1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Muggle Status

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Donimo, Sep 24, 2015.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Donimo

Donimo Auror

I just come here to read stories not to post. I lost patience with forum boards a decade ago. Why was this implemented?

2. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Because someone has been stealing the stories in WbA and posting them whole-sale on FF.net. If you haven't the capacity to integrate into the forum then I have no idea why you would be interested in anything produced by members of said forum.

Your sense of entitlement is disturbing. Unfortunately for you, the only way to regain access would be to increase your postcount, shame, huh?

3. Donimo

Donimo Auror

You think limiting access is going to deter people from sharing the content elsewhere? That is extremely poor reasoning. Limiting access will increase this happening. You don't think the people stealing content will take the time to gain access on here? Obviously the will, they have a more vested reason to do so than the casual readers. The consumers of the content, they're the ones getting fucked. It isn't about entitlement, this is fanfiction. It is made to be read and shared.

4. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Hi.

Domino, the Work by Author forum is not meant to be a replacement for ffnet or any other fanfic website. It's meant to be a place where authors can get constructive feedback on rough copies of their work. I can appreciate that you don't want to post in a forum, but unfortunately, that's what the plagiarist has forced us to do.

Every author on DLP posts to ffnet sooner or later once their chapter is polished, you're not missing out on anything by being forced to wait. On the other hand, you could always try just posting a little bit in order to gain access to it.

5. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Do you really feel this will stop the plagiarist? If it is so easy to gain access than it is nothing but an inconvenience.

6. Newcomb

Newcomb Minister of Magic

You're right. Let's make it 50 posts or higher and a general-knowledge test, and you have beat at least 50% of the mods at arm-wrestling.

7. Jon

Stop while you're behind, all you're doing is making yourself look selfish.

Your stance boils down to 'It makes things harder for me, you should stop it!'

8. Sechrima

Sechrima Disappeared

In all fairness, this could be causing the recent spike in dumbass posts from people who just want to escape Muggle status.

9. moonpotato

moonpotato First Year

If they've already been stealing stories from WbA would it not stand to reason they already have copies of many of the works already? Especially if they are posted to ff.net anyway?

Oh well, guess I'll just have to increase my post count then.

I disagree, someone can enjoy quality fanfiction without wanting to be an active member of a particular forum.

10. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

No, Sechrima, this was only instituted a few hours ago.

Jimbo: the point is that the WbA forum is a place for constructive criticism, not for readers to read and not post something. It's fine that you do that, but that is far from the main purpose of it.

11. d4st

d4st Squib

Hi

I got my muggle status too. I'm usualy a ghost on the forum, i decide to post a story on the review board in order to acces of the work by author thread again but i got a prefix issue :(. I didn't see anything about non english story in the rule, is it posible to post one ?

12. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Joking aside, this would be an actual deterrent instead of just a nuisance that will likely have no lasting impact. It is either easy to gain access, in which case this is an exercise is futility, doing nothing than to annoy those who aren't active posters. Or it is difficult to gain access and the wba forum will be limited to those who are 'worthy'. Right now its the former, and if its the later it has the side effect of making it difficult for people to join the club. New writers, or just people who want to contribute.

13. Jon

You're more than welcome to post a non-english story for review. Be sure to identify the language it's written in and there shouldn't be any issue. Depending on the language, not sure how many people will be able to read it, but there's no reason not to post it if you feel it's a good story.

14. Stan

Stan Order Member

This could be problem. We will probably have a lot of new people making dumbass posts in the near future just so that they can access the WBA section.

I just hope there aren't any more Emma Watson threads.

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Fortunately, the mods are generally pretty on the ball with regards to enforcing DLP's general standards of posting quality, in terms of both spelling and grammar and also avoiding forum spam like off-topic discussions.

If a new member is making decent-quality posts that contribute to the community in a positive way, then I'm happy for them to have access to WBA. If they're not capable of doing that, then they're no loss to us.

Sure, this isn't a perfect barrier against plagiarism. But it at least makes it harder to plagiarise casually. You not only have to have made posts in the community, but you also have to do so in a way that doesn't get you banned.

That's actually been surprisingly hard for many of the plagiarists who have plagued this site in the past.

16. boredrandom

boredrandom Squib

well I this could also force the readers to be more interactive which is good thing.

17. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Getting banned in the past wasn't really a barrier since they could just sign up again I suppose. My real complaint here is that this new system inconveniences me. Obviously this makes me a bit of a twat, but I'm resigned to that fact about myself. What bugs me is that myself being inconvenienced seems to be for a pointless reason. I don't see how this new system can be a deterrent, it isn't hard to make the required posts. Someone intent of plagiarizing wouldn't find it difficult to do so, and would only have to do it the once. I also think there is the real possibility that this system will actually cause people to copy and paste these stories elsewhere since not everyone will have access anymore.

18. Jon

You're like 4 posts away from the quota unless I'm mistaken, has this really been that big of an ordeal for you?

19. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Ban evasion through creating a second account is *drumroll* a banable offence.

20. Donimo

Donimo Auror

Which is my point. The barrier to entry is so low as to be nonexistent.

Not open for further replies.