stan Order Member

Don't be ridiculous. Fleur was barely an acquaintance to Harry at that stage, and he felt nothing but mild amusement at Fleur's 'plight' in canon, even joining in a couple of times. You write as if he was extremely irritated at Molly and one remark could tip the balance, when that couldn't be farther from what happened in canon.

18. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

They were essentially dumping on her like she were a piece of shit, just because she had the 'audacity' of being with Bill.

Acquaintance or not, I could see him being irritated at their behaviour by their shitting on someone who doesn't deserve it, given there's bigger shit going on (essentially, "For fuck's sake, grow up!").

It's been a while since I've read the books, granted, but I don't recall him actively joining in on their calling her Phlegm.

Passively letting it slide, yeah, but not joining in on their hyena'ing.

19. Stan

Stan Order Member

20. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

Seems like he's just humoring them to me (from a literary standpoint, feels like JKR is trying to establish a Harry/Ginny moment or two), but I see your point about it being cliched.