1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry/Fleur Community

Discussion in 'Fanfic Discussion' started by Methene, Nov 22, 2007.

1. DerHesse

DerHesse Unspeakable

It isn’t difficult to think that canon Harry might become annoyed at such behaviour given that he was on the receiving end more than once. Futhermore it isn’t a stretch for Harry to ask how she's doing and how her time has been so far.

2. Bootleg Beerkeg

Bootleg Beerkeg Squib

Hello folks, new fellow here, recently came across this post and being the Harry/Fleur fan that I am, I decided to ask something. This is a long thread, and finding every decent recommendation on this thread will take me... awhile. So if any of y'all would mind dropping some of your favorite Harry/Fleur, I'd be greatful, though I know decent ones are quite rare.

Also, had an idea. Most Harry/Fleur fics take place in Harry's fourth year, which makes sense, due to the two meeting at this time. But the relationship is often too predictable. They dislike eachother or are indifferent to eachother at the start, since they're rivals, then gruding respect after the first task, then bits of friendship after Harry saves Gabrielle, etc. Even the good H/F ships tend to follow this time period. I thought, perhaps they should meet up again after GoF, but before the start of Harry's sixth year. This would allow for new plots, and could be interesting, since the period around 5th year is when Harry's reputation is butchered by the ministry, and Fleur most likely won't believe this news. Plus, it could make more sense for the ship itself. A lot of people complain about Harry being too young for Fleur. I disagree, the age gap isn't too large, only 3 years. Its the maturity gap, between 14 and 17, when GoF takes place. Harry is, in a way, still a child, even if he is more mature than most 14 year olds, where as Fleur is pretty much a young adult. If the relationship starts later, the maturity gap will lessen, as Harry will be older and wiser. I'd also like to see this done in a way that doesn't butcher Bill, as Weasley bashing isn't that great, and I kinda like Bill.

3. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

So, everyone is just crossposting from Reddit now?

4. Bootleg Beerkeg

Bootleg Beerkeg Squib

I was testing the waters on reddit, and then I decided to actually post on DLP, and hope that someone gets some inspiration. Not a great writer myself, admittedly.

5. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It kind of depends what you are looking for.
    "his angel" i a fluff fic of massive proportions but sadly abandoned.
    "the lie I have lived" is considered one of the all time greats with Fleur.

I personally really like "Champion" because of its different approach to the entire potter world.

"when a veela cries" Is also quite a good read i my opinion.

And I think that "the wizard that meddled with time" has great potetial. But time will tell. :D

6. Joe's Nemesis

Joe's Nemesis High Score: 2,058 ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    God, this is like a mantra around here. Is there a difference? Yes. Yet, I dated a senior (12th grade) when I was a freshman (9th grade) and I know I wasn't the only one. It happens, and it happens more often than people seem to admit around here. What needs to happen to make it work is:

1. Something happens to put Harry in a new light in Fleur's eyes.

2. Fleur sees a maturity in Harry she didn't notice before.

3. She finds herself subtly becoming attracted to him.

That's it. And, it's so general it can be done a thousand different ways without getting cliched.

Either that, or Fleur simply isn't hung up on age and enjoys Harry's company after getting to know him. Not every 17 year old female looks at 14 year old male as a child.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  7. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Yeah, 17 years old just isn't that old, nor that mature. I'm not really sure why everyone get's hung up on that. Doing something mature (such as job hunting) doesn't actually make you mature, so I mostly see maturity as a non-issue.

8. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Not to mention, the way Fleur handles herself in the beginning of the year actually shows her immaturity. Canon-wise, she seems to grow up after Cedric's death (not necessarily because of it, though).

9. Jax

Jax Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

and isnt Bill 7 years older than Fleur? why would it be a problem with Harry/Fleurs 3 year difference when it is not a problem with Bill/Fleurs 7 year difference?

10. crimson sun06

crimson sun06 Order Member

That's different. Fleur's hot and more importantly legal! Just saying.

That being said, personally the main reason I believe that Fleur and Harry as a pairing doesn't work is because none of them has what the other needs. Fleur is glamorous and flighty, while Harry is humble and down to earth.

