1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete Vox Corporis by MissAnnThropic - M - H/Hr

Discussion in 'Romance' started by yojorocks, Nov 17, 2006.

1. yojorocks

yojorocks Seventh Year

Title: Vox Corporis
    Author: MissAnnThropic
    Rating: M (NC-17)
    Genre: Romance / Drama
    Pairing: H/Hr
    Chapters: 68
    Words: 323,933
    Updated: March 30, 2007
    Published: October 6, 2006

Summary: Following the events of the Goblet of Fire, Harry spends the summer with the Grangers, his relationship with Hermione deepens, and he and Hermione become animagi.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3186836/1/
    Link (NC-17): http://fanfiction.portkey.org/story/6586/1
    Link: https://www.wattpad.com/story/110754023-vox-corpis-harmione

I found this jewel a few weeks ago and just decided to share for the sole reason that it was so gritty and realistic that I can't imagine people not wanting to read it for the psychological introspection aspect alone.

It is the ONLY story I have come across that portrays the Cruciatus curse accurately; nearly all the stories go from "oo look at me, I'm being tortured out of my mind, screaming my sanity out" to jumping up and cursing right afterwards or withstanding an half an hour of continuous cursing only to take a potion and miraculously be perfect in five seconds. The curse is a TORTURE curse for Christ's sake, and this goes in deeply to the side and aftereffects of it. It manages to do this without getting flowery or agnsty, which was a real plus for me. It also brings up other things into light, but I don't want to spoil too much plot, but the story brings up a few other concepts like this in new light.

It isn't a typical romance by any means, no boy-meets-soul-mate crap or Heroine!Hermione-saves-the-day-with-Hurt/Comfort, but more of a psychological introspection into how real people would react. Hermione can be an overbearing, controlling bitch, imho, that at times makes decisions to what she thinks is best, because that is what she is. She also shows her insecurities later, the side effect of being pushed aside as a bookworm for so long; she isn't the perfect, invincible, omnicient individual many shippers bring her out to be. Harry doesn't miraculously recover at her touch, nor does he act like a supreme idiot that instantly falls in love with his best female friend. He is a hurt, confused, honsetly naieve, hormonal boy who just got deeply scarred and is trying to come back to reality. There are no miraculous, god-like powers, Dumbledore is still an interfering old coot with good intentions, not an evil or perfect god of the world, and Ron is still a 14year-old who is a bit insensitive at times but has a best friend and wants to help him.

This is a serious fic, and the reason for the NC-17 rating is not for smut, but because of graphic, well, 14year-old sex. Be warned.

I would recommend this mainly as an insight into the character's psyches, not as a red-blooded romance.

5/5 for gritty realism in such a degree that it nearly surpasses Jbern's scribing.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 17, 2012
    The NC17 link isn't working anymore, the story seems to be deleted on Portkey

Checked by Sorrows: 03/08/2019
    - New link found

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2019
  2. Darius

Darius 13/m/box

The Octagon - Say that to my face and not online m
    Not smut but graphic? Elaborate please, underage sex happens in every HP novel, even pedophelia.

I couldn't get into, I didn't enjoy it and it's H/Hr I'm surprised I even tried to read it. 2.5/5.

3. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Ehh, the sex didn't bother me about this fic.

What bothered me is the following:

- Sex... right after Cedric Diggory is killed? I know being a prude about that is Camusian, but... I can't see Harry responding to that well.
    - Using movies as canon is a bad idea, if you want hardcore readers to like it. As it is, it screws up a bunch of things - Hermione is not Hermione in this fic, but Emma Watson!Hermione.

I like H/Hr fics, but honestly - this one isn't anything special. Want a special fic? Go read 'Eighth'. 3.0/5.

4. the-caitiff

the-caitiff Death Eater

Got a link to that one? H/Hr is my second favorite ship after H/LL.

It was worth reading when I found it but I wouldn't fave posted this one here. 3.0/5

5. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Eighth.

The same author is on my favorites list. Not everything is as stellar, but at any rate, all of her fcs are at least top-quality, even if I don't enjoy them all.

6. magyareagle

magyareagle Guest

7. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

I dunno. Personally, I thought this was great. While the plot itself wasn't superb, and I was iffy about it all along, the writing skill of the author is fantastic.

4/5, this story is carried by the author's skill. Gonna keep my eye on this.

Only problem was that Hermione was treating Harry as if he was a burden...almost like an injured pet that needs some TLC to be able to approach the couch again, or whatever.

8. ZanyMuggle

ZanyMuggle Third Year

I have to agree with yojorocks and the dread pirate Yarrgh! This fic is something special.

The most unique thing about this fic is that it is an absolutely realistic HP/HG romance. The author does this with careful, thoughtful, character development, not with plot devices or the usual cliches.

As yojorocks pointed out, the author also takes the time to realistically portray the supporting magical characters. Other HP/HG fics have to make Ron a villain, despite what movie!canon and book!canon have to say, in order for the plot to work. MissAnnThropic does not fall back on any such cliche.

