1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

New and Almost Recommended Harry Potter Fanfiction

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Dark Minion, Sep 20, 2014.

Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan

Stan Order Member

It's in the thrash bin actually.

2. Genghiz Khan

Genghiz Khan Headmaster

'Cause DLP's a bunch of sadistic violent motherfuckers.

Wait...

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Not going to post this one in For Review, because I barely skimmed a couple of chapters, but some might enjoy it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9640503/1/Unlikely-Mentor

Basic idea is post-GoF, Dumbledore gets Slughorn to teach Harry occlumency.

The idea is interesting, but the story itself is inexplicably dull. I think it's a classic case of the author not knowing how to focus on important details and gloss over the unimportant, so we end up with absolutely everything related to us in excruciating detail.

As a result of the dullness, I was basically unable to maintain any interest in the fic. I skimmed four chapters and gave up. However, others may have greater patience than I and enjoy it.

4. Persephone

Persephone Fourth Year

My biggest problem with this fic is the pacing. And plot. And character 'development'. And clichés. And false advertising.

Here's the summary:
    The first two chapters are actually pretty interesting. We see Dumbledore convince Slughorn to come back and Slughorn coming to Hogwarts. After that we switch over to Harry and the plot comes to a screeching halt. Harry doesn't leave Privet Drive until chapter 10. He doesn't meet Slughorn until chapter 15. Chapters 3 through 10 are an even split between canon rehash and indy!Harry nonsense (Dobby being super helpful, Harry being different for no reason, Harry giving a damn about his 'wizard heritage', Harry telling off everyone including Dumbledore and the Dursleys, etc etc) After a while I got bored because the author takes forever to get Harry and Slughorn together. And I honestly forgot that Ginny was a part of the story. What a waste of a decent concept.

5. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

Thanks for convincing me not to read this fic.

6. flaze

flaze Squib

Deal with a Devil

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11188292/1/Deal-with-a-Devil

She was an agent of Evil who regretted her choices. He was a child with a destiny too heavy for his shoulders. Is the Wizarding World ready for a Boy-Who-Lived influenced by a reforming Fallen Angel? …Probably not. NOT Harry/Lash

Harry picks up lasciel coin,learns dresden style magic, shenanigans happen. It has a pretty fast update rate.
    At best a guilty pleasure, especially at around chapter 10, So your mileage may vary.

7. Johnnyseattle

Johnnyseattle Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Same author as Black Princess Ascendant. Not sure if want.

8. The Iron Rose

The Iron Rose Chief Warlock

Ugh. No thank you.

9. frantic

frantic Boosted

It's been recommended before.

The author has talent in that every chapter after 5 or so, it got a little bit worse. That takes a very special type of person, to progressively get shittier the further in you get.

10. Peter North

Peter North Dark Lord

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11030096/1/Doeskin

After reading the tale of the hallows Harry should have known Death was petty. Now the "Master of Death" was to be reborn in an exiting world of ninja as a Nara deer. 'Death can't harm its master' his bloody arse

Crossover - Harry Potter & Naruto - Rated: K+ - English - Humor - Chapters: 7 - Words: 23,495 - Reviews: 494 - Favs: 1,290 - Follows: 1,701 - Updated: 19h ago - Published: Feb 8 - Harry P., Shikamaru N., Yoshino N.

Harry MoD is reborn as a Nara doe. Yes you heard me right a female deer. Basically it's about his shenanigans trying to live with the Nara clan. So far it seems to be based around Yoshino and Harry.

Found this fic a while ago and finally decided to give it a read. It's mildly entertaining and I'm hoping Harry becomes his human self again.

The author has another fic with only one chapter so far where Harry gets transported to Naruverse by Dobby. I hope that proves to be as good in the coming chapters.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11532187/1/Harry-Potter-and-The-World-of-Shinobi

Dobby's latest attempt to save "The Great Harry Potter" went really bad. Now trapped in a world of ninja, Harry must face a fate even more danderous than the one he left behind.
    Crossover - Harry Potter & Naruto - Rated: T - English - Adventure/Suspense - Chapters: 1 - Words: 3,747 - Reviews: 8 - Favs: 58 - Follows: 92 - Published: Sep 28 - Harry P., Ron W., Dobby

11. Tutorial Boss

Tutorial Boss Seventh Year

I got something I kinda like. By the author's words, it's semi-crack. Grammatical issues are abound, though not that severe. But it's unique, stupid, and fun.

https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/path-to-victory-–-a-severus-snape-story-worm-hp.357413/

The basic premise is that Severus gets the Path to Victory power of Contessa from Worm. Rest are shenanegans and butterflies. Starts slow, but gets kinda absurd and over-the-top, plus a fast update rate. It's not good and probably won't ever be library-worthy, but it's neat fun.

12. Stan

Stan Order Member

I don't like it. Snape's voice doesn't come across well at all, and the story itself seems lifeless and utterly unfunny.

13. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Well, who in their right mind would like to read a Snape centric story? Of course it is unfunny.

14. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Don't you like Loghain?

15. Captain Trips

Don't you dare compare the magnificence that is Loghain with Snape of all characters.

16. Nuit

Nuit Dark Lord

Yeah, Loghain doesn't have the excuse of being young and stupid for his treachery.

Disclaimer: Before anyone gets the wrong idea, I don't like Snape. :p

17. Stan

Stan Order Member

18. Captain Trips

Well, Loghain did act with to him sensible facts. If you have read the Books, then you understand why he did what he did.

Edit: His betrayal was still a stupid thing, but if he had not done it. Bye bye the army he commanded.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  19. Iztiak

Iztiak Prisoner DLP Supporter

See, I think Snape is fine as a character.

So the story really has no excuse to be, as Stan said "lifeless and utterly unfunny."

Edit:

Additionally, I've felt that as "Snape"(He's really just an OC, isn't he?) just follows whatever directions he receives from "The Path" he's honestly just an odd sort of puppet. Snape has become incredibly handsome, cured Lycanthropy/old age/the effects of dark magic on a whim, dueled the entire Slytherin dormitory and came out unharmed, and probably 30 other things I've already forgotten.

There's no conflict, no reason to read it, it's the author's personal fantasy in which he replaces Snape and becomes a God.

0/5

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  20. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I moved a few posts out of this thread into For Review.

To remind you all what goes in here: A quick repost of the....

Rules for this thread:

• Use this thread if you think a story doesn't deserve its own thread because it's too short to be judged, or if it is so bad it's likely to end in the Trash Bin.

• If you consider the story you want to submit at least almost recommendable (rated about 3/5 or three stars), submit it for review and start a thread in the Review Board.

• Don't hesitate to submit something for review on the Review Board, even if it already was mentioned in this thread. It's way easier to follow the progress and discussion of a story within its own review thread than in here.

• Please don't use this thread just because it's more convenient to post something in here instead of starting your own thread.

If there are further questions, don't hesitate to ask one of our still friendly staffers.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
Not open for further replies.