Making them work requires writing either or rather both of them OOC. As much as I want to see a good story with the pairing, I can't imagine it while staying true to their canon selves.

One way to go about it would be to do it when both are adults and more mature. Then certain liberties can be taken with the characters. But GoF Harry and Fleur really don't work well.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  11. Stan

Stan Order Member

Except both Ginny and Cho were pretty, popular and had a string of boyfriends. Harry's down-to-earth-ness is overstated. And Fleur being flighty is fanon anyway.

You can argue it won't work well because Harry doesn't have any experience with girls. But Fleur doesn't have nearly as many issues as Cho did, so it shouldn't be nearly as much of a disaster.

Fourth year Harry/Fleur is overused, formulaic and generally boring, and this seems to me a greater issue than anything else. And Fleur being Harry's first and only girlfriend seems kinda silly as well.

Post Hogwarts sounds best to me. Invent whatever reasons you have to for their respective canon relationships not working out.

Just don't base the story around yet another Tri-Wizard Tournament. I'm bored of Fourth Year fics in general, and doubly so when it comes to this pairing.

12. ihateseatbelts

ihateseatbelts Seventh Year

Seconded. It wouldn't even be that hard; there's no real reason why Harry and Ginny's relationship wouldn't naturally fizzle out after a couple of years, or that they would have gotten back together straight after the Battle of Hogwarts (someone please correct me on this if I'm wrong).

We know sod all about Bill's character in the grand scheme of things, so the breakdown of his and Fleur's relationship could be anything. Extramartial affair? Sure. Rendered impotent by werewolf attack? Why not?

EDIT: Crack is also an option. Take the following premise:

Harry receives an unexpected letter from Fleur.

13. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    ihateseatbelts, don't diss Bill.

I'm fairly certain that producers of Fantastic Beasts saw this post and decided to base Newt Scamander's character on it.

14. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Hey @Lungs, what happened to your fic ;p

15. crimson sun06

String of boyfriends? Ginny had exactly two and Cho had Cedric before him and Michael after, we really don't know if she had others. I guess it can be argued that that Fleur actually wasn't flighty but then again she and her date did disappear into the bushes during the ball. A guy who couldn't string together two words while he was with her.

Granted Fleur doesn't have the issues Cho did, but she doesn't have anything in common with Harry either. At least he had Quidditch to bond over with Cho. Fleur on the other hand hates brooms.

This is where I agree with you, but then that's exactly what I was saying in the first place.

16. Joe's Nemesis

High Score:
    Except,

Harry and Fleur now have the tournament to bond over, including the tasks, the pressure, dealing with press, etc. In short, they have more to bond over (depending on how it's handled in an AU story) than Harry and Cho.

On the other hand, I think we're forgetting a major element here. Sometimes, there doesn't need to be a reason. She may just feel attracted to and somewhat comfortably around him and decide she's going to ignore the age thing and see where it leads.

It's happened millions of times, even at that age.

17. Gengar

Gengar Degenerate Shrimp –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I foresee a relationship based on a shared TWT experience lasting approximately seventeen seconds.

18. Zeelthor

Zeelthor Scissor Me Timbers

Considering Harry's age, that's probably rather realistic.

19. Spanks

Spanks Chief Warlock

Older woman having a fling with younger boys is hardly unheard of. Has everyone forgotten about all of the teachers sleeping with the students in America? That's an even larger age gap than H/F and it happens allthe time irl.

20. crimson sun06

I think Harry and Cho would have had a better shot at a relationship if it didn't have Cedric's death hanging over it, but I digress.

I agree there's some latent potential in them bonding over the tournament but I really don't see it translating well into a relationship unless you make her OOC.

Not to mention it has been done and I have never seen it done well.

Fleur's attracted to tall, good-looking guys, someone who will look good with her. A bit shallow, yes but that's part of her character and her charm. Harry's not that guy, no matter how much one wants him to be and more importantly Harry isn't attracted to her either.

To reiterate my earlier point. I think the best way to do a Harry/Fleur romance is to do it post-Hogwarts.