I thought Rob's comment about sex right after being tortured and seeing someone casually murdered was a valid concern. However, the sex was born of need for intimacy and reassurance, not of romance or anything sensual. I think this is validated by the fact that they don't immediately jump back into the sack. The act changed their relationship, but it didn't suddenly change Harry's personality, making him an outgoing romantic. It brought him back from the abyss the Longbottoms are in, and let him know that, unlike what past experience would tell him, there is someone out there willing to be there for him.

I also concur with Rob's comment about how using movie!canon instead of book!canon is a bad sign. In my experience, I have almost always seen movie!canon used in immature, 250-words-per-chapter, written-in-crayon fics on ff.net. MissAnnthropic, though, breaks this stereotyppe as well. In my opinion, it's very difficult to support HP/HG from book!canon, whereas Daniel and Emma seem to have more rapport than Rupert and Emma, making the HP/HG ship more believable from that stance. It has not been a hindrance to good writing in this story.

Of course, I agree we'ree seeing movie!Hermione, not book!Hermione. Is that bad?

5/5

9. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:

10. Avitus

Avitus Groundskeeper

Very good story, nicely done. I'm eagerly awaiting updates. 4/5

11. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

Takes way too long to get off the ground, and even now I'm not sure if it is actually off the ground.

The writer appears to have Paffy syndrome (20 chapters on 3 weeks).

12. doc_gerbil

doc_gerbil Sixth Year

this was good i thought. harry/herm is my favorite but i can read it if its well written and this was. i just thought it was funny how they were all like, "ZOMG UNFORGIVEABLES ON A CHILD VOLDERMORT IS SOOOOOOOO EVIL". duh. isnt that what he does. be evil? other than that it was really good. 4/5

13. FairyQilan

FairyQilan First Year

4/5. Its doing well on the personal side. But if i don't some action soon( take that how you will)...

14. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

It definitely doesn't compete with Backwards Compatible and Eighth, but its very good nonetheless. This fic is mostly told from Hermione's POV and the author has done an excellent job with her personality - this Hermione is far more believable than HBP Herman.

4/5

15. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

it's one of the better H/hr fics out there, but it does have 2 problems:
    First the author is moving the plot along at a VERY sedate pace. While that in itself is not bad, some more action (either character interaction or something happening) would help a lot.
    Second it is clearly based on the movies instead of the books, while that is fine since the author states it (in pretty bold letters) it changes a few things compared to the book canon, and not all changes are good in my humble opinion.

The Sex Scene isn't bad, but in all honesty, i dont think it is necessary for the story, it would have worked just as well if harry had simply clung to her for the entire night.

On the topic of Sex right after he saw Cedric die, i don't know if you have ever been in a similar situation but usually either alcohol or sex is the relief of choice among soldiers or people going through similar traumas, but they are usually ADULTS.
    A teenager would not have such a reaction, simply because "casual sex" is not something a hormonal 14year old male does.

16. Theophany

Theophany First Year

I'd have to disagree with you on all points. In fact, on your last point, I'd have to disagree with you based on first-hand experiences.

I had a close friend of mine die when I was 16 years old, a bare one or two years older than Harry is in this story. While I've not had the upbringing that Harry had, I had the same reaction. My girlfriend was there with me when my friend's parents called me, and she was there to comfort me in the only way she could at the time.

It's a natural reaction; someone you cared for--even loved--died (Cedric was something of a hero, or someone to be looked up to from Harry's POV), and you're looking for reaffirmation that there's still life worth living without them around. No, it's not logical, but rarely are human reactions to traumatic events rational.

Regardless, I'd have to say this is one of my top-ranked H/Hr stories, despite using the movies as canon. There's not much of a difference at all between Hermione in the books and the Hermione in this fic, though I do get the feeling that she's got more of Emma Watson's looks than JKR-Hermione does. (It's fine with me; Hermione became Emma Watson as soon as I saw her in PS.)

I thoroughly enjoy the plot. If you don't, I'd suggest reading the author's notes. The story is abut the development of the relationship of H/Hr and how that will effect events. Personally, I like it better than OotP/HBP, as it sticks with the feeling of the previous four books, rather than immediately jumping into darker territory as soon as V is reborn.

Either way, this story gets a heart-felt 5/5 from me. A worthy read if you're looking for something deeper to read, rather than a Harry-gets-super-powers-and-pwns-peple fic.

17. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Right, so yojorocks thinks that this story really shouldn't be in the Restricted Section. I haven't read the story, and really don't want to read 20+ chapters of H/Hr to find out, so to people who have read this story: What do you think? Is this story graphic enough to warrant a place in the Restricted Section? Or should it just be placed in the Romance section?

If you think it's graphic, please paste some quotes so that I may have an idea.

18. Rob

Rob Looked into the void

Given today's standards, this could probably get away without being rated NC-17. Yeah, sex... but tastefully done, implicit, and not massive amounts of rape, or similarly Vashy. Vojo's got it right, in my humble opinion.

19. Palver

Palver High Inquisitor

After the scene in the beginning, there was only slight erotic mentions and no sex scenes, so i don't think that this story should be in RS.

20. slasheh

slasheh Seventh Year

personally i would edit the link to http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3186836/1/ (which is the slightly cleaned up M version) and move it to romance.
    aside from the first chapter there isn't any smut to the story